The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please don't laugh at me but....

Si_s Supe

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant go sideways in an NA !!!

haha, everyone knows my N/A auto supra for sideways round corners and drifting round abouts...... round and round and round lol

my n/a keeps up with my m8s older celica gt4 and mine is more fun, not the best supra but still steals most attention as supras do :)

end of year tho i'm goin for twin turbo,

ps, thats the reason tires have lasted less than 2 weeks :(

you cant go sideways in an NA !!!

I've had one or two sideways brown trouser moments in my NA, when I was deliberately giving it some beans.

I disagree with those who say "if you need to ask about MPG, you can't afford to run a supra." Running costs are an issue to almost everyone: I would say that the number of people in this club who genuinely would not be affected at all by a large hike in fuel costs can be counted on one hand, if there are any at all.

Asking about MPG is very different from saying "I need a car that returns 40mpg around town: will it?". Well done to the OP for taking the time to look into it before buying. :)

Just in comparision, I have a BPU TT 6 speed and if I drive REASONABLY sensibly (ie, not overtaking EVERY car I see but still annoying a few people and generally "making progress" in a fairly exciting manner) I generally average 20-22mpg. That will be a good mix of town, a roads and motorways.

If I do mostly traffic jam/town traffic it generally sinks to 18-20. If I do a long motorway trip and stick to (cough) nearly 70mph I can treat myself to nearly 25mpg!! If I go down to see my parents on a hot sunny day down all the roads I know and love, I have dropped my average to around 14mpg. Fun though.

So all in all, if I don't drive like a tw@t but still enjoy myself I'm upset if I don't see 20+mpg

If you need to ask about fuel usage on a daily 15 mile commute to work is this really the car to buy?

I'm not saying I want to buy a Supra JUST to drive to and from work!!!! I'm saying I've always loved them and always promised myself 1, now I'm in the postion to buy 1 I just want to make a few comparisons to weigh up whats going to be best for me!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm also not saying I'm expecting to buy a Supra and get 60mpg...I simply just want to know what to expect!!

Any more constructive input about Supra ownership will be greatfully recieved! Particularly about the NA auto and manual.

This is a genuine bit of advice - If you are at all worried about the running costs of a supra and can't afford a second car, get a motorbike. Either do a direct access course to get straight onto a proper machine or just do a CBT and get a little moped for work purposes. They cost sod all to run, insure and tax.

I used to run a TT auto as my daily driver, when my wife got pregnant, I sold her (big mistake), I put on my sensible trousers and used the money from the supra to do my bike license and get an R6. I ran the R6 for a year to get to and from work and the money I saved was outrageous. It works out cheaper to run the bike and the supra, rather than just the supra on its own providing you use the bike to get to work, and just leave the supe for weekends and special outings.

The added bonus to all this is that bikes get you to work through traffic in no time at all, so you get more time at home in the mornings :D.

AND....they are awesome fun, providing you stay sensible.

EDIT - just to add, I'm now back in the supra gang having bought a manual BPU TT, I'm having a hard time leaving her at home though. I should have rode to work today on the bike, but the beast is parked in the underground car park at work as I type this. :D

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)

The Supra TT is not a viable daily driver these days. Sad, but true, unless you run 100% stock on low mileage.

Where in Hants are you from fella? I could meet up and have a chat with you about it all if you need to. If you want a Supra, nothing else is going to come close in that price range for sheer excitement but everyday usage is a different matter. Take it from an ex-single turbo daily driver owner. ;)

when i was getting a supra it was the cost of the car that determined an n/a for me i paid 8k 5years ago TTs were 12k upwards and out of my budget, the thing you have to look at is have you got the cash to keep a tt on the road as MR WILSON says

repairs are expensive not the fuel cost if you boot an N/A you gonna get poor fuel economy. i use my n/a daily ish for a 22mile round trip to work and it cost me 35 pound a week ive had mine 5 years and shes never let me down and only cost me sevice items :)

I'm not saying I want to buy a Supra JUST to drive to and from work!!!! I'm saying I've always loved them and always promised myself 1, now I'm in the postion to buy 1 I just want to make a few comparisons to weigh up whats going to be best for me!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm also not saying I'm expecting to buy a Supra and get 60mpg...I simply just want to know what to expect!!

