The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi,Few questions

Guest AdamR

Adamr.

First of all, welcome to the club mate. Can I ask though how old you are?, you say you're starting an apprenticeship which would indicate to me you're quite young. Have you looked at insurance for the supra TT, let alone an 800bhp monster single.?

You have 20K saved for buying and fettling. but once you're on apprentice wages, I'm not so sure you'll be able to keep up with the cost required to simply maintain one of these cars.

The supra is a great car, and they are reliable. But that doesn't make them cheap to run. Proper care and attention needs to be paid in order to stay on top of it. I spend £150 - £200 per month on bits for my car just to keep her tip top. That doesn't include modifying.

I'm not going out of my way to put you off, but I'd not want to see you in over your head with a car you've thrown a lot of money at, to end up with it half finished and not able to sell it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdamR
Adamr.

First of all, welcome to the club mate. Can I ask though how old you are?, you say you're starting an apprenticeship which would indicate to me you're quite young. Have you looked at insurance for the supra TT, let alone an 800bhp monster single.?

You have 20K saved for buying and fettling. but once you're on apprentice wages, I'm not so sure you'll be able to keep up with the cost required to simply maintain one of these cars.

The supra is a great car, and they are reliable. But that doesn't make them cheap to run. Proper care and attention needs to be paid in order to stay on top of it. I spend £150 - £200 per month on bits for my car just to keep her tip top. That doesn't include modifying.

I'm not going out of my way to put you off, but I'd not want to see you in over your head with a car you've thrown a lot of money at, to end up with it half finished and not able to sell it.

I saved up that money over the last 6 months, i took 3 weeks off and start again in 2 weeks and im planning on working for another 6 month doing what i have been doing in order to save money to compensate for the terrible apprentice wages, i dont want an apprenticeship changing wheels constantly and learning nothing so i might end up working for nothing if the right opportunity came up in order to train at the right place so thats why im going back to work for 6month and trying to save up just incase.

Im 18 in 6 weeks mate and have had some affordable quotes on a modified stock. The question was does your car have any aftermarket modifications, yes or no. there was no questions asked as to what they were :s

Thanks for your input mate

for a propper quote phone or email sky insurance the club insurer. tell them your plans... Even email them a full spec list of the car stated at the top of the thread (as it sounds like thats what your gunning for creating). the sky guys are good and are the club insurer for a reason.

insurance is a funny old thing... but a few years ago i found it very difficult indeed to get insurance on a mildly modded (400bhp) uk spec (usualy slightly cheeper to insure). And i was 24 with 3 years no claims. most companies simply said no. even Sky, adrian flux were the only ones to accept me. Dont forget the supra is a group 19 (or is it 20) car... same as ferrari's and lambo's etc.

You also need to check they are quoting you on the correct model supra. plenty of times owners have been quoted for mk3 supras.

also all the online "compare the meerkat" and confused.com sites are a pile of rubbish. for example comfused.com only returns 1 company that will insure me. and that is £9999 - more than the car is worth!

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

When I spoke to Sky they wanted 3 years NCB or proof of driving for 3 years - RWD cars preferred.

At 18 I would find that hard to achieve!

Let us know the results and good luck with your project.

yeah when i insured my first supra at 20 (NA) they asked if i had rwd experiance... when i said no there was a sharp intake of breath. they accepted me. but just.

Guest AdamR

Thanks for comments guys on the insurance issue thats not a problem ive been insured on insurance group 20RWD car since passing my test 1week after 17 lol! I think i will buy a car already modified something like this one

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=217493

and then in a couple of years when i know what im doing start to modify and make my own.

yeah when i insured my first supra at 20 (NA) they asked if i had rwd experiance... when i said no there was a sharp intake of breath. they accepted me. but just.

You do need to do some research here, i would come to some meets and get a ride in some cars first before you decide what you want. If I had my car at 18 I would have killed myself.

Slow down a bit and do some Reading, there is loads of info here and plenty of people to speak to.

Give me a shout if you need any advice or as already said michel lane is not too far from you.

Other people to have look at first are Jamiep, Paul Whiffin, Dude, Hodge. All have big build threads in the project section which make for good Reading.

Guest AdamR
You do need to do some research here, i would come to some meets and get a ride in some cars first before you decide what you want. If I had my car at 18 I would have killed myself.

Slow down a bit and do some Reading, there is loads of info here and plenty of people to speak to.

Give me a shout if you need any advice or as already said michel lane is not too far from you.

Other people to have look at first are Jamiep, Paul Whiffin, Dude, Hodge. All have big build threads in the project section which make for good Reading.

Yeah i read all of hodges build, is it ok to go to a supra meet, not in a supra?

