The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tesco 99Ron

baojun

Who said that Tesco would lie?

If they display 99RON on the pump, that's what customs and excise will expect to find. I'm only filling up from those pumps from now on.

The issue here (taken personally for some perverse reason) stems from Shell not displaying any RON figure on the Optimax pumps, while spreading 98RON rumours. If they displayed any RON figure there would be no 'misunderstanding', would there?

My own KnockLink indications from Optimax have been positive, by the way.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not a fuel expert but I would say if tesco claim this to be 99RON why would'nt it be........there reputatation is on the line and as one of the biggest companies around im sure they would'nt falsly advertise....they could be sued for millions

I would agree with the above....now that Tesco have labelled their pumps with the 99RON rating it would be foolish for them if the fuel wasnt up to that rating. BP and Shell would simply have a field day.

Lets wait and see.

oh btw: I have filled up with Tesco 99, its also 6p /ltr cheaper than Optimax. Just resetted the ECU and will let you know how I get on.

With Optimax I was also getting 21mpg after the decat (london driving)

I think THE question is who supplies Tesco?

And if they can supply Tesco why arn't they supplying us already.

Shell have V-Power on the continent which is 100octane (another reason why it's fair to assume they can manage to produce humble 98octane Optimax).

They can't be the only ones to be able to make fuel this good on a mass scale...so who is it that is making a jumped up SUL for Tesco? Esso would be my bet because they haven't gone down the Optimax/BP Ultimate route which would cause a conflict of interest + Esso are tied into Toyota F1...so their fuel development program and F1 rules may need them to develop a better fuel which they can test "secretly" via Tesco's punters.

How's that for some twisted logic.

IMHO - I find Esso Super Unleaded (97RON) to be a better fuel than Optimax anyway from a performance, fuel economy point of view. This has been proven time and time again on my current car, the Supra TT And my previous car a Honda Prelude.

If ESSO are behind Tesco 99, then I am a happy man...

like I said, early days yet, lets see how the Sup takes to tesco 99

I'm a Manager for Tesco and its is true they do not manufacturer their own petrol they buy it from distribution centres like Kingsbury etc. They keep prices low by buying from different suppliers (cheapest on the day normally)

Most of the time on our reciepts for deliveries it tends to bi elf-avn Texaco and Esso. Tesco are one of the largest retail sales sellers and have recently removed all of there LRP and have replaced with SUL and Tesco being Tesco are pretty switched on when it comes to customers needs so would think they have seen the oppurtunity and gone for it

So that would be Esso or Texaco then?

Who said that Tesco would lie?

If they display 99RON on the pump, that's what customs and excise will expect to find. I'm only filling up from those pumps from now on.

The issue here (taken personally for some perverse reason) stems from Shell not displaying any RON figure on the Optimax pumps, while spreading 98RON rumours. If they displayed any RON figure there would be no 'misunderstanding', would there?

My own KnockLink indications from Optimax have been positive, by the way.

I dont want to get involved in all the who-ha and politics John, I can see you have more than a strong opinion of most things car related.....not for me thanks.......this is just my opinion though. False advertising is very serious offense and IMO Tesco's would be in deep $hit if they were to do this and they know it, so I feel confident that what I am putting in is in fact 99RON as they claim it to be

its 89.9 p a litre in the tescos in salisbury on the a36. Back to the original intent of the thread LOL. To be fair I personally don't find any noticeable difference between that 99 ron from tesco, the super unleaded from sainsburies, the super unleaded from esso, or optimax. I don't have a knock sensor thingumy so I don't know whats going on inside but I don't feel any difference under the foot when I use it. I alternate between the different types of fuel as I am to a certain degree scared of buggerin something up by not using optimax, but not that scared to pay their premium for every tankfull.

I'm a Manager for Tesco...

Most of the time on our reciepts for deliveries it tends to bi elf-avn Texaco and Esso....

Damn didn't even notice this before hand...Hmmm Texaco do make a decent fuel, but I'd expect it to be Esso simply based on Esso's market share in the UK.

False advertising is very serious offense and IMO Tesco's would be in deep $hit if they were to do this and they know it, so I feel confident that what I am putting in is in fact 99RON as they claim it to be

I agree mate, that's why I'll try to fill from those pumps only. Why do you raise the issue of Tesco involved in false advertising? :confused: Nobody here questioned Tesco. Their labeling is clear and upfront.

Shell have V-Power on the continent which is 100octane (another reason why it's fair to assume they can manage to produce humble 98octane Optimax).

V Power is coming to the UK, albeit at 99 instead of 100 :rolleyes:

I guess they don't want to be outdone and V Power will replace Optimax......

Anything that explicitly states a high octane number is good news, really...

I just hope that turbo owners will keep the Tesco 'trial' forecourts busy, or else they may retract it and then we're back to the old crap again...

From a point made earlier in this thread made about Optimax not neccessarily being 98RON by the fact that it is no longer listed as that on the pump..... there may be some trueth in that.

I questioned my local optimax garage manager who happened to be on duty when I filled up tonight and he said that instead of optimax being 98RON he predicted it was more like 96RON when it came out of the pump.

Now I'm not taking this as straight fact but it could suggest that optimax deteriorates from 98RON to 96RON at a much faster rate than they would like the public to know about.

If Tesco's fuel is stated on the pump as being 99RON then this is exactly what it will have to be. Where as now that Shell don't have any statement of RON value at the pump there could be a possibility that it is lower at the pump than what it is when it comes out of the refinery?

Imi, any feedback on this yet matey?

I reset the ECU of the car...took it out for a spin, will need to do a few more miles before I give you my feedback.

Car is certainly very smooth....not lumpy like when I put in BP Ultimate..

Will be interesting to see what its like in the higher rev range and fuel economy...