The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi,Few questions

Guest AdamR

Hi Adam - welcome to the club mate!

In fairness to you I should explain that there are often a load of young lads (usually chavas) come on here talking crap about their plans. Please don't be put off the club by some of the negative reactions - we're just overly wary sometimes ;)

However, you have come up with very plausible explanations to all the questions that have come your way about how you got the cash (not that its anyone's business), job, driving experience etc. and what's more your posts have not been littered with text speak. Basically you seem a decent lad just after some advice so as not to blow your £20k on a crock of s*!t. Wish I had been in your position at 18yrs old :)

Please just take your time and don't rush into anything - you are far better off buying a car from a respected member on here (or have Jurgen source you one - he's based in Cramlington), than you are from Pistonheads / Autotrader. Listen to the advice about starting slowly - buy a TT6 Manual and go to BPU levels first maybe, then start looking to go single.

Of course you are more than welcome to come along to any of the North East meets (not many at the moment like!). There is always the monthly Jap North East meet to go to as well, though generally not too many Supras get to that...

Whilst Michel Lane is a Supra expert based in Durham, the last I heard was that he has stopped working on other's cars. Will probably still offer you some awesome advice though.

Another 2 lads up this way I would definitely speak with are Hodge and Jevansio. I know Hodge is in Consett but not sure about Jay. Have a look at some other build threads in the projects section on here and get a feel for some of the techy terms and what is generally accepted as 'de-facto' standards in big single builds. Don't get too hung up on BHP right from the off - reliability will be key.

Anyway - nice to have another local on board dood. Look forward to seeing what you do. [COOL][/COOL]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is bonkers..

What group 20 RWD car did you have insurance, 1 week after passing your test? I remember paying £1100 on a MK2 golf driver 1.6 when I was 20 FFS!

What exactly do you fit on these building sites, how does it pay £40k per year following 1 year of training? Can you get me a job?

to be fair, i have six 17-19yr olds on 40-50k a year working on my contract, the construction industry can be a brilliant paying job if you can put your life on hold and work the hours;)

ok, an e46 m3, Parents policy..

:blink: Who was this with?? I'm not interegating you, just curious - my dad's insurance company refused to have me as a named driver on his stock Honda S2000, that's with 3 years NCB and I'm a girl! And only this year would they insure me on his '93 Merc E320 as well.

Unless it was on a traders policy?

Either way, what has been posted (well on the most part :D )is correct and the advice is well meant.

Insurance is going to be the biggest issue here, it is possible to get insurance on a supra at 18, but will incredibly expensive. Most insurers won't touch you until you're at least 20.

no disrespect to adamR but i think we better send some flowers to his parents for his funeral....

if your 17 and you want a supra with 800bhp at the wheels then i bet your going to show off to your mates plant the peddle and then whip the rear end round and god forbid crashing killing yourself and your mates that WILL be in the car with you...or some other person in there car..

ive seen this b4 trust me i worked for a company in leeds and there was a lad called brett saved up aload of cash bought himself a mr2 turbo tuned it up and 2 weeks later wrapped it round a telegraph pole killing himself , his girlfriend (my cousin) and seriously injuring a bystander so dont be stupid and just go for something sensible and maybe you might live to see you next birthday

You really need not to be going on about this. We miss these guys :(

Guest AdamR

Thanks for all comments guys, the policy is more than, Mams policy and im a named driver. She has been with them for like 10 years with 10 years NCB Almost. Supra would be insured by them in her name also.

Oh and for clarification im not a chav thanks again.

Thanks for all comments guys, the policy is more than, Mams policy and im a named driver. She has been with them for like 10 years with 10 years NCB Almost. Supra would be insured by them in her name also.

Oh and for clarification im not a chav thanks again.

If the car is purchased by you, but registered in your mothers name for insurance purposes only, that is fraud. If your mother is the owner and driver of the car and you are an additional driver, well that's legal ;)

Good to hear you're not a chav though :D

Guest AdamR
If the car is purchased by you, but registered in your mothers name for insurance purposes only, that is fraud. If your mother is the owner and driver of the car and you are an additional driver, well that's legal ;)

Yeah same case as the car now, Dont suppose it matters that shes never drove it though :p

Yeah same case as the car now, Dont suppose it matters that shes never drove it though :p

What Homer said.

Welcome to the club though, and best of luck with the insurance at your age - I was paying 4 figures on a UK-spec Supra when I was 23 with 6 years NCB!

Excellent link and I think this thread would provide all the details necessary to ensure that a policy fronted by a parent in this instance would result in the insurance being void and improve the chances of those involved being prosecuted.

Insurance is prohibitivley expensive for someone of your age and lack of driving experience for a reason and I think that intentionally putting other road users at risk and breaking the law should be dealt with as harshly as possible.

I could get my insurance considerably cheaper by lying about the policy details, as could many on the forum, however I would not want to void my policy or break the law. Complete honesty when it comes to insurance is the only option, how would you like to be hit by a driver who has his policy voided due to lying about a few details and then have the hassle of taking them to court to try and get your vehicle fixed and compensation for your injuries.

It is people like you who make it difficult for other young drivers to get insurance and make it more expensive for the rest of us to insure our cars.

Sorry to go on but this really winds me up and I hope that you now reconsider your position.

Rant over......!

to be fair, i have six 17-19yr olds on 40-50k a year working on my contract, the construction industry can be a brilliant paying job if you can put your life on hold and work the hours;)

:blink: I'll keep the Degree for later... What type of jobs are these, construction of course but what in particular?

Supra would be insured by them in her name also.

Ah... so "fronting" then. Illegal and prosecutable (which more and more companies are following up on). And in the event you have a crash (probably will with that much hp) you wont be insured, and im sure you know what that means.

Also watch the video linked a post or so above. all members we have lost in crashes in there cars.

well done on putting in the work and getting the money. I was in a similar position. i landed 75k when i was about 19 or so (wont go into how or why as its boring). decided not to spend it and invest it for when i need it. used it to buy a nice house without a crippleing mortgage. and i spend some spending 3 months in florida. it also kept me afloat when i was out of work when i came back to the uk.

I can still afford to drive a supra every day to and from work that has more than enough bhp.

I advise you to do the same. dont blow a load of dosh just because you have it.