Guest AdamR
Ive been spending far too much time at landoverbaptist.net, I think this young heathen is breaking the ninth commandment. :D

lying? about what?

Guest AdamR

Just looked at your car right now, how much money do you think you put into car if you dont mind me asking?

In no means to disrespect you, I just feel that if you have earnt 20k in six months you are either on £500 a day cash, or the equivelent of £60k+ a year.

Now, why would you stop doing what it is that you are doing, to work as a mechanic on such a lowly wage, surely mechanics should be a "hobby" aside your money-maker job?

Now if you confess to being a rent-boy and repent your sins to jesus, thou shalt be forgiven - :D

Guest AdamR
In no means to disrespect you, I just feel that if you have earnt 20k in six months you are either on £500 a day cash, or the equivelent of £60k+ a year.

Now, why would you stop doing what it is that you are doing, to work as a mechanic on such a lowly wage, surely mechanics should be a "hobby" aside your money-maker job?

Now if you confess to being a rent-boy and repent your sins to jesus, thou shalt be forgiven - :D

OK first of all im working as a fitter on a building site.im qualified as i i left school at 16 and trained for over a year on a low wage. I work away from home all round the country and leave behind all my mates and family for 2-3weeks at a time and then work 12 hours a day, with one weekend off every 2-3 weeks. Yes the money is good but the lifestyle itself is not so great.

Im not aspiring to be a low end mechanic by any means but to train to become a mechanic and maybe start my own company but thats a few year down the line not relevant at all.

Now can you understand why i dont want to do what im doing the rest of my life?

Edit: I love cars, always have done just never looked down the route of cars like supras before.

Edited by AdamR (see edit history)

Guest AdamR
Well, personally id hold onto it until you are 25+ and have responsibilities!!

You will have earnt £280,000 too by that point :D

But if you value time more than money then I can understand. :)

lol no thanks the last 6 months have been very boring, the next 6 months will be boring but in the next 2 weeks i am going to buy a supra before i start work again, work my ass off for another 6 month and then that will save me enough money to take time and learn to become a mechanic, because im sure most people would train me if it meant that i was working for them for free, and then i can learn somewhere i will actually learn, and not a back street garage changing wheels all day.

Yeah i read all of hodges build, is it ok to go to a supra meet, not in a supra?

Of course, the more the merrier.

Oh, and you can buy my NA if you like. It's a good candidate for a TT engine swap, though a 6speed box would also be nice ;)

Thanks for comments guys on the insurance issue thats not a problem ive been insured on insurance group 20RWD car since passing my test 1week after 17 lol! I think i will buy a car already modified something like this one

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=217493

and then in a couple of years when i know what im doing start to modify and make my own.

Now all you need to do is convince him to sell it to you!

Best of luck, you're gonna need it! :D

This thread is bonkers..

What group 20 RWD car did you have insurance, 1 week after passing your test? I remember paying £1100 on a MK2 golf driver 1.6 when I was 20 FFS!

What exactly do you fit on these building sites, how does it pay £40k per year following 1 year of training? Can you get me a job?

Guest AdamR
This thread is bonkers..

What group 20 RWD car did you have insurance, 1 week after passing your test? I remember paying £1100 on a MK2 golf driver 1.6 when I was 20 FFS!

What exactly do you fit on these building sites, how does it pay £40k per year following 1 year of training? Can you get me a job?

ok, an e46 m3, Parents policy.

Year and a half almost, on the job training started as an improver, do most things joinery/drylining related that the main contractors do not do.

Guest damo1

buy a supra for 8k or get it imported and then with the rest over cash check out hodge's build thread and then you will understand how much it requires to get that amount of modification to 800bhp.....

also how old are you if your going to be doing a apprentiship?

next question can you afford the insurance if your only young....

buy a supra for 8k or get it imported and then with the rest over cash check out hodge's build thread and then you will understand how much it requires to get that amount of modification to 800bhp.....

also how old are you if your going to be doing a apprentiship?

next question can you afford the insurance if your only young....

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Guest damo1

no disrespect to adamR but i think we better send some flowers to his parents for his funeral....

if your 17 and you want a supra with 800bhp at the wheels then i bet your going to show off to your mates plant the peddle and then whip the rear end round and god forbid crashing killing yourself and your mates that WILL be in the car with you...or some other person in there car..

ive seen this b4 trust me i worked for a company in leeds and there was a lad called brett saved up aload of cash bought himself a mr2 turbo tuned it up and 2 weeks later wrapped it round a telegraph pole killing himself , his girlfriend (my cousin) and seriously injuring a bystander so dont be stupid and just go for something sensible and maybe you might live to see you next birthday