The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lambda O2 sensor(s) replaced = one hell of a difference

clarky666

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VVTi just has the one, the NA has 2 but the same part number.

89465-19635 Oxygen Sensor - J-spec TT

89465-19725 Oxygen Sensor - J-spec TT VVTi

89465-19605 Oxygen Sensor - Front - UK Spec

89465-19595 Oxygen Sensor - Rear - UK Spec

89465-19615 Oxygen Sensor - NA x 2

They are all the toyota part numbers, its the Denso ones we really need to know which one to get without paying the Toyota price tag.

That ebay link says the one on sale is....

Denso 0655003393 , 0655003432 , 0655003531 , 0655003570 , 0655003571 , 0655003580 , 0655003621 , 0655003651 , 0655003661 , 0655003671 , 0655003702 , 0655003740 , 0655003760 , 0655003780 , 0655007651 , 0655037317R

It can't be all of those can it?!

When I was trading I had a few members/customers comment to me that they had previously fitted an Ebay O2 sensor and noticed little difference. They later fitted a genuine OEM sensor and there was a noticeable difference in fuel economy and low rpm engine response.

Any members done this that can comment?

As I've said on here loads of times before, yes buying a genuine OEM Toyota O2 sensor is expensive, but with the price of fuel it is today, it'll soon pay for itself in fuel savings, you'll also feel the car's a bit livelier at low rpm too.

I'm exactly with you guys, do it properly once as opposed to cheaply twice...

Yes, which is why the cheap Denso ones are the best to go for if you can get the right part numbers. Denso make the OEM toyota ones but you can buy them for 1/3 of the cost of buying it from toyota after they have stamped their part number on it and stuck a bar code on the bag.

Other brands may well be rubbish, which is why I am after only the denso part number.

I still can't get my head around this "you get better fuel economy from a genuine O2 sensor":blink:

All lambda sensors are calibrated exactly the same they all have to conform to a set spec, they sense the unburnt oxygen content of the exhaust gas, provided that they have the correct number of heater wires and are connected correctly there should be absolutely no difference in performance, i always fit the cheaper option pattern ones and never noticed any difference in fuel consumption.

I wonder just how many people have secondary problems with there cars, like dodgy IAT sensors or ECU water temp sensors which can all cause higher fuel consumption.

Oh! and the pattern ones are often made on the same factory line, just a different branding, it happens with a lot of manufacturing.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

It appears you cannot get denso supplied 02 sensors for the NA. I quoted them the part number and they told me that they didnt do one for that model :blink:

Yes, which is why the cheap Denso ones are the best to go for if you can get the right part numbers. Denso make the OEM toyota ones but you can buy them for 1/3 of the cost of buying it from toyota after they have stamped their part number on it and stuck a bar code on the bag.

:yeahthat:

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

I would be interested to know if the one wire sensor from the N/A is actually just a temp sensor like the TT, i thought a true lambda sensor needs a signal wire and an earth wire, but maybe it uses the sensor body as earth?

Edit, just found this so i guess its the body thats the earth.

http://www.lambdasensor.co.uk/main/mcolours.htm

and this, http://www.omnitekcorp.com/images/1wire4wire.gif

Also found this which may be of use to those seeking manufactures, there is also a listing for a Toyota one wire sensor.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/1-wire-oxygen-sensor.html

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

Ok to update this thread a little, after speaking to my local dealer and a bit of arm twisting for NA owners i have a reasonable deal in place on new lambda sensors at £103 + vat each. Ill post up an interest thread later but all i would need it 5 NA owners to make this happen :)

Ok to update this thread a little, after speaking to my local dealer and a bit of arm twisting for NA owners i have a reasonable deal in place on new lambda sensors at £103 + vat each. Ill post up an interest thread later but all i would need it 5 NA owners to make this happen :)

Are they quoting the same price for each of the different oxygen sensors (NA, TT, VVTi, UK TT)? The NA sensors tend to be a little cheaper than the rest.

Rest of part numbers if needed.

89465-19635 Oxygen Sensor - J-spec TT

89465-19725 Oxygen Sensor - J-spec TT VVTi

89465-19605 Oxygen Sensor - Front - UK Spec

89465-19595 Oxygen Sensor - Rear - UK Spec

89465-19615Oxygen Sensor - NA x 2