The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1.2 bar. Finally.

hoff

i thought you might somehow! :D i also have a crappy set of 17s which should clear UKs.. The 16's wont unfortunatly.

I may consider selling the 16s, there not in that bad of nick, the usual bit of toyota corrosion but nothing serious and they got good tyres on them but i like the idea of having a spare set!

id sell the 17s no questions asked but there a bit of a mess, paints flaking off alover

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

i thought you might somehow! :D i also have a crappy set of 17s which should clear UKs.. The 16's wont unfortunatly.

I may consider selling the 16s, there not in that bad of nick, the usual bit of toyota corrosion but nothing serious and they got good tyres on them but i like the idea of having a spare set!

id sell the 17s no questions asked but there a bit of a mess, paints flaking off alover

No wander they threw you out the bodyshop Martin:p

No and No (not all TTs came with large spec brakes). You might be able to use spacers to allow the use of 16's, I thought I saw a thread on here where someone had but I can't find it..

Of course, thats right. Cheers mate:)

I have a set of spacers that would do the job. I used them on an old set of wheels I had. Not great on the road but what sort of effect would you think they would have on the strip?

Even if I went for the 17's that would be an improvement for drag times over the 18's I have.

Edited by hoff (see edit history)

Took the supra out for the 1st time today since setting the boost controller.

Last week when I set it up I was constanly boosting to exactly 1.2 bar, 1.22 on occasion. But this morning when it was cold (it was very hot when I set it up) I was hitting 1.33 bar. Is this because it was set up in much warmer weather and I need to do it again when cool or is it something else. I could turn it down but then I may not be reaching 1.2 at all. I'll take it out again tomorrow to see what I'm boosting at as it could have been a spike I suppose.

Yes you will get a slight increase in boost pressure at different temps, not sure if temperature alone would make such a difference though.

What gear did you initially set the boost controller up in? You will see higher peak boost levels in higher gears when the engine is under more load. ie. if you were to set the boost controller in 2nd gear to peak at 1.2bar, you will see a higher peak boost in 3rd/4th/5th/6th gear.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Yes you will get a slight increase in boost pressure at different temps, not sure if temperature alone would make such a difference though.

What gear did you initially set the boost controller up in? You will see higher peak boost levels in higher gears when the engine is under more load. ie. if you were to set the boost controller in 2nd gear to peak at 1.2bar, you will see a higher peak boost in 3rd/4th/ 5th/6th gear.

How do you set it up for specific gears Nic? I dont have anyone to do this while on the move i adjusted my bc to 1.15bar at a stand still will this cause over boost in higher gears even with the 1.2bar restrictor ring?

What boost controller do you have fitted Tony?

Some of the more expensive electronic boost controllers allow you to map the boost settings against speed, throttle position, rpms, etc. Once set up correctly this will allow you to achieve for example 1.2bar through every gear.

If you are using a boost controller that doesn't have this feature, then you will need to set it up to achieve peak boost in a higher gear eg. 4th or 5th, but this will mean that you won't necessarily reach the same peak boost in a lower gear, ie. if you were to set the boost controller so you get a peak boost of 1.2bar in 4th gear, the boost may only peak to 1 - 1.1bar in lower gears when the engine is under less load.

If you already have a restrictor ring fitted that limits the peak boost to 1.2bar, then there is very little benefit in having a boost controller fitted as well. A boost controller can only raise boost, so if your car makes 1.2bar with only a restrictor ring fitted, then all the boost controller can do is raise the pressure above this level.

Ah I see. Being an auto I just set it up as I would normally drive. There was nothing in the instructions about selecting a particular gear.

EVC 5 manual Page 7 (4) of the instructions it says 'Try to use the highest gear possible (3rd or 4th) and apply load on the car on full throttle.'

The EVC 5 is not the easiest to set up and will take a bit of adjustment and testing to get the best results. I personally wouldn't bother with the monitor mode and just set it up manually.

First make sure the button on the back of the controller is set to SW if using with stock turbos with internal wastegate. Then set the boost warning level, this will alert you if the pressure goes too high. Next have the boost controller turned on, but with all settings at zero so it is basically just acting as a boost gauge and not having any effect on the wastegate.

Find a long straight incline and in 4th (or equivalent manually selected gear) open the car up at full throttle and establish what the base boost level is. This will be the peak hold value shown on the screen.

Next adjust the settings a little at a time and repeat the run, you should see an increase in the peak hold pressure reading. Keep repeating the run until you reach the desired boost level and basically that's it.

Keep a careful eye on the boost levels when driving after setup, especially if you're in 5th/6th with the engine under load, as you may see a higher peak boost level, you may need to lower the settings a little if you are.

The EVC 5 has a scramble mode feature, if you're feeling brave you can adjust this to say 1.3bar/5 seconds, this will raise the boost level for 5 seconds when the scramble mode is selected. It's a bit of a gimmick though and not something I ever used/needed.

As I said before, in the lower gears the boost level may be a slightly lower.

What boost controller do you have fitted Tony?

Some of the more expensive electronic boost controllers allow you to map the boost settings against speed, throttle position, rpms, etc. Once set up correctly this will allow you to achieve for example 1.2bar through every gear.

If you are using a boost controller that doesn't have this feature, then you will need to set it up to achieve peak boost in a higher gear eg. 4th or 5th, but this will mean that you won't necessarily reach the same peak boost in a lower gear, ie. if you were to set the boost controller so you get a peak boost of 1.2bar in 4th gear, the boost may only peak to 1 - 1.1bar in lower gears when the engine is under less load.

If you already have a restrictor ring fitted that limits the peak boost to 1.2bar, then there is very little benefit in having a boost controller fitted as well. A boost controller can only raise boost, so if your car makes 1.2bar with only a restrictor ring fitted, then all the boost controller can do is raise the pressure above this level.

Hi Nic thanks for the input and explanation. I've a blitz sbc fitted the car wouldnt make 1.2 with just the rr fitted so needed the bc to up the boost to achieve higher than 0.9bar. I've tried to find the receipt for the bc to get the model number but cant seem to find it now.

Thanks.

Hi Nic thanks for the input and explanation. I've a blitz sbc fitted the car wouldnt make 1.2 with just the rr fitted so needed the bc to up the boost to achieve higher than 0.9bar. I've tried to find the receipt for the bc to get the model number but cant seem to find it now.

Thanks.

See here: http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/Product-21.aspx

The Blitz SBD iColour can adjust boost settings against speed, to maximise boost levels through each gear. The Blitz SBC ID III can also do this, but only if you also have the Blitz Power Meter fitted.

The gain feature on both of these can also really help improve the spool up of the turbos.

See here: http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/Product-21.aspx

The Blitz SBD iColour can adjust boost settings against speed, to maximise boost levels through each gear. The Blitz SBC ID III can also do this, but only if you also have the Blitz Power Meter fitted.

The gain feature on both of these can also really help improve the spool up of the turbos.

Thanks for the reply Nic ill need to see if i can find someone to set it up properly and safely.