The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much more is a manual worth than an auto?

Steviekid

Auto's are easier but not faster. There are guys with BPU 6spd's that have faster times than TDR, its all about how good they are on the drag strip. I've never even been to a 1/4 mile day in my car so i would be hopeless unless i was in an auto.

IMO auto is not better, just easier for the 1/4 mile.

It is if you have only one leg:p

Cheers for all the replies guys. I had the figure of around £2k in my head from a while ago but wasn't sure with the general plummeting of prices if it was still about the same. It'll probably be two or three months before I finally get an MRI so will decide after I get the results/prognosis from that.

i might be interested in a deal on mine mate? if you want some pics and spec PM me with your email. cheers joe

Cheers for the offer but like I say, it'll be a while before I admit I really do need an auto. I'd want a black TT auto pretty much the same as mine if it comes to it too.

The cars are of an age where condition and the quality of any modifications is af far greater importance to value then whether it's a manual or an auto. A mint unmessed with auto will fetch far more than a buggered about with manual, and vice versa. Autos have often had a more sedentary life, so I see far more nice autos than manuals. It's an awful box in the 6 speed manuals, anyway ;)

The cars are of an age where condition and the quality of any modifications is af far greater importance to value then whether it's a manual or an auto. A mint unmessed with auto will fetch far more than a buggered about with manual, and vice versa. Autos have often had a more sedentary life, so I see far more nice autos than manuals. It's an awful box in the 6 speed manuals, anyway ;)

Pffft what do you know :p

• 4 months later...
Auto's are easier but not faster. There are guys with BPU 6spd's that have faster times than TDR, its all about how good they are on the drag strip. I've never even been to a 1/4 mile day in my car so i would be hopeless unless i was in an auto.

IMO auto is not better, just easier for the 1/4 mile.

Just spotted this - my spidey sense told me I'd missed a thread with people talking about me :D

In response to the text highlighted in red above, no there are not. ;) :p :D

To those who claim drag racing an auto is easy - put your money where your mouth is and prove it by beating my time. Or alternatively, shut the f*ck up! :eyebrows:

Cheers,

Brian.

Couldn't agree more and those 6-speeds are bloody horrible boxes!!

Just spotted this - my spidey sense told me I'd missed a thread with people talking about me :D

To those who claim drag racing an auto is easy - put your money where your mouth is and prove it by beating my time. Or alternatively, shut the f*ck up! :eyebrows:

Cheers,

Brian.

Quality:)

Cheers,

Brian.

So there are no yanks that have beaten your auto time in a 6 SPD? I can't search in work but i would be surprised if there wasn't.

As for 1/4 mile give me a shot of yours then ;)

So there are no yanks that have beaten your auto time in a 6 SPD? I can't search in work but i would be surprised if there wasn't.

As for 1/4 mile give me a shot of yours then ;)

No idea what on earth the yanks can do in a BPU manual on their downhill dragstrips and don't particularly care ;)

Don't go changing the goalposts now Mr., this is a UK forum and the times contained herein are for UK drag venues.... none of this apples vs. oranges rubbish!

Only drivers with balls of steel and unquestionable natural... 'talent' get to pilot my rocketship. Think you're up to the task?!? :eyebrows:

No idea what on earth the yanks can do in a BPU manual on their downhill dragstrips and don't particularly care ;)

Don't go changing the goalposts now Mr., this is a UK forum and the times contained herein are for UK drag venues.... none of this apples vs. oranges rubbish!

In fairness i didn't change the goal posts, i just stated that your time had been beat in a manual. I just remembered that it wasn't a car in the USA that i was referring to, it was this guy but i don't know if he beat your time or not, i think he just matched your previous best.

Only drivers with balls of steel and unquestionable natural... 'talent' get to pilot my rocketship. Think you're up to the task?!? :eyebrows:

Sounds a bit like the wife to be honest but i think i would manage. You just floor it and hold on afterall :innocent:

In fairness i didn't change the goal posts, i just stated that your time had been beat in a manual. I just remembered that it wasn't a car in the USA that i was referring to, it was this guy but i don't know if he beat your time or not, i think he just matched your previous best.

1. He's slower

2. It's a non UK strip

3. He didn't run road legal - his times were on wrinkle wall drag slicks

You just floor it and hold on afterall :innocent:

Partly true, I only hold on with one hand - I'm usually picking an appropriate Meatloaf track for the run with the other :eyebrows: :D

Why the fook did you let me drive it then? :D

Still managed to make a mess of the run!

I know you owned a big single'd Supra and drove it like a hooligan :D so had some confidence in your ability to handle a feisty number!! :)

Holy **** tDR's bpu Supra goes from 0-60 in 3sec! That's insane my auto bpu+ eu-spec feels slow! Does a updated bl box + higher stall improve alot?

Yeah, on a full bore launch with decent grip levels it's pretty savage. 2.95 seconds was my 0-60mph calculated from that Pod run. The hi stall means you effectively shortcut to the meat of the powerband with both turbos on song asap, this is the tricky part in getting the launch just right to take advantage of it.

On the road, it really depends on the surface and weather conditions - in the wet the TRD diff keeps me on my toes somewhat but any Supra driven in anger with poor weather conditions is somewhat of a handful.

Yeah, on a full bore launch with decent grip levels it's pretty savage. 2.95 seconds was my 0-60mph calculated from that Pod run. The hi stall means you effectively shortcut to the meat of the powerband with both turbos on song asap, this is the tricky part in getting the launch just right to take advantage of it.

On the road, it really depends on the surface and weather conditions - in the wet the TRD diff keeps me on my toes somewhat but any Supra driven in anger with poor weather conditions is somewhat of a handful.

wow! I think mine is pretty slow 0-60, I better look into getting a upgrated auto box and a high stall