The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT4088R failure no 2

jevansio

I run them at 14.7-15:1 off boost depending on the rpm and load

Reason they are hotter on the Solaris equipped car is also a part of the reason why they make more torque and spool up quicker as i set something slightly different which is used alot in the racing world and it works wonders with the 2jzgte. ;)

Your Egts are low as you only run of the wastegate rick not 1.6bar :D

I think i can guess what that might be:)

I only run 1.1 to 1.35 bar via a separate boost controller.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have uk twins and in 6th gear flat out then hit the speed limiter i see 900's and my sender is in cylinder 1 exhaust output, is this high, i use water and meth that come in at 0.8.

I think the std setup runs a bit higher EGTs from what i remember, simply due to the manifold, turbos and downpipe design, the whole lot is somewhat more restrictive than a single setup.

I have removed the turbo. Pics to follow.

I spun it when I removed the compressor and it still stuck, it wasn't catching on the compressor housing.

The oil everywhere is from me cranking the engine over with the oil feed removed to see if it was getting oil :D (I figured I couldn't do any more damage to it).

The turbine is catching on the central cartridge (not the housing) when I spun it with the housing removed.

I can't see how the housing can warp enough to cause that damage, there is nothing in the housing that goes anywhere near that part of the blade (unless I'm mistaken).

Also checkout my manifold. I'm assuming this is fooked? Can anyone confirm?

I guess I'm looking at new turbo & manifold now? (possibly full turbo kit)

attachment.php?attachmentid=92636&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92637&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92638&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92639&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92640&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92641&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92642&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92643&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92644&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92645&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92646&stc=1&d=1242472905

attachment.php?attachmentid=92647&stc=1&d=1242472905

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

I would say that the turbine damage is simply due to the divided gasket going, and the manifold distortion is also a result of that, is one of known causes of the turbine damage,

Is there any play in the shaft of the turbo? the exhaust turbine will catch on the plate when removed from the housing as its a loose fit until bolted up.

What manifold is it Jay?

Sound Performance Rob.

I would say that the turbine damage is simply due to the divided gasket going, and the manifold distortion is also a result of that, is one of known causes of the turbine damage,

Is there any play in the shaft of the turbo? the exhaust turbine will catch on the plate when removed from the housing as its a loose fit until bolted up.

There is a tiny amount of play in the turbine shaft

I guess the manifold could be saved by carefully grinding out the divider, i presume the turbo housing is divided? so if you have the turbo repaired i think it would be wise to change it.

Just out of interest where the other two also divided?

Be interesting to know how many of the others that failed where also divided housings?

I guess the manifold could be saved by carefully grinding out the divider, i presume the turbo housing is divided? so if you have the turbo repaired i think it would be wise to change it.

Just out of interest where the other two also divided?

Be interesting to know how many of the others that failed where also divided housings?

The turbo isn't divided Ricky, the other one wasn't either.

Considering this is the 1st time I've attempted anything like this I don't think I've done too bad :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=92648&stc=1&d=1242482440

attachment.php?attachmentid=92649&stc=1&d=1242482440

attachment.php?attachmentid=92650&stc=1&d=1242482440

attachment.php?attachmentid=92651&stc=1&d=1242482440

attachment.php?attachmentid=92652&stc=1&d=1242482440

Just need to decide on the way forward now. New tubular manifold/new cast manifold/repair this manifold, GT35R, GT4088R, T67DBB.

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

The turbo isn't divided Ricky, the other one wasn't either.

Where you using a gasket? even if you weren't i still think the divider becoming overheated and melting could have been the reason for the blades looking like that, i never use a gasket, just paste, as i know from experience just how easily turbo gaskets can fail.

Well I've decided on the new setup. Just like to thank the guys who's ears I bent on the phone/pms asking advice :thumbs:

Since I've taken this apart myself I need to put it back myself, I decided against the Whiffin manifold in case it moved the turbo & I couldn't get my downpipe on :). The same reason was why I decided against a cast manifold.

So I've decided to get a genuine HKS GT manifold (which is basically what my current SP manifold is copied from) so fitment should be exactly the same.

Turbo wise I've gone with the popular T67, but I've gone with a one of the new range of Precision T67DBB's with the billet wheel (new compressor design). Should be able to see the same power my GT40 was putting out with a lot less stress :)

I haven't given the final go ahead yet, so if anyone has any "Noooooooo don't do that because" comments I'd like to hear them sonner rather than later :D