The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Burgled - Supe's gone

fatmerecat

Yep, I do have news:

The fella's name was Quincey Valentino Maynard, age 29 of Lindsey Avenue, Abington (just around the corner from my house, ffs)

Got 2 years for aggravated vehicle taking... here's a link to the article in the local rag Here........

That's all they could give him by law....

I've had the most ridiculous settlement figure for the car from the Insurance company, they say £5,540, I say :thumbdown

Currently in the midst of the first appeal with the insurance firm, the cheapest I can find on AutoTrader is about 8k for a similar model, so 7.5k would be nice, but unlikely. I've got my plate on retention filally so that's another few quid.

On the idea of replacing my Supe, I have got an eye out for Nic_f's at the moment, his really hits the top level of what i can afford so I need to know back from the insurance before I can torment myself by going and having a look. It does however seem to have pretty much everything on it I would want. Not sure on the Wood dash mind.

Cheers,

Matt

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep appealing with insurance until you get a decent offer, girlfriend wrote off her fiesta just over a year ago. She brought it about 2 months before the accident for 4k, insurance offered 2 at first, couple of appeals we got it up to 3 so hopefully you can get yours up to the figure your after.

They really take the piss, first offer is always so low its insulting....

2 years...what was wrong with the judge???? hes broken into your home and taken your possesions, caused a road accident injuring other people...heres hoping he has a hard time of it

Insurance co's talking auto trader prices are really taking the piss. For the money they are suggesting you could not buy a totally knackered car. A car in good nick has to be double that. Get some prices from importers on here for a good example and show them to you insurance company. We all know any car sold for that price is going to be crap or the owner does not know the value. If they stay in auto trader for more than a day at that low price they will be dogs.

Really sorry to hear about your troubles , I know a few people who would teach this guy a lesson at a price ! PM me if your interested , nothing too sinister just a good old fashioned lesson .

P.S these people are not friends of mine just people i know , im not a violent person but sometimes things have to be dealt with in a way which the law cannot .

I would definatley push for more money by sending proof that your supe was worth more than what they are offering, i.e. ads from auto trader.

A good example is this....I was knocked off my bike in 2002 and it was a write off. It was an RVF 400 in castrol race paint, a mint example. I was offered £2000 which was poor. It was easily worth £4500 at the time and I kept pushing for £4000. I sent ads from bike trader along with a written explanation as to why my bike was worth more. I eventually got 4k after a year of sitting it out.

.........oh, an as for the git who nicked your supe. I would be ready for when he's released.....a nice 9 iron wrapped round his head would do for a start.... :sly:

Check this out for size, basically the letter I sent the other day as a response. This is only the start i expect...

Good call with the wider ranging adverts, to be honest I hadn't thought of scouring the other lot. I think my sub's just run out for JP, best sign up at billing (must check this years date!!!!), no car to show this time(unless I get me skates on!).

...The letter, you may want to use it or abuse it! :

...Faff...

I confirm receipt of your letter dated 24th June 2005 and the accompanying cheque. It would give me great pleasure if you would consider the following words and attached documentary evidence and perform an adjustment against this claim, bringing it more in line with real world figures.

Upon the receipt of the settlement document I was quite disappointed with the figure that lay therein. In an effort to assist you in finding a just and correct figure I have made many investigations and consulted various website available to me.

You will find attached, the results of my investigations.

On page 1 you will find the results of a Parkers guide search. Parkers are effectively a competitor for Glass’ and as such will follow the same modes of assessment in order to remain competitive. I would consider my vehicle, a 1994 72,000 mile GZ MkIV Twin Turbo Supra to have been in good condition at the time of the theft. There was no excessive wear to the interior and the car in fact sported UK cream leather, very rarely seen in an imported Supra.

Pages 2-14 are examples of vehicles currently on sale which are as close to the specification of my vehicle, and differences have been noted on each page. Perhaps the closest by specification and mileage is on pages 6 and 7.

Pages 14-22 is a discussion from the MKIV Supra forum in the UK about the general differences in available trim level between the SZ, RZ, RZ-S, GZ types. This is to assist you in any further investigations, so that you are able to judge the available specification of any car you may find.

As you can see from the information presented, I am currently unable to replace the vehicle with one that likens the specification of my previous vehicle, based on the figure given. It seems I have been given a value lower than what a vehicle may attract when part exchanged with a dealer (see Page 1).

I await your response with interest.

Kind Regards,

...Blah-blah...

Matt

BTW: Nice one. It's good to know people are still interested, didn't wanna drive anyone to :violin: or something

Insurance is one big f*ckup, why is car insurance so different from say household insurance, the idea of the policy should be the same.

I was burgled once and gave the insurance a list of items stolen and receipts, all items where replaced with new or if not available a new model upto the same value of the original.

I believe that if you buy a car for £10000 and it gets stolen the insurance should give you £10000 to go and buy another one, why should we bother with insurance if we cannot get a like for like replacement.

Hope you get it sorted matey and just keep on at them till you get what is rightfully yours.

Who are you insured with and did you have an insured value?