The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tesco 99Ron

baojun

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I filled up at winchester tesco's with their all new 99 ron. Cant say i noticed much difference but then I wasn't driving :) Ash mate yes it is a crease in the door done by a rather nice builder guy that fecked off and left it but I found the guy (Its a whole nother story told in another thread dood). Life has changed a bit my end. I'll give ya all the details as and when I make another meet.

Guest imvarma
Well Tesco didn't have 97RON before did they?

TBH i dont fill up at supermarkets so havent a clue but will have to give this 99ron a try, might save me using an octaine booster continually.

Ive used Sainsburys SUL for the past few months, and as you found out Wez, there aint no difference in performance ;)

hmm i'd be concerned if that's all a double decat can bring to the party :D

my measly standard boost wasn't too far behind ;)

you had a look at Tescos in Preston yet for this 99RON?

I might try it next time. I'd like to know who their supplier is, I know Sainsburies have teamed up with soemone like BP? to sell their stuff in their garages, I wonder if Tesco have done the same.

Plus theres more to fuel than the octane level, I mean have they simply put a lot of crap in it to boost it up compromising on other aspects of clean burning fuel?

...will have to give this 99ron a try, might save me using an octaine booster continually.

all the Octane booster in the world won't bring 97RON up to 99RON, not on a full tankful anyway.

You have to remember that OBs refer to "octane points" which are decimal, so at best you are promised "up to" 0.2 extra octane, or similar.

You'd need to add almost 5 liters of pure toluene or xylene to raise a tankful of 97RON up to 99. The so-called OBs are nowhere near as pure stuff (which is nasty and illegal for such use) so you'd need a lot more of them.

You get the picture...

I filled my car up with the 99 RON fuel from tesco. I have not noticed a difference but it 88p a litre instead of the usual 93.something that I pay for Optimax. so saving money if anything.

the ECU takes a little while to learn for the new fuel. I found it takes about a tankfull before it realises, or you could just pull the ECU fuses to force a reset.

JB

This one claims to be 99 RON according to British Standards, which is 4RON more than Oprimax claims.

I don't see myself filling it up anywhere else, really....

Optimax is 98RON, normal SUL is 95RON, so its only 1 RON more. Or am I missing something?

This one claims to be 99 RON according to British Standards, which is 4RON more than Oprimax claims.

I don't see myself filling it up anywhere else, really....

Isn't this because Optimax only guarantee 95 min Octane as it's supposed to degrade over time!

Not sure about Tesco's 99 ron

So this could be a difference of 4 Ron

Optimax is 98RON, normal SUL is 95RON, so its only 1 RON more. Or am I missing something?
Yes, you've fallen for the hype and false claims of Shell I'm afraid.

Optimax is only certified at 95RON, despite the JClarkson and Ferrari claptrap.

They were reported to the ASA and they had to apologise and retract their 'high octane' insinuations (because they never dared to explicitly claim that it is of more than 95 Octane, just spread internet rumours).

Cheers,

John

Nah mate. we aint got a tesco. The one in Blackpool or one here in Wigan are the closest. Gonna check out the Wigan one in nexdt few days hopefully.

hmm i'd be concerned if that's all a double decat can bring to the party :D

my measly standard boost wasn't too far behind ;)

you had a look at Tescos in Preston yet for this 99RON?

Yes, you've fallen for the hype and false claims of Shell I'm afraid.

Optimax is only certified at 95RON, despite the JClarkson and Ferrari claptrap.

They were reported to the ASA and they had to apologise and retract their 'high octane' insinuations (because they never dared to explicitly claim that it is of more than 95 Octane, just spread internet rumours).

