The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fancy some bonnet gas struts???

Kranz

The brackets come with a "ball" on each one. The struts came with a ball at both end. How did you actually mount the strut to the bracket:

1. Did you remove the ball from the bracket?

2. Did you remove the ball joint from the "cup" on the strut and click the "cup" over the bracket's ball?

Make sense?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The brackets come with a "ball" on each one. The struts came with a ball at both end. How did you actually mount the strut to the bracket:

1. Did you remove the ball from the bracket?

2. Did you remove the ball joint from the "cup" on the strut and click the "cup" over the bracket's ball?

Make sense?

no, the ball is part of the bracket, and yes to question 2 :D

no, the ball is part of the bracket, and yes to question 2 :D

Si,

How do you get the male ball out of the socket? Lever it? Pull it striaght? Drill it?

I have something very similar in front of me and it seems to have a little C clip inside the joint holding everything together....

Cheers

Dan

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Si,

How do you get the male ball out of the socket? Lever it? Pull it striaght? Drill it?

I have something very similar in front of me and it seems to have a little C clip inside the joint holding everything together....

Cheers

Dan

theres a small clip, unclip it, and the bit of force the ball pops out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Si - I didn't want to force it so thought I'd check. I've got three more questions for you.... :)

1) Did you have to remove the anti decapitation catches to get these to work?

2) Does the bracket on the bonnet hinge sit with the "ball" pointing out or in to the centre of the car?

3) Are you picking up on the upper hinge bolt with the top hole of the bracket (leaving the second bracket hole inbetween the two bonnet fixing bolts? (Hope that one makes sense)

I ask because for some reason I can't see the pics you posted up.....

Cheers

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Si - I didn't want to force it so thought I'd check. I've got three more questions for you.... :)

1) Did you have to remove the anti decapitation catches to get these to work?

2) Does the bracket on the bonnet hinge sit with the "ball" pointing out or in to the centre of the car?

3) Are you picking up on the upper hinge bolt with the top hole of the bracket (leaving the second bracket hole inbetween the two bonnet fixing bolts? (Hope that one makes sense)

I ask because for some reason I can't see the pics you posted up.....

Cheers

Dan

oops, missed this one...

1. Nope, catches are still in place
  2. Ball faces out
  3. bit of an odd one this, using the upper hinge bolt, but the bracket is using the lower hole, so that the other bracket hole is extended forward of the hinge

Si, did the variable pressure ones have identical fittings to the adjustable ones?

I forget why you went with the variable ones, especially when they have the risk of being turned into paperweights if a numpty like me lets out too much pressure ;) I'll go back and read.

Si, did the variable pressure ones have identical fittings to the adjustable ones?

I forget why you went with the variable ones, especially when they have the risk of being turned into paperweights if a numpty like me lets out too much pressure ;) I'll go back and read.

yup, all the end screw off, so all the ends can be the same ;) Went for variable ones as I think the other ones are to high pressure for carbon bonnets.