The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Life after the Supra - MK1 Golf GTi project

j_jza80

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, i would like a mk1 to restore at somepoint. I had a mk2 project before the supra,great cars. Here are a couple of pics

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r8/L18msy/golf34.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r8/L18msy/golf17.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r8/L18msy/golf16.jpg

Man i never ever thought id like these, but they really are grabbing my attention for a cheap daily driver which ill need pretty soon...id have to have mine in yellow just becuase my mum and dad used to have a yellow one:D

Thats actually a nice motor! cant replace a supra though:D

i think some small deep dish rims with a camber and low profiles will set that right of!:)

It's a completely different car, so it's hard to draw comparisons. It gets alot of attention though, certainly more positive than the Supra.

Love the MK1 GTI, I remember them when they were new :D

A true legend and a chef friend of mine had a white GTI cab when I was 19, he lent it to me for a weekend while he was away on holiday, loved every second of it, could not afford one then

I have just bid on a white GTI MK1 cab based on this very post :)

:) I was looking at Cabbies too, I may buy one when I sell my Convertible Celica.

I can't stress how much fun it is, although I'm definately going to build a single Supra in the not too distant future.

Great buy, love the old school Mk1's, but as above you need strong arms for the lack of power steering.

Talking of VW's, I've been contemplating going old school and getting a Karmann Ghia as I've always loved the shape of them... but i do wonder what they are like to drive?

I've seen some lovely restored one's of late.....mmmm test drive first before diving in i think :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've not had chance to progress much recently due to Uni and going to the Lakes, but i'm back on it now :)

I recieved the Rockford Fosgate 8" sub I ordered, along with an Alpine amp

I went to U-Pull-It today to get some ideas for my door installs. The car came with vinyl/leather door cards but someone had removed the door pockets. I've been looking for replacements but they're mega expensive. I've just seen a set go for £70 on Ebay including postage! :wacko: It's likely they would need chapping about a bit for the speaker mounts, so I decided against the genuine thing.

Anyways, i've discovered that Vauxhall Fronteras have a door pocket design that lends itself well to the Mk1s door panels. I'll get some pictures up in the morning, but I think you'll agree that they're a good alternative. They only cost £1 too which is a bonus :)

I'll be going shopping for my fibreglass and MDF tommorow, then the fun really begins :D

• 1 month later...
I love them but you need strong arms as power steering is not invented back then?

I had a MKI long time ago, very little electronic very little can go wrong.

With aftermarket alloys with larger tyres, the steering is a little heavy for parking, but at speed it's full of feedback, which is woth the payoff.

Anyways, a quick update on this project, which relates to this post.

The horn button didn't work when I bought the car, as an earth cable had been left off the bottom of the steering rack. I've replaced this but still no horn??? tested the horn and the button, and it works perfectly, just not on the wheel.

I've had a multimeter on the earthing point on the rack and the body, and i'm getting full voltage. I've spent a couple of weeks on this and can't for the life of me find the problem, so i'm getting an auto electrician to sort it for me.

However, after this is done, I plan to install the sound system and tidy up what little rust there is, but then I think i'll leave it at that, possibly adding little bits and pieces just to get it more stock looking.

I'm starting to seriously miss having a powerful RWD car, and so i'll be buying a new project in the near future, and keeping this for my daily drive. I've already had loads of offers to sell this for more than I paid for the car and all the bits, but I just don't think I can part with it.

• 8 months later...

9 months on and she's back :)

She's been sitting in my garage waiting for me to get the horn working. Still can't find the issue, so I'm going to start from scratch :)

Pulled her out of hibernation today, and shes looking a little worse for wear, nothing major though. I've decided to fit the above stereo in the Supra, the Golf is going to get a new lease of life as a track car. Will be looking to source a cage and some bucket seats/harnesses before long :cool:

Unfortunately, this means that when i do the engine transplant on the Supra, Im going to have to buy something else as a run around. No doubt something else highly impractical :D

If I bought a MK1 i'd like to try source the interior for the modern MK1's that they sold in South Africa until recently. Wouldn't know where to start with one though.

There are a hell of a lot of fast track MK1's. Read about them in the magazines I get. Some of them are just scary fast (and very little to prevent you going splat if you hit a wall!)

If I bought a MK1 i'd like to try source the interior for the modern MK1's that they sold in South Africa until recently. Wouldn't know where to start with one though.

There are a hell of a lot of fast track MK1's. Read about them in the magazines I get. Some of them are just scary fast (and very little to prevent you going splat if you hit a wall!)

All the south Africa Golfs (Citi Golf over there) are 5 doors :( the interiors are weird though, look just like a modern Polo. They aren't great in accidents, though I imagine they're better than their French counterparts (205s/AXs are horrific in crashes) that's what the cage is for :)

As for the pace, mine is circa 160hp, Weighs less than a ton, has a short ratio box and has a fair amount of chassis work. I had some fun with a Z4 M roadster in the lakes last year, and on the twisties I was well away from him :)

• 1 year later...

Where does the time go? :)

After she had been sitting on the driveway for months on end, I've finally got her back together. I got the engine running, but it's very rough. Decided to investigate the fuel tank, and have noticed a fair bit of rust on the old girl. Nothing terminal, but if I don't do something soon it's going to mean welding.

So, I've decided the sensible option is to erect a fence around my garden so that I have an enclosed area to work on her. :D

Then, I'll buy a Rotisserie / spit and start stripping the underside. I'm going to have a fun winter! Cue lots of cold, dark nights, cuts, oily fingernails and plenty of swearing! :D