The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cant help but want more power!

JamieP

Thing is you may loose some of the drivability in the search for power, I hated the way my T88 Skyline spooled up, I know there are better turbos out there but the response will be lost to some degree, I know you have had T88, lots of power but you need to raise the rev limit to get all the potential, as with a T51 and on a stock engine with stock cams it would be a risk and strangled IMO :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry mate I didnt explain that well :D

I mean how much over your current turbo, for example 50bhp more at 5k and between which rpm's it'll hit the 700bhp figure etc.

I only ask as soom of the dyno printouts I've seen with larger turbos seem to have a peak bhp that's quite short lived so a larger turbo maybe be down across the rest of the rev range to your current turbo but may have 100bhp more between say 6500-7000rpm so it might not be worth changing over :search:

TBH i dont really know, you cant compare our dyno graphs to that of the usa, it could be an expensive learning curve, im talking myself out of it now:D

I knew you'd grow out of that quickly.

You wont hear me fault the HKS T04Z kit.

Only your granny would race from 3K rpm, built it to rev to 8K and use a 256/264 mix with verniers.

Mine will be totally rebuilt and finished in about 6 weeks time if you want to try out my spec your welcome.

Carillo H Rods with sp carr bolts

CP pistons 8.5:1 86.5mm

PHR billet main caps

ARP mains and L19 head

ACL bearings

Cylinder Head Race Ported & Polished

Ferrea valves 1 mm over sized

Crower Uprated springs

Crower Titanium retainers

HKS 256 inlet Cam

HKS 264 exhaust cam

Titan Cam Pulleys

OEM Head Gasket

Billet Timing belt idle wheel bracket

Boostlogic Crank Pulley

New OEM crankshaft

HKS T04Z kit

850 cc inj

PHR rail.

will drive nice off boost and very nice on boost lol.

pretty happy with my setup but would still like some more power, thinking of maybe buying a turbo that will bolt directly inplace of my t67 so in a couple of hours and a flick of a switch to swap maps i could have more power, and swap back whenever i want, thinking along the lines of a t71gts dbb with the billet wheel or a gt4294r. 700bhp would be nice. Any other direct replacement turbos you can suggest?

Or shall i just go cams first?:search:

nutter

:)

Plus having been in prob over 100 Supras now with different setups im telling you for the uk roads and most Uk tracks your setup will be quicker than any of the 650bhp + cars.

Just need to look at the results of supra pod and the times difference between yours and whiffins car which has over 200+ more bhp

Ryan

Plus having been in prob over 100 Supras now with different setups im telling you for the uk roads and most Uk tracks your setup will be quicker than any of the 650bhp + cars.

Just need to look at the results of supra pod and the times difference between yours and whiffins car which has over 200+ more bhp

Ryan

Thats good enough for me.

From what ive read the T04z is basicly the same as the T67dbb though.

Even Boostlogic say they are the same so pretty pointless changing to one just to get an HKS badge on the compressor housing.

I can't really understand your logic here Jamie, you only want an extra 100bhp, but presumably do not want to risk your engine in the process. Unless you are raising the rev limit the power is only going to be notiable at the very high rev range, but you'd lose a huge amount of the driveability. It's only on a straight open A road you'd get any benefit.

Would it not be better to sort the fueling out and get a race fuel map for when you want to go all-out? If you can plan 2-3 hours to swap a turbo you can sure plan for 30 minutes to drain the tank, put some race fuel in and switch to the high boost map. At least that way there is no loss of spool, but you could potentially gain 100+ ib/ft on full boost.

Either way, I agree with Ryan, leave the bloody thing alone and enjoy it as one of the best road going supra's out there ;)

Jamie mate you already have a very quick stealth car be happy with what you got & keep the reliability there, going more power than that I reckon won't be long before things constantly going wrong you have already a quick reliable street car keep it that way & be happy well that's my 2p worth.

Nothing worse with things keep going wrong & loads more expense & car in garage getting repaired more than on the road.

Want more speed get another bike to get adrenaline rush now & then but then safety is not always as good on 2 wheels compared to 4 with a shell round it

Edited by lui (see edit history)

Just buy this, it's here in the UK, for sale at circa £150,000 If you do the maths you will probably be close to that price with all your buying, selling and modding and re-modding. If 900 BHP in something that weight with that much downforce doesn't frighten you then I can only suggest narcotics :)

http://www.vprace.com/carsales/lola310.htm

I agree with all the comments.

Don't ruin your Supra Jamie. Don't forget what you said when you first drove it after the mapping was finished (that it is so much more fun to have a quick spooling powerful car).

As Si said, reliability is another big problem. Everyone gets used to his power output at a certain point (I include myself too), but if it is only to use more power to go straight out (not talking about the lag), I think you're making your car slower instead of faster.

Plus considering the average road conditions in Europe (and specially in the UK), I personally think that too many power will have a some of the ponnies with their feet in the air ... so they'll be useless.

As CW said, get yourself a beast if you think you need that extra kick ... but keep you Supra as it is --- (almost) perfect as most of the guys here say ;)

Just buy this, it's here in the UK, for sale at circa £150,000 If you do the maths you will probably be close to that price with all your buying, selling and modding and re-modding. If 900 BHP in something that weight with that much downforce doesn't frighten you then I can only suggest narcotics :)

http://www.vprace.com/carsales/lola310.htm

Nice, i can get away with spending a few grand here and there without the wife noticing but i dont think id get away with £150,000:D

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I do see where you are coming from, I am running a t67dbb mapped by ryan at 577bhp and am starting to wonder what a bit more power might be like. I suppose the comments in this thread are valid but still would like to know what the 700's would be like.