The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT4088R failure no 2

jevansio

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3" dp and HKS tubular mani. Wonder if your egt gauge is correct (or wether mine is!)

Thing is I see 800 deg temps when cruising (when I've searched I found a couple of others with similar), it's just when I sustain high gear runs it starts climbing over 900.

have you tried and tightened the cold side compressor housing , the vibration on the engine may have vibrated the screws loose slightly.

i would stick with the 67dbb setup as you are getting to old and your little heart cant manage the pressure anymore....:D

I will check that tonight Michel.

I am going to bud, it's enough power for me, lag is perfect, power band is great, for me the GT4088R is the perfect turbo.

I'm going to contact AET today as per Mike B to see about getting mine rebuilt, maybe they can also identify the failure cause, or even rebuild it to a standard better than it currently is. I'm also going to put on the 4" DP/MP and increase the WI jet size, I will get my EGT's lower :D.

I also think it's better to find the cause of my EGTs before splashing out ££££ on new turbos & manifolds as the same may happen to them, if I can have a quick fix solution (ie rebuild) I can start to identify what is wrong.

Gutted mate:(

But on a plus side, I have a neat turbo bypass system for a quick fix:

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50327532/Aluminum_Alloy_Pipe.jpg

and it comes with my own hello kitty exhaust system :D

http://www.popgadget.net/images/hello%20kitty%20exhuast%20pipe%20(2).bmp

sorry:(

On a serious note.............I say t67:cool:

:p :p :p :p

I think it'll be another GT4088R or T67DBB, they are probably the 2 turbos suited closest to my needs.

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Just spoken with Andy at AET, I'm sending the turbo there so they can identify what killed the turbo (hopefully the housing, but if it were an oil feed issue I'd rather know before putting a new turbo on).

Then depending on the damage they can rebuild it. If not it's circa £1400 for a new one I'm afraid :(

Thing is I see 800 deg temps when cruising (when I've searched I found a couple of others with similar), it's just when I sustain high gear runs it starts climbing over 900.

I also think it's better to find the cause of my EGTs before splashing out ££££ on new turbos & manifolds as the same may happen to them, if I can have a quick fix solution (ie rebuild) I can start to identify what is wrong.

I hate to say it but I saw really high egt's on my 4088R, sounds similar to you...when I changed to T67 they dropped 150 degrees with the right housing, no other chages were made aside a turbo swap.

The 4088R is a different core to the T67.. I think the T67 has less blades to my knowledge.

I know you like it, but I swear there is something fishy with that tubby.

Yeah I'm a sucker for this turbo :D

I think my current plan is to get turbo inspected by AET to find cause of failure. If it can be rebuilt do that and refit. If not get another GT4088R or equivalent & refit. Either way fit 4" DP/MP and larger WI jet. Remap by Ryan and keep EGT's under 900c.

Sorry to hear this Jay, bet that t51r would come in useful right about now :)

Im just glad a did not choose the 4088r for my build as it was one of the options on the table and the couple of previous failures on the forum was what put me off.

i wish this post never started my gt4088 build will be finished soon :(

im going to run a blanket to keep bay temps down

A blanket is possibly the worst thing you could do to this particular turbo.The extra heat being kept inside the exhaust housing by the blanket will make the housing even more prone to warping or the destruction of the blades due to excessive heat.

800 deg on cruse:scared: now thats what i call high, the most i see on cruse is 500c i would be inclined to say something is not quite right, anyway hope you find a suitable solution:)

Mine is in the 800's on cruise on the motorway, i think Ryan keeps em lean on cruise for fuel economy? soon as i touch the loud peddle and it gets some fuel the egt's fly down.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

b'have - charlie? i bought the polished stuff from you ages ago?

considering you track yours and use a blanket its safe to? the garage did say it would be a good idea for me to.

is both your supras gt4088? dont suppose you have one for sale, your garage was like a sweet shop!

b'have - charlie? i bought the polished stuff from you ages ago?

considering you track yours and use a blanket its safe to? the garage did say it would be a good idea for me to.

is both your supras gt4088? dont suppose you have one for sale, your garage was like a sweet shop!

Hi Lee, yes tis I :) No problems as yet (probably regret that statement next time out!)

Sold the auto, that was a T61. (now Stonkins)

As i have said many times Jay. Move the EGT sensor to one of the exhaust runners. Measuring the EGT in the turbine housing will always be 50C+ hotter as its the first restriction in the exhaust system and this restriction causes a massive hot spot. Hence why the turbine housing is Cast.

Turbos are designed this way as its the heat energy which essential drives the turbine.

Ryan

Just one further question to all of you with a GT4088, do you use a turbo blanket?

I don't, I used to until my 1st turbo died, I removed it after that

Sorry to hear this Jay, bet that t51r would come in useful right about now :)

Im just glad a did not choose the 4088r for my build as it was one of the options on the table and the couple of previous failures on the forum was what put me off.

Fancy making a donation Mike :D,

As i have said many times Jay. Move the EGT sensor to one of the exhaust runners. Measuring the EGT in the turbine housing will always be 50C+ hotter as its the first restriction in the exhaust system and this restriction causes a massive hot spot. Hence why the turbine housing is Cast.

Turbos are designed this way as its the heat energy which essential drives the turbine.

Ryan

You certainly have bud, I've just not got round to it, maybe now the turbine is off it may be worth doing

EGT's are no higher than 900 upto to 4th, 925 in 5th and 950 in 6th (although the amount of times you can hold it in 6th is negligible), sensor is in the turbine housing so those are the temps the turbine is seeing

Those temperatures sound high to me. (Oops a bit late with the comment.)

Just read your EGT probe is in the Turbo housing. As Ryan said put it in a runner, number 6 is good.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

Those temperatures sound high to me. (Oops a bit late with the comment.)

Just read your EGT probe is in the Turbo housing. As Ryan said put it in a runner, number 6 is good.

I've nearly got the turbo off Phil, I think I will take you guys advice & move it onto the manifold, runner 6 you say, 1" from the flange?

A blanket is possibly the worst thing you could do to this particular turbo.The extra heat being kept inside the exhaust housing by the blanket will make the housing even more prone to warping or the destruction of the blades due to excessive heat.

That was the reason for my question, and i agree with your statement.

Mine is in the 800's on cruise on the motorway, i think Ryan keeps em lean on cruise for fuel economy? soon as i touch the loud peddle and it gets some fuel the egt's fly down.

Mine runs at stoic on cruse, and i still only see 500c, how lean does Ryan run them?

Ryan

Given that the housing can be 50c hotter, mine must be pretty cool then, as my sensor is there, good for a GT4088 but not for efficiency.

That was the reason for my question, and i agree with your statement.

Mine runs at stoic on cruse, and i still only see 500c, how lean does Ryan run them?

Given that the housing can be 50c hotter, mine must be pretty cool then, as my sensor is there, good for a GT4088 but not for efficiency.

I run them at 14.7-15:1 off boost depending on the rpm and load

Reason they are hotter on the Solaris equipped car is also a part of the reason why they make more torque and spool up quicker as i set something slightly different which is used alot in the racing world and it works wonders with the 2jzgte. ;)

Your Egts are low as you only run of the wastegate rick not 1.6bar :D