The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who tells the truth about their BHP?

jazz1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a bit of road going fun with a guy in his 340FQ (when I had the 545bhp single), needless to say went past him a couple of times like he was stood still. Once we got chance to have a chat he asked how much HP, told him it was standard, his face was a picture :D Did tell him the truth in the end though, turned out he'd only purchased the car a few months before and 'used' to think it was fast :innocent:

I once had a bit of road going fun with a guy in his 340FQ (when I had the 545bhp single), needless to say went past him a couple of times like he was stood still. Once we got chance to have a chat he asked how much HP, told him it was standard, his face was a picture :D Did tell him the truth in the end though, turned out he'd only purchased the car a few months before and 'used' to think it was fast :innocent:

I was in a similar situation not long after getting my Supra. I was running 1bar at the time thanks to the Mines ECU (1.1 in higher gears) but still had the 1st cat in, so not full BPU. A garage owners son near to where I live had an Evo VII that everyone thought was fast. Ended up behind him on the sliproad onto the motorway and we both gunned it once on it. He was in front and got the foot down faster due to traffic, once I planted it and the 2nd tubby came in I reeled him in and spat him out like he was standing still. His power claims were approx 400hp. Mine were similar all be it a little lower. Allegedly the car wasn't running right that day.

Mods were manifold back drainpipe exhaust, tubular manifold, induction kit etc etc. The usual stuff, not sure on the boost either.

Evos on the motorway are cannon fodder in just about any guise. Wouldn't fancy my chances in the twisties though lol.

I try not to talk about BHP - better to talk about how much boost on what size turbo, as dyno figures can tell you whatever you want. Plus, whenever someone asks, of course you tell them the best possible figures the car made - not necessarily what you drive it on :p

If anyone asked how much power mine had I used to reply dunno but quicker than a McLaren F1 over a 1/4 mile (F1 does it in 11.6) when I wanted to have a bit of fun :D

People that were into modding / drag racing etc. would ask what it did it in, followed by the question "what turbo are you running".... the looks and arguments I would get when I said standard jap spec ceramics were sometimes irritating, especially with the Impreza brigade I could usually outlaunch then make them look silly even at Crail.

I'll always miss my last Supra because of this - it was so well setup for launching and doing fast 1/4 and even 1/2 mile times. My next Supra will be setup for fast road / circuit with twisties in mind and trackdays so will never really be as quick off the mark.

If people pushed for a power figure I would just say 380bhp.

Cheers,

Brian.

What does that mean? Is this the thread you meant to post in?

:rlol:

Depends really, my cars are mainly for road use so I don't see that point of having over a million bhp. I can understand the guys who track their cars though.

I'm happy with ample bhp and decent low down torque. Saying that, I'm very happy with my NAs stock 500rwhp and 650 torque to go with it ;)