The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rx7, what do you know?

pezzler

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was behind an RX7 on the road the other day, and my window was down (as usual). I thought something awful had happened to the engine of my supra, but it turned out it was the RX7 in front of me. Sounded really weird!

They look good and if money was no object, I would have one in my 'dream' garage. However, money very much is an object, so I won't buy one.

Not always good attention though, is it? :D

Besides, if you did the same mods to a Rex and a Supra I know which one I'd chose, and it's not the Rex.

I get far better comments and attention than the supra if I am honest. Afterall its a very unique and special rare car. People are intrigued about the rotary engine and stuff. Supra its all "fast and furious" talk - admittedly my old car having the same kit may have something to do with that - lol.

I know which I'd choose too everytime. Rx7 is incredibly addictive and feels very very special compared to any other car I have been in. The popping from the exhaust, flames, high rev limit, fantastic handling, superb styling, unique door handles, low centre of gravity, beautifully designed doors (when you open them and look at them from the outside you'll see what I mean), the magical 3rd gear as its called as its just keeps pulling, the unique warm up idling system, the fact the car was made over 12 years (how many other cars have had that lifespan - a testament to its stunning styling and performance) ... I could go on forever.

Its one of those cars each time you go in it you realise the incredible effort and attention to detail Mazda put into the car.

Why they made the rx8 afterwards, although definitely unique in many ways does detract from the brilliance of the 7.

Don't get me wrong they are not without their faults, and I certainly wouldn't say its reliable either. But given how cheap they are now to pick up, they are great toys for the money.

My brother and 2 of my friends have them. They are expensive and slightly unreliable, but you forget about that once you've been in a big single one. It's like being strapped to a superbike with the insane acceleration. Light body + big turbo = big smile :)

I get far better comments and attention than the supra if I am honest. Afterall its a very unique and special rare car. People are intrigued about the rotary engine and stuff. Supra its all "fast and furious" talk - admittedly my old car having the same kit may have something to do with that - lol.

Have to agree, most people have no idea what an RX7 is. Rebuilds can be expensive. Mine was £4k car had done 70K miles and was still running but I wanted more power so had the engine ported (basically inlet and outlet ports are larger much larger than standard now) throw on a GT4088 turbo and your laughing..... seriously your laughing.

The engines can be remove and reduced to component parts in about 3 hours. Saw one taken apart and was done in 30 mins, try that with a 2JZ-GTE.

Had my supra for 3 years and the biggest problem i had was it was big and heavy. The RX7 isn't, the REX is nearly 300Kg lighter. So on twisty roads it really shows.

Yes I now go through 60L of fuel in 200 miles but the car is a weekend toy I have a diesel for work.

Had my engine let go on it's own instead of me getting it rebuilt I may have a different opinion, so far RX7 ownership has been trouble free. To many scare stories knocking around looked after they are reliable.

Oh but if your over 6ft 3"-4" forget about them you'll never fit comfortably in one.

Supra its all "fast and furious" talk - admittedly my old car having the same kit may have something to do with that - lol.

Do you hang out at Mcdonalds? ;)

I know which I'd choose too everytime. Rx7 is incredibly addictive and feels very very special compared to any other car I have been in. .

Have you ever been in a Single turbo Supra? RX7s sound nice, but there's no comparison

the fact the car was made over 12 years (how many other cars have had that lifespan - a testament to its stunning styling and performance) .

The NSX was made for almost 20 years, MX5, Mitsi GTO, 300zx, jaguar XJS, Jaguar E-type and many others

Its one of those cars each time you go in it you realise the incredible effort and attention to detail Mazda put into the car .

I'd say more so with the Supra. The RX7s cabin is poor compared to the Supras. And if it's attention to detail you want, how over engineered is the Supra? The whole engine and transmission can reliably handle 2-3 times the torque

and I certainly wouldn't say its reliable either. But given how cheap they are now to pick up, they are great toys for the money.

They can be extremely reliable IF they have been cared for correctly. I'm a big fan of the RX7, but the Supra is a much better car on the whole, certainly for use on the road.

