The mkiv Supra Owners Club

boost 1.6

nigelboyne

That's a fair amount. All I'd recommend is to use pump fuel and start troubleshooting from there. You absolutely must have an AFR (or at minimum an EGT) gauge in place before raising boost. Without either you have no idea if you have potential det issues.

You'll need an AFR gauge, it's an essential item when running over stock boost level.

think im going to get one after reading that,

im just nto comfortable my increased boost, and fueling controlled with a Apexi SAFC

• 8 months later...
Guest alan3579
stop the high boost pulls then. or they (turbos) wont last much longer.

there safe up to 1.4 bar 1.5 bar i can live with but 1.6 is prob to high.

I would never push them to 1.4 bar with no fuel management or AFR gauge IMO

you think they are safe at 1.5 bar? i wouldnd put stock twins over 1.2 bar if i had any intentions of them staying on my car.

UK twins....

can we have some form of closure on this: can the uk spec turbos deal with 1.4 bar???

can we have some form of closure on this: can the uk spec turbos deal with 1.4 bar???

The turbos themselves *may* run 1.4bar fine - the weak point on the UK turbos tends to be the oil seals.

If you do run 1.4bar, you need to know what the air/fuel ratios are, you don't want it running lean at high boost pressures - for this you will need an AFR gauge.

You also need to know what the exhaust gas temperatures are - for this you will need an EGT gauge.

Without being able to monitor the AFR's and EGT's you could be risking your engine.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Even so you may still get detonation during long pulls just because of the amount of heat being put into the air charge under those boost levels. A dyno run or three while listening for detonation would be a good idea :)

Apexi AFC, by the way, isn't going to help with an otherwise stock setup. Once you're defeating fuel cut, i.e. running 1bar+ of boost, your injectors will be at 100% duty cycle. Doesn't matter how much more airflow signal you try and pump in with the AFC under those circumstances - especially as it's then clamped to about 4.4volts by the fuel cut defender.

I would pull back to 1.2bar until you can sort out AFR gauge and EGT gauge. I would be surprised if you have not already had some degree of detonation by spiking at 1.7 bar. Once you have caused det, the little dings in the piston form nasty little sharp edges on the piston surface that heat up quickly and create hot spots and can induce det at lower temperatures thus increasing the chance of further detonation.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)