The mkiv Supra Owners Club

i need a little help please :D

turton89

Oh and try all the above with a postcode of a known good/better area than your own. (i'm not making any implication that you live in or near a sh*t hole :D just that if you do it will massively effect the premium)

Whats the point of that? Are you seriously suggesting him saying he lives somewhere else when he insures his car?

Its just to see how it effects his insurance, who knows where he will be living in 3yrs.............just thinking maybe his current area is pushing the quotes up massively compared to some of the others youngsters quotes on here.........might stop him feeling so bad about his, so far, ridiculous (even at an older false age) quotes.

i would feel like the class reject pulling up in my car when everyone else at the meet was in the greatest car ever built ( in my opinion xD) i dont even think i would keep up xD

You'd be surprised! :) I've turned up to supra meets in a bog-standard 1.25 Fiesta, and I'm by no means the only one. Obviously it's nice for people to bring their supras if they have one, but quite often, especially in the winter meets, a few people will bring their "daily driver" instead.

I bought my supra (I've only owned one) when I was 28 or 29 I think. I really wouldn't blow your life savings on insurance though, it's a real waste of money. Keep saving, rack up a few years' NCB, and then look around to buy one.

i got my first n/a supra at 20 cost me £2600 3ed party just be for i wrote it off aged 22 with 4 years ncb it was cost me £500 3ed party and would have been £800 fully comp hope this makes you think! as much as i loved been a 20 yr old in a big kool car the insurence was no were near worth it id wait mate build ya way up slowly to the great "supra" lol hope this helps

I got my first car, my first supra, 11 days ago. I love it.

I'm 25 and insurance does come down a lot compared to when I checked a couple of years ago.

Insurance? Phone around... but it's not going to be cheap, that's for sure. I went to uni and couldn't afford the insurance there, so just kept saving. Sometimes I wished I had a car, but it's so sweet having one now.

I'm with Adrian Flux. They managed to get a cheaper quote if I said I had an aftermarket bodykit - as they could go with a different insurer interally. You HAVE to phone them.

Also, whack your mum on the insurance if you can. Mine's not a daily drive (I cycle),

Either way, it is a fantastic car. Where are you based? Try to get to a meet or something - it's a great crowd here.

ok well I'm just getting quotes for when I get my supra soon :D

and check this, with admiral, if I get a 1993-1996 (imp) auto turbo hatchback RZ, my quote is over £4k!!!

if however I just have a 1993-1996 (imp) auto turbo hatchback my quote is £756.20

I don't know how much difference the RZ makes but that is a CRAZY difference. oh and an N/A costs me £10 less a year to insure so its all very confusing

Initial costs meant I went for an N/A first - that and the fact it's my first car (i.e. registered in my name).

OK, I'll say it simples:

Online quotes for me varied from £2000 to £4500

On the phone between £750 and £1500 - and it's a lot easier to haggle :) (

Edited by martini
Forgot to mention stuff (see edit history)

if you look at like that your right however now that i no how to drive its torture! especially when im on here reading about all you guys meeting up with each other, i want to be there too but im not exactly going to hop into someone else's supra that ive never met before lol

I don't go to alot of the local meets, but i'd be happy to take you for a spin in mine sometime (if you're fairly local to York)

secondly the N/A sounds to be the best car to start with at a young age ( from most the comments here )

Maybe, maybe not :). My advice always is, if you're fairly sure you're going to want more power in the near future, just get a TT in the first place, but if you do that, for God's sake drive it gently for a bit until you get used to how it behaves in different road conditions. You won't save much if anything in insurance by buying an NA over an imported TT.

and check this, with admiral, if I get a 1993-1996 (imp) auto turbo hatchback RZ, my quote is over £4k!!!

if however I just have a 1993-1996 (imp) auto turbo hatchback my quote is £756.20

I don't know how much difference the RZ makes but that is a CRAZY difference. oh and an N/A costs me £10 less a year to insure so its all very confusing

This is odd. Imported mk4 TTs either come in RZ or GZ flavour. The difference is the trim (and possibly toys): the mechanicals are exactly the same. IIRC the GZ has a higher trim level than the RZ. So, the £756 quote is either a GZ or an RZ anyway.

Sometimes insurers get mixed up between mkIII and mkIV supras. The dates you've said (1993-1996) certainly tally with mkIV, but for such a huge difference in premiums, I'd check the engine size they think each quote is for. A mkIV supra (NA or TT) will have an engine size of 2998cc (or was it 2997?). A mkIII will have one slightly lower (2995cc or maybe a bit lower still). If you have a prang and they've got you down as a weird mix of mkIII and mkIV, you'll be in a sticky situation.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)