The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT4088R failure no 2

jevansio

Jay, sorry to bump this thread, but I have a few questions.

I'm presuming the new HKS manifold is divided? How come you've gone with an un-divided exhaust housing? Also after reading Jamie's/Lee's report about the turbo not fitting his manifold have you any concerns regarding the fitment of your new billet turbo (I appreciate you don't have it yet)?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kev bud :), yes the manifold is divided, I had no option on the exhaust housing, undivided is the only option, it's supposed to be "OK" to run an undivided housing on a divided manifold although not ideal.

After Whiffins comments (and looking at the HKS manifold design as opposed to the old SP manifold) I'm quietly confident the turbo will go on no issues, if it don't you guys will be the 1st to know :), thinking about changing like bud?

I think you are right Jay, i reckon the turbo may go on the HKS manifold with no issues.

Was looking at the twin wastegated full race manifold on the mvp website last night:cool: very tempted, if i have any trouble with my modded one i will be going that way.

Thanks for the reply Jay. I have a SP manifold and like your old one it's divided. My gasket has been eroded away and I'm just trying to work out what might have caused it.

Is there much difference in the design of your manifold over Jamie's (not sure which that is)?

I'm thinking about the new billet turbo's but ideally I'd like to make sure they last before fitting one. I ned to do more research if I do go down that road as I'm not that clued up on all the differences between the 6262 and 6265 :)

I think you are right Jay, i reckon the turbo may go on the HKS manifold with no issues.

Was looking at the twin wastegated full race manifold on the mvp website last night:cool: very tempted, if i have any trouble with my modded one i will be going that way.

I hope so, if you check the pics I took when I compared the HKS to my Sp manifold you can see how far down the HKS runners sweep, well out the way of the compressor housing.

2 screamers? !!!! that'll sound mighty fine :D :D

Thanks for the reply Jay. I have a SP manifold and like your old one it's divided. My gasket has been eroded away and I'm just trying to work out what might have caused it.

Is there much difference in the design of your manifold over Jamie's (not sure which that is)?

I'm thinking about the new billet turbo's but ideally I'd like to make sure they last before fitting one. I ned to do more research if I do go down that road as I'm not that clued up on all the differences between the 6262 and 6265 :)

Kev, do a search for HKS manifold in Techincal, I posted detailed pics of the SP vs

HKS setup, will put a link in this post after I've typed it up.

Edit here it is : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=188037&highlight=manifold

That's not a bad idea on the billets, although they're just a T67 you may be wise to see how the 1st few pan out before comitting. The 6262 vs 6265 was just a slightly rather turbine inducer/exducer I think (can't remember which), prolly equates to maybe an extra 20hp extra with slighly extra lag. It's the 6765 which is the next big jump up (basically a T67)

Edit this pic clearly shows the massive clearance the HKS manifold can give on runners 1 & 2

attachment.php?attachmentid=93655&stc=1&d=1244279204

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Ahh I remember that thread now. There's nothing wrong with my SP yet, but gettting paranoid now :D

What sort of price did you get the HKS manifold for Jay if you don't mind me asking? Also I wonder if I could be cheeky :D When the turbo arrives and presuming you still have the SP manifold, is there any chance of test fitting the billet turbo on the SP manifold please :)

Kev, it would be no problem at all to test fit it for you, I am sure Michel would be more than happy to test fit the manifold even if he had bolted a new turbo to it (he's kinda cool that way :D)

HKS manifold was around $1300 2nd hand but in perfect condition

I thought it looked 'dirty' inside the runners. That's a great price.

I can always run my manifold up and 'pop in' and see you if that's ok with you, once the turbo turns up.

I don't think its correct to say people who have Precision hosuings have no problems, I've bust 2 GT4088Rs and both have had Precision housings. I believe my probs are soley EGT related, and it's not possible for the hosuing to warp to the extent that would be required to cause that damage to the baldes

the 4088r ran stupidly hot with whatever ar turbine housing i put on it (I had 3 precision) and as soon as it lunched itself I swapped to a t67 and remarkably the temps came down 150 - 200 degrees.. 4088r is a naughty turbo, with irresponsible parents!

jay - getting the manifold off and on... I had to custom weld some 14mm spanners.. if you get stuck let me know and I'll drop them round!!

Mike