The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What In Car Fire Extinguisher?

JamieP

If you get an underbonnet fire unless your really lucky and notice it very quickly your wasting your time with most hand held car extinguishers, ive witnessed 1st hand 2 car fires and how quickly an under bonnet fire takes hold is scary and a large factory sized co2 didnt touch stopping either.

thats the thing, u have a under bonnet fire whats the first thing u do? open the bonnet... which then adds more oxygen and up goes the intensity of the fire!!

Thats true, cos oxygen wouldnt be coming up from below, or in through the sides.

not even close to as much as if u opened the bonnet, the air wud literally be sucked into the fire as you have increased the open air capassity but a huge percentage

Happened to me on a 325i bmw, heard a pop as i pulled in the old mans driveway, as i opened the bonnet the flames shot 6ft high, i ran round the back of my dads house to get the hose but it just would not reach, the fucker burnt to a crisp and i had to retarmac dads drive:D

Happened to me on a 325i bmw, heard a pop as i pulled in the old mans driveway, as i opened the bonnet the flames shot 6ft high, i ran round the back of my dads house to get the hose but it just would not reach, the $#@!er burnt to a crisp and i had to retarmac dads drive:D

That reminds me of this

:D

i'm afraid he's right rob, i saw this first hand today :(

I dont think he is.

Its not going to be O2 rushing in as much as the flame being able to build. The engine bay isnt a closed space on any vehicle, its not like the fire needs to pull oxygen in thru the bonnet.

I suspect this could be another plane on a treadmill though.

Guest argy911
Happened to me on a 325i bmw, heard a pop as i pulled in the old mans driveway, as i opened the bonnet the flames shot 6ft high, i ran round the back of my dads house to get the hose but it just would not reach, the $#@!er burnt to a crisp and i had to retarmac dads drive:D

That happened to me in my r5 gt turbo the haed gasket had gone and the oil turned to sludge overflowed from the filler cap on to the manifold, catching fire . lucky I had a bottle of water that I was using to fill up the rad. I managed to put out the fire.

Put an ad on racecars direct for an out of date mechanical plumbed in unit, they can still be used hand held. The regs change all the time and ones with an excellent, but illegal to MSA rules fill, can be had for cheap. In fact most people think the old, none environment friendly systems were far better than the new stuff. But what's a few burnt to a crisp race drivers compared to Aunt Tilly's aspidistra's longevity?