The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Safe margins for EGT and AFR

Scott

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just googled "EGT's on cruise" and it took me to this thread, my egts seem pretty high to me, on cruise at say 90mph they read a constant 800c, peak at about 860c at 100mph off boost, soon as i touch the throttle they do go down a bit.

At them temps should the manifold not be glowing? maybe dodgy sensor? its always been like this from when i first went single.

A full wot through the gears run i see about the same egts, 850-870c at 2bar.

what are others seeing at 90mph on cruise?

light load ign timing problem

afr required depends greatly on fuel type , IAT and a host of other things that dont concern this thread(all the same engine)

Why don't they concern this thread? My original question... that I started this thread with... was asking about safe AFR's. It's in the heading :blink:

for there to have been a significant increase in egt there must have been a combustion problem?? other than that the plug itself wouldnt influence egt?. so where the plugs of vastly different heatrange?

As the problem is now fixed i have no need to discuss it anymore.

Why don't they concern this thread? My original question... that I started this thread with... was asking about safe AFR's. It's in the heading :blink:

the other variables arent in the equation since you guys are quoting af figures from identical engines...(less small changes, but the general layout is the same)

so dependant on where you are with ambient temps and fuel type changes your required AFR.

it is generally considered that a figure 12or lower is a "safe" AF.. but this could change with poor fuel, high inlet temp, etc.

for eg.. the ford yb engine will not tolerate an AF of 12 at high boost.. it will tend to knock.. but an evo engine will.. these are the engine design variables that i was on about..

im babbling now.

• 1 year later...

@EGTs AFAIK 950°C is the maximum you'll want to see over a longer period and up to 1000°C short term.

That's if the probe is in one of the runners of course. ;)

The Problem with EGT Probes after the turbo is that no one really knows a number how much you have to add because with different Sizes of turbos and housings the heat transported changes. So one turbo could lower the temps 100°C while another will 150°C and a third maybe just 50°C :)

Other thing ist that the Temperature rise and fall is much slower than when in the runner. So while your Probe still shows a "safe" value after the Turbo the real EGT before can be over the max already. ;)

There is an assortment of strategies. One is "Am I over 4000rpm?", another is "how much boost am I running?", and a third is "How fast has the throttle just changed position?". All of those can knock it out of closed loop. The exact values, though, remain a mystery :)

The thing is

i have hybrids and i have a fic and see boost say 0.5 bar and run into afrs of 13s on part throttle at say 2500 rpm if i stay at that boost or a little more slowly accelateing the stock ecu still wants to go back to 14.7 but by then i have seen boost of 0.6. at 3000 then when in open loop go rich 10.0 i think off the scale

i was thinking this was lean for that sort of boost even for part throttle?

or does the stock ecu take into account intake temps and tps and other things

i was worried that the fuel cut % was making it see the way less boost then what it was getting

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)