Any more constructive input about Supra ownership will be greatfully recieved! Particularly about the NA auto and manual.

The n/a auto is a very good car, driving it very sensibly I can get low 30's to the gallon, driven hard it will return low 20's. Not to bad for a big heavy 3.0 litre car.

LOL, I understand that having a TT will offer the sweet temptation of flooring it everywhere! But, if I just potter it to and from work, will it be OKish on fuel??

So is the difference between NA and TT vast?? I'm working on the assumption that the NA will have to work harder than the TT to get up to speed and so will be less economical that you'd expect??

I wouldn't agree with that tbh. The n/a has a good amount of torque and accelerates quite nicely and will get to motorway speeds without having to thrash it, so its good for steady ecconomical driving.

The Supra TT is not a viable daily driver these days. Sad, but true, unless you run 100% stock on low mileage.

cobblers. I still use mine and im unemployed, and i use its most days to pop into town or whatever. I spent 6 hours in her today. And that wasnt on my driveway making "brrrrrrrrrrrm pstchhh brrrrrrrrrm" noises. :D

Though i have to admit whilst im unemployed i have substantial savings to fall back on and very little bills or other drains on my resources. Hum, guess im lucky :D

p.s i claim no benefits what so ever before anyone says anything :p

Why not? Seriously? Your mad mate. So many people screw the system over. You are one of the people thats paid into it for so long, why because you have used common sense and not squandered all your cash does that mean you should rely on the savings?

Get signed on mate, i certainly would. Even if it was to burn it in front of the junkies :D (not really, the burning that is)

After a bit of thought this evening I think I am leaning toward the NA. Manual or auto is the next question. I don't think I'm that fussed as long as its a nice 1! I must admit I have been longing for an auto for quite sometime. What better car than an auto Supra!! Never been in 1 but can imagine its a nice smooth ride from the silky Toyota straight six!

Excellent advice to all newcomers.

And I fail to see any mistakes.

Yes, wives are extremely expensive to run. P*ss poor mpg as well.

sipowell85, you've probably gathered that there are many opinions involved here. There's a good meet in Basingstoke every few weeks (search for "epic fail" or "epic success". Long story!) where you can chat to us face to face.

I used to run an NA manual as a daily driver, doing about 30 ish miles per day. The NA gave me 26 mpg on average (yes, I worked it out regularly), so you can work out what I used to spend on fuel per week.

An N/A auto will probably cheaper to run in so far as it will not need a clutch cahange and the auto box, if maintained with clean oil and not abused, will generally last longer than a 5 speed manual, which isn't the most durable `box in the world. The marginal MPG differences are irrelevant if the symchros are *uggered and the clutch is slipping. You'll probably buy a good used auto box for far less than a good used manual one, if the worst should happen. The auto is a lovely box, too, and suits the cars character, IMHO.

Try both though!!

As usual chris talking a lot of sense,however it's worth bearing in mind that any performance car can be costly in the maintenance department.I also visit the RX8 forum (as i thought about getting one before i got the supra)and it's not unheard of on there to have a replacement engine cost near 8k.If reliability and fuel costs are a concern try a honda s2000.:cool:

cobblers. I still use mine and im unemployed, and i use its most days to pop into town or whatever. I spent 6 hours in her today. And that wasnt on my driveway making "brrrrrrrrrrrm pstchhh brrrrrrrrrm" noises. :D

Though i have to admit whilst im unemployed i have substantial savings to fall back on and very little bills or other drains on my resources. Hum, guess im lucky :D

You are lucky, because a lot of owners with this sort of issue can't afford the tax, let alone the insurance. What I said was a generalisation, but not a completely far-fetched one. Show me someone who has bought a 6 speed Supra TT and spent less that 1k in a year on general up-keep alone.

You are lucky, because a lot of owners with this sort of issue can't afford the tax, let alone the insurance. What I said was a generalisation, but not a completely far-fetched one. Show me someone who has bought a 6 speed Supra TT and spent less that 1k in a year on general up-keep alone.

As in servicing and perished items? My first year was just a service. 2nd year was turbo's and a service but still didn't cost 1k.