Cheers,

John

I'm glad you posted that link mate, it undermines your conspiracy theory completely ;) e.g. the ASA agrees that Optimax *is* a higher octane than most fuel but they can't claim it's the best unleaded fuel because other 'super' variants exist. And they got a slap for indicating that it instantly gives your car more power whereas it may take time to decoke stuff and some cars may not respond as well to the higher octance. Aaaand, they got a slap for not qualifying the "three car lengths ahead" as it implied engine size didn't matter :rolleyes:. And it encouraged dangerous overtaking, sighh. So the marketing hype got a kicking, as did any whiff of reference to fun driving, but the fact it's higher octane than boggo unleaded was upheld. Yay :)

-Ian

I'm glad you posted that link mate, it undermines your conspiracy theory completely ;) ...

Ian, you have to read very carefully the wording of their ads as well. Nowhere do they make false claims, the fuel is always labelled 'Uleaded'. Not 'super uleaded'. ;)

They always compare it to 95RON fuels of the competition, and that was slated by the ASA.

They didn't dare compare it to SUL of the competition, because that one is a cut above. It's not just what they say, it's what they fail to say, too. :sly:

Shell have an optimax forum, where I've repeatedly pestered their 'expert' to give straight answers to straight questions.

In vain.

Then I pestered their headquarters, who did eventually respond with RON and MON figures.

The internet 'hype' is based on RON figures as the fuel leaves the refinery, which can bear no resemblance to what you'll experience several days later after it's been in their trucks, their garage tanks and your own tank as well.

The fuel will not always pass the 97RON standard at the pumps, that's why it cannot be labeled as such. If you have KnockLink and monitor such things (as people like us tend to do) you probably have seen the large variations of knock resistance that Optimax can display.

Pot luck.

I use Optimax with no problems, have done since it came out, I've read the ASA report and I'm satisfied that it was the overblown marketing and some liberal hand-wringing that caused them problems, but that's my interpretation of it. I agree that pump fuel quality varies which is why tuning a road car to the edge of it's life for maximum power is a real gamble, I prefer a (large) safety margin. I won't defend Optimax if someone could say "It's 95RON rebadged" but I would defend it against FUD.

Let me run this past you:

If it's 97RON at the refinery but could be 95RON by the time it reaches the pumps, doesn't that mean 95RON would degrade as well in a similar fashion? If not why not? And why would Optimax drop conveniently to 95RON and stay there?

If it's just 95RON the ASA wouldn't have upheld the claim that it it higher octane and is proven to improve performance of *some* cars...

So if it's not just 95RON but in fact 95RON with additives that boost it to 97RON, *but* these additives only last the journey from the refinery to the petrol station, why would Shell bother spending the cash on these additives?! That's one business plan that would never fly :)

Refute away :)

-Ian

... I agree that pump fuel quality varies

that's why tuners of very high performance 'street' turbos like to map on SUL and not optimax, because it's more consistent

I won't defend Optimax if someone could say "It's 95RON rebadged" but I would defend it against FUD.

I, too, agree with what they claim: it's the best unleaded fuel out there. :D

It's just that I'm after super unleaded fuel, 95RON isn't good enough for me, call me weird ;)

If it's 97RON at the refinery but could be 95RON by the time it reaches the pumps,

In real life it's around 99 RON leaving the refinery and it could be anything between 95 and 98 when you actually inject it in your engine. Varies quite a lot depending on temperatures, time, use of inert gas in the special tanks, blah blah...

doesn't that mean 95RON would degrade as well in a similar fashion?

No, the composition of Optimax means that the more volatile ingedients evaporate more easily. It's not a trivial subject this one, not like having a bottle of alcohol open and evaporating...

If it's just 95RON the ASA wouldn't have upheld the claim that it it higher octane and is proven to improve performance of *some* cars...

Higher octane does improve the performance of cars that are designed to take advantage of it.

The above statement is true, but in no way implies that Optimax is that sort of fuel.

It's playing with words mate, just like policians, trying to make sales giving one impression without actually getting caught lying.

Loss of octane is not the only degradation affecting fuels, neither is it always the most important factor.

You may want to go through the VERY long thread at the GTR forum, I found it quite amusing and interesting, so much in fact that I've kept a local copy on my website, in the 'advanced' fuelling page.

Have a go, none of us knows everything, we each see a small part of the puzzle...