The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not The Best of Days

Supra-Woman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesnt look like a blowout to me, looks like its gone flat and just driving on it has sliced through the side wall.

Blow outs are usually a sidewall failure in one area and the tyre just explodes so you get instant deflation which at even sensible speeds can be very hard to control.

Glad your okay

I would agree, looks like it's been run at too low a pressure and the sidewall has failed. These ultra low profile tyres can look inflated with just 10 PSI in them. They are also incredibly easy to damage the sidewall on, going over say a kerb or pothole.

budget tyres should be made illegal in my opinion, i had a set of nankangs that done exactly the same thing to me! i spun the car just missing a barrier!

Just shows how niave i am regards tyres as i was told these were middle of range, which for me i thought would be good enough since i dont do excessive driving. No wonder i got a shock when Kwik Fit quoted £500 when i was in Northampton yesterday.

Get some part worns off ebay to save some money for the time being or look for some new sensible budget tyres. Barums are apparently ok and i had a set of kumho ecsta supras on a lexus that were ok and they did not cost the earth.

Problem is 19" wheels cut down tyre choice and make things alot more expensive, i am still out as to whether getting 19s on the car was a good thing or a bad thing.

Nankang tyres are renound for being terrible, i think a couple of members on here have had some near misses with these.

Depending on which tyres you choose (unknown vs branded & proven) could mean life or death.

Please anyone reading this that have unknown brand cheap tyres please get rid of them as you may not be as lucky as this person...

Tyres are the most important thing on your car above all other mods etc, remember its ultimately the only thing keeping you on the road, surely getting descent tyres is the best and first thing you should do over and above everything else.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

This kind of thing??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/265-30-19-Tyres-X2-Partworn-Kumho-Ectsa-Supra_W0QQitemZ260417090875QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Tyres_RL?hash=item3ca211753b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I have also found out that the wheel is ok, but can not be refurbed because its tin?? They can polish it out and try best they can but at my own risk.

Ok well i have decided part worn isnt an option, thank you for sharing the possibility though, but i havent had any luck recently so i think my only option is new. I have emailed Carnoisseur (original wheel supplier) to see what deal they can do on a new wheel with a Falken tyre, i have taken a look round and see these are highly recommended. The wheel although can be refurbed Lepsons have stated that it wont look the same so i will keep this as a spare and get a new tyre for this when i can afford it.

They sound very similar to my wheels, finichi fidanzas. I would see if it is possible to get one directly off the manufacturers it will be cheaper than carnoissieur when i buckled one of mine i got a new one for 150ish including the postage.

Part worns are a good enough stop gap if you can find one the right size that hasn't been hanging around for a bazillion years

Ok well i have decided part worn isnt an option, thank you for sharing the possibility though, but i havent had any luck recently so i think my only option is new. I have emailed Carnoisseur (original wheel supplier) to see what deal they can do on a new wheel with a Falken tyre, i have taken a look round and see these are highly recommended. The wheel although can be refurbed Lepsons have stated that it wont look the same so i will keep this as a spare and get a new tyre for this when i can afford it.

Good tyres. :) I have them on my supra and fiesta 1.25.

yokos are better but will cost a fair bit more , the falkens are a good value tyre , kwik fit will just rip you off and massively overcharge you. if you are struggling for a tyre i can get you a falken for £140 if you can arrange a collection.

( not trading just trying to help out , £500 for a tyre is taking the p**s)

yokos are better but will cost a fair bit more , the falkens are a good value tyre , kwik fit will just rip you off and massively overcharge you. if you are struggling for a tyre i can get you a falken for £140 if you can arrange a collection.

( not trading just trying to help out , £500 for a tyre is taking the p**s)

it is indeed. i got a whole set of toyo Proxes T1-R's for less than that. And they are great.

A lesson to newbie’s to NEVER Skimp on tires.

It’s the only thing connecting your car to the road. I can never understand people who spend £££ on alloys or engine ‘bling’ and performance parts etc, yet ride on inferior quality rubber.

Not a personal dig at you S-W.

Least you and the little one are safe, that the main thing for now.

I saw you stuck on the M1 albeit a bit too late, i was in the outside lane

I got two punctures on route to silverstone :( if id have had the chance i would have stopped, i had tools and a trolley jack on board

Not a personal dig at you S-W.

Least you and the little one are safe, that the main thing for now.

Lesson learnt for sure, i guess these things get taken for granted and it takes something like this to make it hit home how serious it could have been and how lucky we was, 2 minutes later and i would have been going 20mph more, scary thought.