• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

value my car to much :D

....think of it as a drag strip with corners :D

Most of you don't mind driving alongside a concrete wall for 1/4 of a mile :blink:

The circuits are supposed to be challenging, and there's no one else on the course at the same time as you - its you v's the clock.

This is a great way of learning how to control your car in a safe environment.

Sometimes it sucks being Irish.

Only sometimes :p

I was having a chat with Adrian Smith at the last round of Time Attack last month, sounds like a brilliant idea this, read the below document and let me know what you think. Would make for a great club meeting me thinks.

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/tss.pdf

Sounds good I would be up for this. Tell us more :D

So, Paul, if there's enough interest in this, whats the next step? Does someone from the club have to approach Adrian or someone at TSS to organise the club's intention to take part?

Dunk, if I remember correctly there are a number of practice sessions where you can drive the course, then you get about 6-8 attempts at setting your fastest time. Much the same way as a sprint/hill climb.

So, Paul, if there's enough interest in this, whats the next step? Does someone from the club have to approach Adrian or someone at TSS to organise the club's intention to take part?

Dunk, if I remember correctly there are a number of practice sessions where you can drive the course, then you get about 6-8 attempts at setting your fastest time. Much the same way as a sprint/hill climb.

Thanks Steve, you dont get much track time then, personally i'd rather do a trackday.

Thanks Steve, you dont get much track time then, personally i'd rather do a trackday.

... thats only from what I remember doing a couple of years ago, best check with the TSS forum as to exactly what happens....

Remember this is less risky than a track day! It's also a competition, so you're challenging yourself - after a while track days get a bit boring if theres nothing to aim for... and they are more stressful on the car and you than one of these events.

Track days demand properly setup cooling, brakes and tyres to get the best out of the day... TSS is more about short sprints, so you never get the same levels of heat stress on the vehicle or yourself and you'll never go through tyres like a track day does!

To get a road car ready to do a track day will cost much much more than it will to do a TSS event.

In my opinion, if you're after something different this is much better and cheaper than a track day.

this still looks good to me , its great if you have a road car to use because the short sprints wont be too hard on the car , short run then allow everything to cool before you go again, i would deffo like more details on it.

EDIT; beaten to it on the car stress and cooling point :)

also how many people will have to participate in order for there to be a supra class?

Edited by dr_jekyll (see edit history)

why dose it feel like im the only person whos exited about this. just like at home, Knowbody els gives a sh1t so it never ends up hapening and i miss out. :(

Nothing stopping you doing the sprint it just means that the club wont be running trophies or anything. Alex did it this year.

Im looking forward to doing a couple of rounds :)

They do one in the dark :ecstatic:

There's even a video, look!

R6. Teesside (Dark), great fun, used the whole circuit and it was pretty much pitch black - just make sure your headlights aren't yellowed. :D video

why dose it feel like im the only person whos exited about this. just like at home, Knowbody els gives a sh1t so it never ends up hapening and i miss out. :(

It's happening regardless. You don't need a Supra class to join in, I was the only Supra owner running this year and I don't mind if I am next year - it's just nice if there are a few more. :)

ill have a go but i dont know about doing all of them in the season. just 2 or 3 events. Also need to get some propper tyres and do a few bits on the car first.

I did this season on road tyres, you don't need anything special.

How much actual track time do you get ?

This season it was generally 2-3 practice runs (iirc we had 3 at Teesside), and 8 timed runs. A run is between 1-3 minutes depending on the track. When we finished early at Barkston we were free to do untimed runs afterwards with passengers, which was quite good fun - interesting to see what line other people took. No guarantee that an event will finish early though of course.

Edited by AlexM (see edit history)

So where are the club representitives then... if theres a good enough interest then surely the club can enquire on getting a Supra championship going??

People who are interested, even if only for a round, put your name down here so we can see the numbers....

1.SteveL

Is everyone reading AlexM's posts, saying he's been competing in the (now reasonably established) TSS?

(For info: a Supra owner called Baz used to promote the series on here quite a lot, as he was a co-organiser.)

I'll be there regardless, had good fun this year.

It's a small friendly series, not that expensive, and if you ask questions you will learn a lot. You do not need a big power Single Supra to join in, I'm running an NA 5spd (stripped interior but otherwise stock) and really enjoyed it.

This year we ran at -

R1. Rockingham (Using the oval), with a coned layout

R2. Barkston heath - a tight course with a good surface, at an air base

R3. Waterbeach - airfield with a coned layout

R4. Barkston heath (reverse)

R5. Waterbeach long

R6. Teesside (Dark), great fun, used the whole circuit and it was pretty much pitch black - just make sure your headlights aren't yellowed. :D video

Regulations can be found here, forum is here.

Hopefully we'll see some more members there next year, Supra class or not. :)

It's happening regardless. You don't need a Supra class to join in, I was the only Supra owner running this year and I don't mind if I am next year - it's just nice if there are a few more. :)
Edited by SteveR (see edit history)