The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why did the face lift models change to analog?

a98pmalcolm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say that, but the vvti motor is better IMHO, it has fly-by-wire throttle with extra safety functions built in, such as throttle shutdown when knock is detected and things like that. The VVTi ecu is also a bit more advanced compared to the non-vvti.

Some would say that's the very reason why Toyota cut costs on everything else on the later cars. Development of an emission friendly engine dips into petty cash somewhat.

The VVTi system was used mostly for emissions purposes :p And the FBW throttle has a habit of tripping out for no reason, leaving you in limp-home mode where the last 10% of throttle travel works the first 10% of the throttle. I believe the fix is to buy a whole new throttle body at about £600 :blink: I only know of one car its knock sensing has saved and that's because the pudding added 15deg of timing without listening for det or anything ;) (he then bitched about the stupid throttle closing by itself hah)

I think the facelift did a lot of good things. Mine hasn't had the boot release or seatbelt problem (er actually the drivers one might be a bit tired now at 13 years old). The dash is better by miles, nice gauge surround, no rubber stuff to peel off. Nicer steering wheel, head and tail lights are way prettier, indicators in the right place haha :D Thinner metal? Er, ok, well it still stops the rain getting in so...

The best Supra evar is a facelift pre-vvti , I think there was a 6 to 9 month window to get one of those. 6spd manual of course. In red :D

And my diff hasn't let go yet.

-Ian

Never heard of a FBW throttle problem......interesting.....

The VVTi system was used mostly for emissions purposes :p And the FBW throttle has a habit of tripping out for no reason, leaving you in limp-home mode where the last 10% of throttle travel works the first 10% of the throttle. I believe the fix is to buy a whole new throttle body at about £600 :blink: I only know of one car its knock sensing has saved and that's because the pudding added 15deg of timing without listening for det or anything ;) (he then bitched about the stupid throttle closing by itself hah)

I think the facelift did a lot of good things. Mine hasn't had the boot release or seatbelt problem (er actually the drivers one might be a bit tired now at 13 years old). The dash is better by miles, nice gauge surround, no rubber stuff to peel off. Nicer steering wheel, head and tail lights are way prettier, indicators in the right place haha :D Thinner metal? Er, ok, well it still stops the rain getting in so...

The best Supra evar is a facelift pre-vvti , I think there was a 6 to 9 month window to get one of those. 6spd manual of course. In red :D

And my diff hasn't let go yet.

-Ian