• Both digital and hard copy?
    • Monthly publication?
    • Quarterly publication?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On paper (excuse the pun :) ) i think its a fantastic idea to get the club more recognised with non members at car shows/meets etc. However i also agree with what a few others have said in that for members, this forum satisfys every part of supra ownership, which in turn says just how impressive this forum is. The time involved for a monthly issue would be huge for those involved, quartely or 6 monthly may be better.

Not knocking the idea at all, it would be great to have a mag in hand all about the club but i kinda feel this forum is already the best kind of magazine you could read :)

could be extremely interesting though....

Sounds good, though I think it should be more a yearly magazine\bi-yearly (just invented that word) ;).

It would involve a lot of work, but I think it could be all done within a weekend with everyone together?

I am happy to do my part for the club and bring some biscuits. :D

Also on another point, I've seen Tom's photography and his on par with the top mag professionals!

I have hundreds of magazine's at home which I could bring for idea's. I do like the way CAR magazine format is, nice and simple.

Edited by Abz
Added couple points. (see edit history)

but I think it could be all done within a weekend with everyone together?:D

Really??!! A weekend??! You jest surely! If its design by committee it would take months - trust me, I've been doing this sort of work for 20 years.

Done properly it could supplement the website really well - documenting some great builds/projects, meet the members etc, coverage of previous meets, technical section not just for newbies, ICE section etc - it could be something very special. Some good ads from suppliers on here etc could generate a bit of cash to help towards production as well.

I think it would be of some real merit. The website is great, no argument there, but something like a club mag (annual or bi-annual max) would be a real mark of quality, set us apart from the Barry Boys etc. Whilst I can get a good 'fix' from the forum, I still buy every car mag going!

If we started now looking at content etc, you'd reasonably have something together and produced by March/April next year - it would take that long because of discussions needed about style, content, collating pics, articles and ads etc. You could do it in a few weeks but it would be cheap and nasty and we're not cheap and nasty.

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

It would involve a lot of work, but I think it could be all done within a weekend with everyone together?

Now that's optimism! Individual pieces perhaps, but the total package would take ages to bring together from draft to final.

Communication between contributors, those editing, illustrating, collating and finishing would take longer than just that.

I think it's a good idea :)

The mag could left in reception, on an office desk, passed around and viewed by all sorts of

people with various cars. All viewing supra related information and pictures.

I've had lots of questions about the car and when i've told them to look on the web you see

the look in their faces and know they wont :innocent:

To be able to say 'here are have a look at this' and hand a mag over would be good :cool:

There's enough people on here doing different types of events to write reports, it may encourage other to try things out.

This weekend at Shakespeare there was a grand total of 1 supra in attendance :rolleyes: may be a bit of mag coverage would increase numbers?

Really??!! A weekend??! You jest surely! If its design by committee it would take months - trust me, I've been doing this sort of work for 20 years.

Done properly it could supplement the website really well - documenting some great builds/projects, meet the members etc, coverage of previous meets, technical section not just for newbies, ICE section etc - it could be something very special. Some good ads from suppliers on here etc could generate a bit of cash to help towards production as well.

I think it would be of some real merit. The website is great, no argument there, but something like a club mag (annual or bi-annual max) would be a real mark of quality, set us apart from the Barry Boys etc. Whilst I can get a good 'fix' from the forum, I still buy every car mag going!

If we started now looking at content etc, you'd reasonably have something together and produced by March/April next year - it would take that long because of discussions needed about style, content, colleting pics, articles and ads etc. You could do it in a few weeks but it would be cheap and nasty and we're not cheap and nasty.

Now that's optimism! Individual pieces perhaps, but the total package would take ages to bring together from draft to final.

Communication between contributors, those editing, illustrating, collating and finishing would take longer than just that.

:yeahthat:

This isn't going to be a few bits of times new roman on A4... if I'm going to put my name to this it will have to be good :D

Also, I'd like to make this the first step towards fighting back at what The Fast and The Furious has done to our cars and the perception thereof. We're not (generally) a bunch of chavs, but real enthusiasts with good cars who love to drive them.

