The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Super Drager or RS*R on a single?

Jamesy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah im speaking to Lee about the exhausts.

The turbo kit ive bought comes with a super drager - and ive currently got te rsr. Was really just asking if anyone had an opinion on loudest and best performing.

I feel 'wrong' now for wanting it loud .... So wrong it feels right!! Do most people prefer the quiet/stock sound levels? Never been my thing tbh.

RSR is a 3inch system and very unrestricted, it's a fair bit louder than a dragger and certainly less restrictive.

However, as Jamie mentions a 3inch cat back on a single is going to be restrictive.

When my old car went from a 4inch BL to a 3inch TRD it lost nearly 50bhp at the peak. No changes were made other than the exhaust.

If you want loud, a 4in boostlogic is about as loud as they get. Other than that, there's the various Ti ones, though they are a little more raspy. Personally I prefer the deep note of the BL, but it's not for everyone due to the level of noise (as most BL owners will admit :D )

Yeah that makes sence, for big power like what you and lee run then the bigger the better but for someone with a goal of say 600 in mind IMO 3" is enough.

Could always run an boost actuated exhaust valve like the SP valve should you want more, kind of like dans setup, should help the flow restriction :)

I totaly agree that theres a world of difference between 4" and 3" in regards to flow but im still convinced a small turbo housing becomes more of a restriction way before the exhaust does.

At "normal" boost levels and a small turbo & exhaust housing, yes, it's not going to make any real difference, but I always recommend to plan for the future :D

Cheers Homer ;) BL is def what i want - its just finding a full cat back system which is the hard bit. (as my DP is 3" it'll need an adaptor too)

The 3in DP shouldn't be any real restriction until you get to high power levels (600+). The link Mig posted is all you need for the adaptor. It fits between the 2nd decat and the cat back, not the DP.

Just wondered which will be the loudest and best performing?

The HKS is a 3" bore whereas the RS*R is 2.5"

I want it as loud as possible - had the HKS Super Drager on my old bpu and it was as quiet as stock - but have heard on a single its loud as hell.

The RS*R is loud now, so will that get even louder on a single?

If anyones driven a single with either (or both ) of these please let me know so i know which one to put on :D

Muchos :)

If you want loud then buy my Blitz Nurspec exhaust for sale on here.Taking it off my car tomorrow as the neighbours are complaining of the noise.lol

At "normal" boost levels and a small turbo & exhaust housing, yes, it's not going to make any real difference, but I always recommend to plan for the future :D

The 3in DP shouldn't be any real restriction until you get to high power levels (600+). The link Mig posted is all you need for the adaptor. It fits between the 2nd decat and the cat back, not the DP.

:D i'm already planning for the future :D

so that adaptor joins a 3" MP to the BL 4" backbox? Thanx

There are 2 versions of the Super Drager as far as Im aware. The MKI which is a mild steel 3" exhaust with a stainless steel backbox, the MKII is a full stainless steel 3" exhaust, or so I've been led to believe.

Stainless exhausts are louder than mild steel, and titanium ones are louder still.

Erm .....

First off mate i've never claimed to be a mechanic of engine wizard. I am happy with the people i have around me working on my car and have full trust in them. I'd rather a specialst worked on it than bodging it myself.

I know bud, thats why I'm saying be ready for things to go wrong. If you don't know why a 2.5" exhaust is a restriction by now you are going to struggle with absolutely everything.

How do people learn about these sort of conversions without asking a few questions?

By paying attention to technical threads that have been ongoing over the past 3 years. I knew absolutely heehaw about supra's and generally about everything non-electrical till I joined this forum and started getting my hands dirty. I know why a 2.5" exhaust system is a restriction by paying attention in useful threads as well as spending time in the off topics & general chats. I'm not saying learn by doing, I'm saying learn by reading.

All i was asking was if people had any experience of these 2 exhausts on a single - i mentioned 2.5" on the rsr as thats what i was told by SPC but if its bigger then great.

Im not going into this with my eyes closed ive spent ages and ages researching it.

Well the simple answer is anyone who has done a proper single setup will have put a decent exhaust on if they want the most from their system. I can't see how you think this isn't common knowledge for anyone taking steps towards a good system. There will be countless "build" threads and I don't think you will find a single one with anything less than a 3" exhaust.

