The mkiv Supra Owners Club

S/Plugs

Supra Pilot

Hi gents, just an update on this little gem here...

I have just completed the plug change task.....:eek:

Well most here were running scared of doing it because of what's involved as you saw from the Toyota maintenance manual and the corresponding real live engine photos........

I was actually told to make sure I put aside a 'WHOLE DAY' when going to tackle this job......

Anyway it is an absoult piss really, done it on just basic common sense...

I have also attached photos etc for better understanding as the Toyota Manual is very misleading and seems to tell you to do lots more than is actually required for the task.

Took me less than an hour to complete, having never done it before. Half hour next time MAX!

Good Luck.......

plug cx 1.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done mate! Bloody quick as well.

I did not want to do it as the NA is used regularly and did not want to break anything that would take a while to get hold of.

I didn't mean a whole day on just the plugs :p I thought you were doing the rest of the service as well? What oil did you go with in the end?

Hi Syed,

Thanks again for the info you passed on m8......

I used the 10W-40 Castrol Magnatex......

I have done a full service on here now, all filters, plugs + oil, plus a little tune up...:devil:

It can all be done in under 2 hours easy.....(everything)

I only need to get some new plug leads now.....so I will be ordering a set sometime soon...

Of course this involves removing the throttle body assy again to change the leads!

I have more photos if and when someone else tackles this.......

Have a look at the photo below and see if you can spot the difference:eek:

air filters.jpg

Dom...

Yours are BKR5's ? ?

The TT has 6's as standard and I've just gone to 7's

(standard 6's platinum, the 7's normal)

I guess mine's running (or CAN run) hotter, but then, you're

always revving yours far more ! ! I would have said it would get

just as hot......probably ? ?

STILL, if that's what it says......

FatS.

Yes Steve I am using '5's' on the plugs for now.....

Matt you're not wrong there m8...(check your Pm's)

2 of the plugs (#2+3) had a couple hair line cracks on the ceramic insulation....

But the plugs themselves/on the whole were still in very good order...

Dom

• 7 years later...
Guest jules by beads

I am considering changing my NA plugs, when separating the manifold, is there a gasket that needs to be changed? If so, is there a part number for it?

Cheers

• 8 months later...

I've been looking at this thread for a bit now, working up the courage to change my plugs and wouldn't have done it without your excellent pictures Suprapilot. It did take me just over 2 hours but reckon I could get it down by half at least next time. Not hard, but very fiddly especially getting some of the hoses off and back on and there were 4 more 12 mm bolts under where the air filter hosing fits on. The car has been running very good but the plugs that came out looked like they had been in for ages even though they were supposed to have been changed 10k miles ago. It started fine, so going to take it for a run now. Come on people If I can do it anyone can.....

• 4 months later...

I did this job today so I thought i'd add my bit to this thread :)

As discussed in some other threads ( like http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?247437-NA-Spark-Plugs) there is no need to remove any of the hoses.

All that needs to be undone is 4 12mm bolts and 4 12mm nuts. Once removed the throttle body can be pulled forward (just) enough to get at plugs 3 and 4.

See pic below:

After doing this once next time it'll only take about 5mins to get at plugs 3 & 4. Although i did find it a bit fiddly to get the socket out each time as the angle was not great. A long nose pair of pliers came in very handy!

Guest stevie.84

to be honest mate im not a mechanic and it is a lot easier than you think, i thought at first that it would be quite difficult but i thought i'd give it a go - my first attempt and it took 1hr 15mins as i just removed a few bolts on the throttle body and a few bolts on the intake manifold next to the "Y" section and i just propped the throttle body up with a choc of wood to gain access to plugs 3&4 rather than disconnect all the cable work and connectors, let us know if you want a few pics and i'll take some tomorrow and illustrate bud.

Guest stevie.84
I did this job today so I thought i'd add my bit to this thread :)

As discussed in some other threads ( like http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?247437-NA-Spark-Plugs) there is no need to remove any of the hoses.

All that needs to be undone is 4 12mm bolts and 4 12mm nuts. Once removed the throttle body can be pulled forward (just) enough to get at plugs 3 and 4.

See pic below:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/culllcfc/plugs/sparkdone.jpg

After doing this once next time it'll only take about 5mins to get at plugs 3 & 4. Although i did find it a bit fiddly to get the socket out each time as the angle was not great. A long nose pair of pliers came in very handy!

Well explained, pretty much the same way i did it.

• 1 year later...
Just a quick bump for a very useful thread and for anyone thinking about this daunting task. It's actually not that bad. Did it all in just under an hour.

I bricked it the first time I needed mine done and Dr Doom did them. After watching him do them I then had a go myself and it isn't that hard. it just looks bad with the air intake and throttle body off.

H.

• 3 years later...

I'm part way through this at the moment. I think all I have left is the two nuts on the air intake mounting bracket. These look as though they need to be undone before the Y pipe can move across towards the drivers side. I attach a pic. Can someone confirm please?2016-06-12 12.43.45.jpg

At least it's a once in 60k mile thing! The pipe work is a pain, couple of vacuum ones underneath the right hand side are easy to forget when putting it back. The back bottom nut on the y pipe is a pain to put back too, I used x2 extensions and went in horizontally from the exhaust manifold side. Give those plug wells a good clean out too, are you doing the cam cover seals?

• 2 years later...
Once everything there is disconnected, just raise/move the throttle body to the side and you have loads of room to remove the PLug wires and then the plugs........

When done, the reverse is the order of the day!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1896&d=1046896465

Thread revival! Is taking off what he has here, enough to gain access to remove the cam covers and change the rocker gasket??