I'd love an RX7 as a track toy though.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

the fact the car was made over 12 years (how many other cars have had that lifespan - a testament to its stunning styling and performance)

Erm my supra was made 15 years ago and has done nearly 130,000 fault free miles as far as engine, gearbox, turbos and major mechanicals go which i'd say was pretty impressive.

the example that jurgen recently sold/has for sale, had a rebuild at his place, was fairly stock and would probably go fault free for an additional 50k. i believe he had it up for £6.5 which is an absolute bargain given the overall condition of the car. as for which is a better car; silly question in my opinion as they both have their qualities, i'd still maintain that the supra is a better road car - the rx7 is more of an agile little weekend weopon that you rape around.

4 years of supra ownership has just kinda got me feeling like i need a break, for a short while anyway. probably would have about £8000 to play with which opens up a few possibilities. i obviously want something quick, japanese, and special but..

scooby - hate them, too chavvy

evo - as above

skyline - only like the r34 gtr and theyre too pricey

300zx - too 80's, too ugly

200sx - although s15's are pretty...four pot

mitsi gto - very plasticy looking - a bit don johnson

nsx - unfortunately too pricey

german cars in my price range dont really do it for me either...maybe i'll just stick with what i have! splash some cash on her, might relight my fire - similar to sending the mrs off for a boob job i guess! :)

i broke an rx in about 400yds and it wasnt mine , i had to pay for part of the repair. so in all iv spent more repairing an rx-7 in 400yds than i have repairing my supra in 18,000 miles . makes my mind up

in what sort of odd world would you agree to pay for part of the repair of a car that broke down after you driving it 400 yards? are you mental!:blink:

I'm a big fan of the RX7, but the Supra is a much better car on the whole, certainly for use on the road.

I'd love an RX7 as a track toy though.

I disagree with a lot of your points but can't be bothered to comment on them individually , sorry.

No-one said supras were crap man. For me a rx7 is a much more enjoyable car - at least reliability aside - lol.

Apples and oranges man.

I love the shape and look of the rx7. Almost bought Jurgens old red one before I bought the Supra. I would still definately have one if I ever got bored with mine.

To me they are 2 different type of car. I would have a rx7 to throw about a bit etc while my supra is awesome in a straight line but pretty scarey when on the twisties sometimes (talking about my car, not in general). All imo of course.

i actually find the rx7 pretty ugly, thats also the common consensus i find.

They are a very impressive car when working, i just cant stand looking at them, lol

they have nice features, such as the single black band across the back for the lights, and the badge, lol thats about it for me.

I dont like the shape unless modified, but my main issue with them is the cabin, it pokes out way too much! its huge, bubbly and obscene imo.

I have always oo'd and ahh;d at them for what they are, but as mentioned they arent the best for everyday use.

My mates was damn quick, but felt cheap, shoddy and basic inside, oh and around 2000miles later the car was dead, engine issues as ever.

They are just a big pocket of trouble from what i read and experienced by my mates, though i doubt he had it rebuilt.

id love to have one, if it was rebuilt, modified and free, lol.

I couldnt justify spending money on it the way they need.

I disagree with a lot of your points but can't be bothered to comment on them individually , sorry.

No-one said supras were crap man. For me a rx7 is a much more enjoyable car - at least reliability aside - lol.

Apples and oranges man.

Everyone's entitled to thier own opinions. I'm right though, of course ;)

Im a big supra fan and still am but after owning a 370bhp single rx, they are awesome cars.

The handling is really good, very nimble and the power is much smoother so coming out of corners, you can be on the power early compared to the supra's that Ive owned and drove.

The fuel was a round 40-43miles to a tenner of v-power with normal driving and a few high speed runs. So it was around the same as my last 400bhp supra.

The downsides on the car for me was,

the quality of the cars built is no where near as good as the supra e.g leaks when you open the boot because of bad design, interior is poor compared to supra, you cant be big or taller than

6' and the worry of the engine giving up.

I think that'll do, not into mega detail but hopefully its of some use to you.

If you have a main car and just want a toy then the rx7 is a really good choice.

Edited by supratoy
words (see edit history)