So which supra should i buy

Guest Phil Howard

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FOUND THE caps lock.

So, in summary. I take a couple out for a test drive, and then buy the manual TT?

Oh, and there's not much between a JP spec'd TT and a UK one. Right?

Great. Thanks. I think I'll start looking for some JP spec TTs then. What's a good price for one of these at the moment?

The classifieds on here (or pistonheads) is a good guide for price.

To be honest, since you've said it's a 3rd car I'd be very surprised if you don't choose the TT. If mine was a second or third car, I'd have chosen a TT again - I can't really see why you wouldn't. I chose the NA because it's a daily car, including winter - and even a RWD NA is a pain half the time, so I certainly didn't want the unpredicability of turbos!

Oh, and there's not much between a JP spec'd TT and a UK one. Right?

Lol this old chesnut.. Do a search there was a big thread recently. At the end of the day there isnt much difference :)

For what you want i would be looking at a TT 6 speed.

But remember... You get what you pay for.

I have had an NA Auto, TT Auto and now have a TT 6Speed.

The Na auto is not a great car to drive fast but is fine if you just want the looks and to cruise on fast roads.

The Auto TT is a fantastic car which even though i love my 6speed i do miss the auto a lot.It allows you to drive the car to the max but lets you sit back and relax when you want to.

The 6speed is the ultimate supra when driving hard and is a lot of fun..........BUT i find it a real pain when in traffic or driving around town as the gearbox is well.......not smooth to say the least and mine has quite a heavy clutch compared to most cars i have driven.All is forgive when you are pushing it through the twisties though:D

I've never driven an N/A, but then I wouldn't want to either - I have a feeling it would be a big let-down. Basically, to my mind, it would be a car that looks like a sports car, but doesn't go like one. I'm with you on the automatic gearbox thing, too - proper drivers have proper gearboxes, not go-karts, you know?

So, for what it's worth, I would personaly go for a twin turbo manual (like I have...). Also, I'm not a big fan of the aero-top, but if that's your thing...

As for the Jap vs UK thing, I guess that's got quite a lot to do with what's available at the time and how much you're willing to search/have to spend. Either way, it should be a lot of fun!

Welcome, by the way.

Having never driven one I would imagine it's hard for you to say that. Get a good driver in a n/a and you in your tt on the twisty roads and you may well be proven wrong.

I could name a few "proper drivers" who use autos

Okay... Looks like a GT car but doesn't go like one. We're splitting hairs here! The point is, I imagine the N/As to be basically pretending to be something they're not.

0-60 in about 6.5 and 155 top end. Not many big, heavy non turbo cars match that using a 3.0

Dont know if you mentioned what your other two cars were Phil,maybe i missed it, but it could be the n/a will feel pretty quick depending what your used to.I was looking for a tt last year but got impatient and bought an n/a and i think it's great,but my family car is a Honda Accord :blink:so when i get in the n/a it feels like a rocket :D

However i'm an old git and content to burble about not like the young whippersnappers on here who want the extra grunt,so i guess whatever makes YOU happy is the right choice :D

Am I wrong, I have been led to beleive that,

Only if it Wasn't towing a tt with a blown turbo or any other problem they get, Unlike the na

Only problem i've had with my car with it's single turbo and "go-kart" gearbox was over-fuelling due to a faulty o2 sensor and the crank pulley failing at 105k.

Well Someone who can drive well, Handle the car at its limit, Making them a good driver. The n/a will still handle as well as the tt. Changing the rear diff makes it very affective car. Can't define it much clearer than that really.

Fair enough...

But put the same driver in a TT and he/she will undoubtedly be faster. Level the playing field and the more powerful (i.e. faster) car will come out on top.

Fair enough...

But put the same driver in a TT and he/she will undoubtedly be faster. Level the playing field and the more powerful (i.e. faster) car will come out on top.

Although I don't dispute that a TT is faster / makes more power than an NA, I don't know if this is necessarily true on a twisty road. There is a certain unpredictability to turbos - the turbo certainly would make ground on the straights, but it wouldn't be faster in the corners, and for some corners it might actually make it slower (you don't want a turbo cutting in at the wrong moment).

I think the road itself would be what determined whether a TT was faster than an NA with the same driver. In most cases - it probably would be - but with a road that's mostly made up of fairly tight bends with few or no straights - I doubt it would be.

I think the road itself would be what determined whether a TT was faster than an NA with the same driver. In most cases - it probably would be - but with a road that's mostly made up of fairly tight bends with few or no straights - I doubt it would be.

Maybe the said driver is perfectly capable with a slow ass NA but completely inept with a proper Supra :D

You talk as if the twins have a mind of their own........seems like you have experienced the granddad auto version ;)