The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet Vent/Scoop

Guest Pugie

lol

Just to upset the apple-cart, I have a UK Man 6, and i can wait till i remove the unsightly bump and the horns.

However, i'm trying to find some way of turning the horns into an IC spray like what the Scoobies have.....

O, one more thing, the MAF thing me bob is a right pain in the arse if i say so myself.....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Closet UKSpeccers, are we CJ? :D

But I also agree with the Air Mass thing, it's an unacceptable restriction, horrible. It's gotta go.

Maybe they fitted it to slow down the US/UK spec, so they could sell more of the 'other' ones, who knows.... :littled: ;)

I have done 2 in my time with 2 supras.

As Paul Mac says there is little change from approx 170 / 200 pounds for

a toyota scoop and then you have to cut a big hole paint and fit it with mesh.

If you have a strut brace fitted you need to cut some of the under bonnet

fitting away as well.

Have just bought a trd carbon bonnet and will be selling my j spec bonnet with scoop fitted in approx 6 weeks colour silver, it is a proper scoop, cut out for strut brace fitment, the ebay copies as i understand are crap apparently.

If underbonnet temps are an issue, I'd first look at a heatshield for the turbine, and optimising the cooling system perhaps.

The scoop wouldn't be top of my list - a nice to have, but not as important as other measures.

Bonnet vents placed strategically behind the radiator can increase it's efficiency.

All the bits from Toyota (excluding the extra guide that goes down to the turbos, totally separate from the scoop bits) come to about £135 from memory. That includes the mesh, nuts and bolts and the metal & plastic guide bits that are actually fitted to the bonnet.

Did mine last year.

Did you fit that bit that sits down the side of the engine too?

I have the TRD bonnet with the 4 cut outs which must help but am awaiting the new offering from MVP which is a box that encloses the K&N filter on my single kit. BTW, I also have a turbo blanket fitted.

I am not too sure what else can be done :conf:

If underbonnet temps are an issue, I'd first look at a heatshield for the turbine, and optimising the cooling system perhaps.

The scoop wouldn't be top of my list - a nice to have, but not as important as other measures.

Bonnet vents placed strategically behind the radiator can increase it's efficiency.

cheers for that john

i have recently gone single and am now a little concerned about under bonnet temps, i have been umming and are'ing (technical term) about getting a scoop for a while now is it a worthwhile mod with regards to heat ?

The trick with cooling things down is not getting the air in, it's getting the air out. So you can have all the scoops and ducting you like, but if there is nowhere for the hot air to escape to, you are wasting your time.

I have the TRD bonnet with the 4 cut outs which must help but am awaiting the new offering from MVP which is a box that encloses the K&N filter on my single kit. BTW, I also have a turbo blanket fitted.

I am not too sure what else can be done :conf:

Sounds like you've got it sorted :)

The trick with cooling things down is not getting the air in, it's getting the air out. So you can have all the scoops and ducting you like, but if there is nowhere for the hot air to escape to, you are wasting your time.

Actually letting cool air in AND hot air out would be the best idea. IIRC inverted scoops create a suction that force out air from under the bonnet.

very true, that's why vents placed behind the rad increase its efficiency --- the low pressure area created behind the rad increases the airflow through the core, even though the 'entry' surface remains the same. It's like increasing voltage and then experiencing higher amp readings.

Ducting also helps a lot, the air has no choice but to go through the core.

That's why stock supra i/c is so good, despite the modest size of the air intake surface (it has both good ducting and benefits from high-pressure air in the front and low-pressure at the back of the core). Shame that it's mass is also modest, with the plastic caps.

Isn't that the idea of the vents on the top secret bonnet? i noticed the other day the JGTC supras have a very similar vent setup too.

Apologies for the delay in getting back with prices for this, I've been a little busy with work and stripping Supras :D

I've got prices now for all the original Toyota parts that go to make up the bonnet scoop and rain guard (see attached diagram.) This is everything needed to fit the bonnet scoop.

If there are enough people wanting the bonnet scoop I will start a group buy thread. I would need a minimum of 10 members to get the discounted price I have negotiated. Before I start, I would like to know how much these parts would cost to buy from Toyota UK, I don't want a similar situation as happened with Glass Headlights group buy where I got so far down the road and then found that the parts were available at a similar price there.

So could someone do a favour for me and visit their local Toyota dealer and get the price for the following parts please. A known good dealer who gives discount would be the best.

Also does anyone have a set of these parts spare that they could weigh for me please? To work out delivered cost I have estimated that the parts will weigh a max of 3kg, but this is pure guess work at the moment

76181-14900

76182-14010

76184-14010

76187-14010

76192-14010

76192-14010

93567-14512

90179-06058

90179-06299

90999-91057

:thanks:

scoop pic.jpg

76181-14900 ---- 55.78

76182-14010 ---- 14.16

76184-14010 ---- 1.01

76187-14010 ---- 4.90

76192-14010 ---- 5.08

76192-14010 ---- 5.08

93567-14512 --- .34

90179-06058 --- .46

90179-06299 --- .42

90999-91057 --- 8.18

total: 95.41

less 20% : 76.33

vat to be added

• 1 year later...
Guest flyingbrick
we are actually.

CJ is right on this one, this 'UK spec' plug does look out of place, I just couldn't resist when I saw that even the scoop is an upgrade item :woot:

I'm new here you see, and I still find the UKvsJap debate hopelessly funny. Obviously older (Jspec) members are not as keen, most probably neither would I be in their position, but my posts will follow my own rythm, not what others would like to dictate.

If I'm in the mood for smalltalk, there is an 'ignore' facility insn't there, please don't hesitate to use it. I know I do. :thanku:

What. A. Wanker.

I bet he doesn't feel half as much of a wanker as someone who has just resurrected a thread from 2 years ago! :D

yeah it came up on outlook and i had to scroll back through the thread to rememer what it was all about !, yes Mr flyingprick you are indeed A. w****r