Where are you researching? I would suggest starting with single builds, see what bits people have gone for and the results with them. From the build threads you can often read problems and solutions that have been found along the way.

I'm not trying to piss on your chips mate, I'm trying to open your eyes to the naiveity to the entire build that you are showing. Your build is in very capable hands, my point is that in a few months time... regardless of who built it... if it all goes pete tong you will be cursing your luck etc when in actual fact it is common for things to go wrong.

Have a look at Lee's thread as a prime example. I think everyone would agree that he chose the wrong path, even Lee, and regrets going down the road he has. He was in too deep when things started going majorly wrong and is only starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers Homer ;) BL is def what i want - its just finding a full cat back system which is the hard bit. (as my DP is 3" it'll need an adaptor too)

However thanx for clarifying the RSR size - very helpful :)

i know you say you want "noisy" but do you realise just how noisy a 4" system is, i had the BL 4" on mine and it lasted about 2hours it was absolutely horrendous, dont forget you will also atract unwanted attension from plod and if you use the car early morning you will p**s alot of people off, you may say "oh sod em" but when the noise abatement order from the local council arrives through the letter box you WILL have to act on it

i know you say you want "noisy" but do you realise just how noisy a 4" system is, i had the BL 4" on mine and it lasted about 2hours it was absolutely horrendous, dont forget you will also atract unwanted attension from plod and if you use the car early morning you will p**s alot of people off, you may say "oh sod em" but when the noise abatement order from the local council arrives through the letter box you WILL have to act on it

hi mate totally understand - however my scooby before this had a Votex exhaust on and was loads louder than my current RSR on the supra.

theres only 8 houses in my close and luckily my neighbours are good as gold....but yes if it ever annoyed any of them i'd get it swapped straight away.

***still got the BL system u took off yours per chance??? :eyebrows: ***

I totaly agree that theres a world of difference between 4" and 3" in regards to flow but im still convinced a small turbo housing becomes more of a restriction way before the exhaust does.

Oh dont get me wrong big man i do like loud ;)

But its like you just said, for trackdays etc your $#@!ed.

To be fair mate id say the exhaust housing becomes more of a restriction before a 3" setup but thats just my view :)

I'll be heading back to the rolling road very soon with the fully functioning cutout (all fitted now) so I will post up what changes there are with 3" vs 4" from a back to back test. If Homer's experience is anything to go by I could be well into the 600's which will be a nice suprise :)

Tubo housing will be a 0.81 as before.

I have a 4" fullrace dp/mp if you're interested ;) Then you won't need the adapter and the the dp has a 3" flange to connect nicely to your GT35R!

you know i'd love that stuff u have but i thought Wayne couldnt get it to fit with the GT35R and manifold parts u had dude?

you know i'd love that stuff u have but i thought Wayne couldnt get it to fit with the GT35R and manifold parts u had dude?

It didn't fit with the HKS manifold and my GT35R because of the angle. Most manifolds are different, so it'd be a try and see effort. Not sure about your one, so it'd be hard to tell without actually trying to fit it.

It didn't fit with the HKS manifold and my GT35R because of the angle. Most manifolds are different, so it'd be a try and see effort. Not sure about your one, so it'd be hard to tell without actually trying to fit it.

lol - then i'd DEF have to get a 4" exhaust - Lee mentioned you can go up in size exhaust from the MP, but not down! another excuse to get the BL cat back!!

BTW this is my stanless steel OBX manifold mate :

http://www.obxracingsports.com/product_images/product_photo-large_image-45.jpg

lol - then i'd DEF have to get a 4" exhaust - Lee mentioned you can go up in size exhaust from the MP, but not down! another excuse to get the BL cat back!!

BTW this is my stanless steel OBX manifold mate :

http://www.obxracingsports.com/product_images/product_photo-large_image-45.jpg

Sounds good to me ... Go big or go home :D

Difficult to tell if it will fit from the pic as the DP connects to the back of the turbo so it depends on the angle of the turbo when connected to the manifold.

Nice looking manifold. Are you bracing it?