Hey you gotta aim high! I like to run a tight ship :D

Yes very true it won't be all done in a weekend, but if we all went off and did all of our bits, like articles, photo's etc. Then we could meet up in one weekend? Maybe a barn or some who has a big house... or hire out a cottage in wales? Then we could do the editing if you like in a weekend**.

**This means starting Sat 12am and not finishing until 11:59pm on Sun. No sleep is allowed, no pissing, shitting, shagging (some of you guys have a reputation).

An everyone will take turns to do the RED BULL run!

I'd be well up for working on a double page spread to give people an idea of possible style/look/feel - perhaps a cover idea too. Most people's ideas of what can be achieved is often changed completely when they see something 'real'. I personally think it's a great idea and would be happy to get involved as much as possible - FOC.

I think even a yearly 'MKIV Annual" would be a great idea. A SupraPod special, photos from the meets all around the country, including information of where people went, the roads they took etc etc... I can see it being quite nice :)

In my mind, a weekly magazine would be too much work and would lose the appeal of a well put together installment. I'd buy the mag for £5 if it was anything like the idea I now have in my head!

Light refurb guide; boot install tips and ideas; there's so much on this site it would be lovely to have it in print :)

EDIT: I also put myself forward to help where necessary.

Ahhh what 18 months does to your enthusiasm.

I was always well and truly behind the magazine idea but actually now I'm finding myself agreeing that I don't think it would be of benefit - unless it was maybe once a year thing with news and reviews about garages/club events etc, maybe just after the summer season.

I'm not coming over all tree hugging but I think as well it would have to be digital if at all.

I think whoever is doing it needs to understand these things take a lot of your own personal time and if you have a remotely demanding job your enthusiasm for it has to be a million percent with very little gratitude.

Hey you gotta aim high! I like to run a tight ship :D

Yes very true it won't be all done in a weekend, but if we all went off and did all of our bits, like articles, photo's etc. Then we could meet up in one weekend? Maybe a barn or some who has a big house... or hire out a cottage in wales? Then we could do the editing if you like in a weekend**.

**This means starting Sat 12am and not finishing until 11:59pm on Sun. No sleep is allowed, no pissing, $#@!ting, shagging (some of you guys have a reputation).

An everyone will take turns to do the RED BULL run!

First vote goes to Abz not having anything to do with the planning! :D

I'm not coming over all tree hugging but I think as well it would have to be digital if at all.

Why do you say that?

My feeling is we'll achieve more with a hard copy, because that's where the gap in the market is. There's nothing wrong with carbon offsetting if that's where you're going, but the point about people having something to physically hold is a good one.

I think whoever is doing it needs to understand these things take a lot of your own personal time and if you have a remotely demanding job your enthusiasm for it has to be a million percent with very little gratitude.

Agreed, but with enough willing people it could work.

I say we give it a go using the idea Ellis put forward, design a double page spread to test reaction.

I've been championing the idea of a club magazine with some of the mods (you know who you are! :D).

I think we could produce something fairly respectable, mainly for the following reasons:

• The talent of photographers we have on the site (e.g. Tom, Lui)
  • The quality and humour in certain member's writing (e.g. Michael, Red M, Matt H)
  • The photogenic cars people have built (e.g. Supradibbs)
  • The photogenic driving some members like to partake in (e.g. Jamie P)

The build threads we've seen over the past year have also been incredible, in both pictoral and technical aspects.

The club events make the ideal content for major features, and we've got members competiting in 3 different kinds of motorsport that spring directly to mind.

Members could add blogs about trips they've been on, and it would give the newer members a way to familiarise themselves with the club and its members without feeling like they have to become 'accepted' as a poster on the site first.

We've such a wealth of experience on here, I think it would be good to have something we can be proud of as a club.

What do people think? What objections do people have?

I've added a poll with a few options/ideas, vote for as many as you like. It's just to get an idea of demand or lack of... I can add more options as they are suggested.

I'd be happy to get involved in my own time to help pull it all together, I have some professional experience at this sort of thing.

i think its a great idea :iagree: