The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Borg Warner S300sx 91/79 Results

Ryan.G

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Full-Race Geoff

it uses a 3.5" marmon flange, however Full-Race machines this and welds on a 3" vband in the Garrett position so it fits most all aftermarket vband downpipes much more easily.

if you are only going to use BW turbos and custom making your downpipe, there is nothing wring with using the 3.5" marmon

• 1 month later...
Guest Full-Race Geoff

great news gents, thanks for keeping us posted! We are currently working hard to get the 1.10 a/r housings available for the 91-79, as i believe these to be the optimal match for that turbine and compressor combination

Guest Full-Race Geoff

the current BW airwerks housings are not ni-resist, we have used these for many hours on race tracks and have literally not had one single failure... not one.

Just to be clear, race tracks like Laguna Seca, or drag strips? The thermal loading is quite different :) I have to say I am very wary of none ni-resist housings given the number of cracked, eroded, warped and generally *uggered housings I get to see. Because of that I tend to ask lots of awkward questions about turbos used on track, please forgive me, I am not trying to be (too...) difficult :)

Guest Full-Race Geoff
Just to be clear, race tracks like Laguna Seca, or drag strips? The thermal loading is quite different :) I have to say I am very wary of none ni-resist housings given the number of cracked, eroded, warped and generally *uggered housings I get to see. Because of that I tend to ask lots of awkward questions about turbos used on track, please forgive me, I am not trying to be (too...) difficult :)

i totally understand your questions, and would much rather you ask than not. Chances are there are many other forum members who have the same questions but do not post up. Funny you mentioned laguna seca, becuase one twinscroll BW equipped car has been out there more than a few times, on the borgwarner 83-75 1.00 a/r (as well as here in AZ at firebird and PIR):

http://modified.automotive.com/113238/modp-0908-yimisport-tuning-2008-subaru-sti/index.html

the only abnormality of this car is that it uses a heavily shimmed cosworth oil pump which makes loads of oil pressure, so there was a small restrictor 0.050" inserted into the oil feed fitting to stop excess oil pressure from reaching the turbo. since that was solved there has been zero problems.

i absolutely relate to your problems with other subpar housings, and in my experience the bw product line is second to none. We have literally not had a single bw failure to date, and thats not saying it wont happen, but it hasnt happened yet and that is very confidence inspiring. also there are some exciting new product on the horizon that will address your concerns and one-up them.. sorry i can not be more specific or release any more details at this time... i can tell you that any true turbo buff will be making this face :blink:

how would you compare this turbo to the hks to4z kit

the hks t04z is a very old turbocharger design. It works fairly well for what it is, but its far from "optimal". The t04z is also called the T67 (from garrett) or PT67 (from precision) and uses an 11 blade p trim turbine wheel with a 6 blade 66.7mm 63 trim compressor. These are fairly old technology with antiquated blade aero... Almost all modern turbo designs use a 10 blade turbine wheel and a 7 blade lower trim compressor. The best thing this T04Z kit has going for it is that the manifold is twinscroll (divided) which is why despite the inefficient wheel designs the turbo still works quite well with good spool and transient response

i hope this helps answer your guys questions a little bit

cheers,

geoff