The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why did the face lift models change to analog?

a98pmalcolm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont despair - dont the facelift dash have a boost gauge that is virtually pointless.....?

be content with what you have :)

Im not sure, but i think the look of the pre facelift dials look very dated and boring lol

I kinda also i wish i had marker lights as i think they look cool too

dont despair - dont the facelift dash have a boost gauge that is virtually pointless.....?

be content with what you have :)

It may be pointless in that it doesnt show you what boost the no.1 tubby is making but it shows as +/-, but the updated dash layout does look better.

Plus we got big breaks as standard, 17" wheels as opposed to 16", Recaro option seats, side lights on the rear quarters, VVT-i for an extra 45bhp, but only usefull when stock after that it becomes a PITA, especially for ECU's, updated headlights and rear lights, look a lot cleaner then the older style and revised front grill.

Thinks that about it cosmetically......

FOR THE WIN......what sort of expression is that.....

i'm feeling Old at 31 :rolleyes:

You young chaps will catch up with the lingo, given time ;) :D

In other words, what I was getting at is that the pre-facelift 6spd TT (UK or jspec) is the most advanced development of the supra. The later versions are dumbed down ones. They might have gotten better brakes on some versions but thats about it. VVTi, meh.

It may be pointless in that it doesnt show you what boost the no.1 tubby is making but it shows as +/-, but the updated dash layout does look better.

Plus we got big breaks as standard, 17" wheels as opposed to 16", Recaro option seats, side lights on the rear quarters, VVT-i for an extra 45bhp, but only usefull when stock after that it becomes a PITA, especially for ECU's, updated headlights and rear lights, look a lot cleaner then the older style and revised front grill.

Thinks that about it cosmetically......

I thought you can get the recaro's as a option on the prefacelift ones too as mine has them..although mine is a early 96 car so maybe they only just introduced them...

you young chaps will catch up with the lingo, given time ;) :D

in other words, what i was getting at is that the pre-facelift 6spd tt (uk or jspec) is the most advanced development of the supra. The later versions are dumbed down ones. They might have gotten better brakes on some versions but thats about it. Vvti, meh.

lol whoo whoo pre face lifts are the best ! Lol

The later versions are dumbed down ones.

or just slightly less over engineered.....Its not like the facelifts are suffering as a result of 'weaker' components is it. Toyota saw a couple of areas they could save a few quid and still retain pretty much faultless reliability. ie the new components all do there job just as well................perhaps if you are building a single turbo'd monster a prefacelift is best :)

In other words, what I was getting at is that the pre-facelift 6spd TT (UK or jspec) is the most advanced development of the supra. The later versions are dumbed down ones. They might have gotten better brakes on some versions but thats about it. VVTi, meh.

You say that, but the vvti motor is better IMHO, it has fly-by-wire throttle with extra safety functions built in, such as throttle shutdown when knock is detected and things like that. The VVTi ecu is also a bit more advanced compared to the non-vvti.

yer i got told the VVTI are just over rated, not as tune-able and main thing with them is just to reduce emoitions.....

I couldnt agree more with the facelift headlights!

Thats y i had to get the conversion done b4 i picked the car up lol.....

but the rear lights well......

i think the pre face lift look nicer. i mite be on my own there but they seem to have more shape to them behind the clear cover! the facelifts seem a bit flat and normal.

I was offered face lift rears from Jurgan when i bought the car but Pre-Facelift rears are the winner in my books :)

P.S: quite an interestesting thread this has turned out! :thumbs:

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

yer i got told the VVTI are just over rated, not as tune-able and main thing with them is just to reduce emoitions.....

I wouldnt say overated, you just need to see and understand the differences. But yeah the VVT-i becomes a nightmare to control for aftermarket ECU's, although there is a ECU that can control it, but like Gav said the knock and throttle shut down can be usefull in saving your engine in a instance for what ever reason it runs lean ;)

Pretty much ;)

lol yea the facelift are poo lol

im only saying it as i dont have one lol

Not a fan of the facelift rears. However fronts are a different story

I do think the facelift has a more moden look hence why i changed all my lights, just wish i had the rear side markers

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Regarding clocks, I believe they were changed to a more timeless and classic analogue clock as the digital one was believed to look dated (which it does).

That's just my belief though. It might just have been cheaper. What is certain, is that they were changed. Of that we can be sure.

I've always fancied getting a well looked after black 6spd TT some day... if it were prefacelift I would be looking to get the lights changed and indicators and so on.

facelift headlamps do look alot better but the rears.... dont do nothing for me if im honest..

I'm with you on that mate :thumbs:

I would love factory leather recaros... but I do like the electrical movement in the standard seats. It makes me feel like I am driving such an expensive car :)

why anyone would want digital clocks in a car which is an old classic is beyond me,mind you lots of things are :D

But when it came out in '93 digital time was everywhere. My dad still has the CASIO digital watch that his work bought him when he started. He's not much into watches, but the thing is like a tank - doesn't need winding up and batteries go on for about a decade.

Also, the Supra wasn't classic when it came out ;)