The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So which supra should i buy

Guest Phil Howard

RS has never appealed to me - although I think I'm probably the only 911 owner in the world who can say that! I kind of like things like electric windows, proper glass in them, proper door handles etc. I even like my heated seats. :)

I do consider a turbo sometimes. A few years ago, I wanted a 993 turbo but it would have been a financial stretch. Now, if I wanted one I could have one - but the appeal has worn off. I even remember the day it happened - took the 964 out down my favourite local road, absolutely enjoyed every second of it and when I got home thought : Would I have enjoyed that even 1% more with a turbo? And concluded I wouldn't.

I do still lust after one when I watch Bad Boys - and I have considered changing the Supra recently, and a 996 turbo was on the list of possibles because, as you say - they are too cheap to ignore even though the styling doesn't grab me. Not sure I'd ever particularly want a Turbo S though - not sure I'd need the difference enough to pay the extra.

You would definately enjoy it more in a 993 Turbo imo, I've been in 3.0 sc, 3.2 Carrera, 993 Carrera s, 996 GT3 (Gen2) 996 Turbo, 997 Carrera s and 997 GT3 and the GT3 and Turbo were awesome, The GT3 is much rawer though and the 996 Turbo was almost too civilised.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would definately enjoy it more in a 993 Turbo imo, I've been in 3.0 sc, 3.2 Carrera, 993 Carrera s, 996 GT3 (Gen2) 996 Turbo, 997 Carrera s and 997 GT3 and the GT3 and Turbo were awesome, The GT3 is much rawer though and the 996 Turbo was almost too civilised.

996 GT3 seems to be the path that most 964 owners take when they trade up. Don't know why, but quite a few owners I know have gone that way.

However - civilised was actually one of the things that appealed to me. I'd be keeping the 964 which gives me the raw fix, and it would be the Supra that changed.

I response to the op, buy the best car within your budget, make sure you don't spend every penny you have on the car and work out how much it will cost to run and maintain the car.

It's amazing how many people buy a proper sports car and under estimate the running costs.

Even some thing like a entry level Impreza Turbo will sting you if you aren't used to it.

Edited by matt k (see edit history)

I know this has sort of changed to a Porsche 911 debate, but I've only just caught up...

I'm well aware of when the turbos cut in - I'm also aware that sometimes, that's as you are accelerating out of a bend, and that's not always a good thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't power out of the corners exactly what you want? Slow in, fast out, etc... I love the barely existant TT spool-up for fast back lane driving for exactly that reason - you can floor it out of the bends and the response is, for all intents and purposes, instant.

I reckon manual NA's and auto TT's deserve about the same level of respect really. ;)

Ha ha! Here here! The very worst combination has to be an auto N/A though. Why would you...?!

...make sure you don't spend every penny you have on the car and work out how much it will cost to run and maintain the car.

It's amazing how many people buy a proper sports car and under estimate the running costs.

I think the 21 mpg (give or take) of my BPU TT is ace! Credit crunch? Recession? Pah!