The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So which supra should i buy

Guest Phil Howard

Maybe the said driver is perfectly capable with a slow ass NA but completely inept with a proper Supra :D

You talk as if the twins have a mind of their own........seems like you have experienced the granddad auto version ;)

I can handly my 67mm on an auto, but then i'm probably a better driver than most.;)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the said driver is perfectly capable with a slow ass NA but completely inept with a proper Supra :D

You talk as if the twins have a mind of their own........seems like you have experienced the granddad auto version ;)

It was a manual in fact.

I'm well aware of when the turbos cut in - I'm also aware that sometimes, that's as you are accelerating out of a bend, and that's not always a good thing. Hence I think in some situations, an NA would be faster.

But to be honest, I'm not particularly bothered. I've grown too old to race other cars on public roads, and if I wanted a TT I'd buy one. They're hardly unaffordable.

If that is the case then it is the driver that makes the difference not the slow ass NA :D

True, I ahd an N/A and it looked and sounded the business, all this talk of blah blah, corners blah is rubbish, I have owned n/a, stock tt, full bpu and single and unfortunately the n/a just didn't cut it.

On a final note the BPU was an awesome daily drive car.

It was a manual in fact.

I'm well aware of when the turbos cut in - I'm also aware that sometimes, that's as you are accelerating out of a bend, and that's not always a good thing. Hence I think in some situations, an NA would be faster.

But to be honest, I'm not particularly bothered. I've grown too old to race other cars on public roads, and if I wanted a TT I'd buy one. They're hardly unaffordable.

Try running one.;)

So maybe YOU would be quicker with the slower car simply because you dont know how to drive a TT by your own admission. Other than that, there is simply zero logic in your argument.

I did - as I've previously stated I have owned one. And I've spent more running my 964 than I ever did on a TT. Bet it doesn't cost you £1500 to have a new clutch fitted!

As Rich stated i don't have a clutch, but how much is a full service for your car, how often do you have to have it done, how much are brakes and tyres nad how often again, what mpg do you get, add it all up, My car cost more to service and run than my mates 997.

As Rich stated i don't have a clutch, but how much is a full service for your car, how often do you have to have it done, how much are brakes and tyres nad how often again, what mpg do you get, add it all up, My car cost more to service and run than my mates 997.

A 997 is a lot cheaper to run than a 964.

An annual service for a 964 starts at £550 - and that's if it needs nothing other than a basic oil change and check over. And it always needs something. I can't imagine why my tyres would be any cheaper than yours? And trust me - Porsche parts (e.g. brakes) are considerably more expensive than Toyota.

Given that I have owned a TT - and hence do know the running costs - and I have owned my 964 for over 7 years - might it be reasonable to assume I know which costs more to run?

A 997 is a lot cheaper to run than a 964.

An annual service for a 964 starts at £550 - and that's if it needs nothing other than a basic oil change and check over. And it always needs something. I can't imagine why my tyres would be any cheaper than yours? And trust me - Porsche parts (e.g. brakes) are considerably more expensive than Toyota.

Given that I have owned a TT - and hence do know the running costs - and I have owned my 964 for over 7 years - might it be reasonable to assume I know which costs more to run?

Well give me a breakdown on prices so i can compare, The tyres and brakes thing was more how quickly the car demolishes them tbh.:)

Well give me a breakdown on prices so i can compare, The tyres and brakes thing was more how quickly the car demolishes them tbh.:)

Without going through my service records I really couldn't tell you how often I wear out tyres / brakes and I have no idea what the mpg is. It was costing about £75 for a tank, now I think it's back down to about £65, and it typically manages about 220 miles on that (short journeys) or probably another 100-150 on a motorway.

I don't really need to work out the frequency of these things to know the 964 is more than the TT. My last service - when I did need a clutch - cost me £3K.

Without going through my service records I really couldn't tell you how often I wear out tyres / brakes and I have no idea what the mpg is. It was costing about £75 for a tank, now I think it's back down to about £65, and it typically manages about 220 miles on that (short journeys) or probably another 100-150 on a motorway.

I don't really need to work out the frequency of these things to know the 964 is more than the TT. My last service - when I did need a clutch - cost me £3K.

Well your fuel consumption is considerably better than mine, I am more than aware of how much Porsches cost to run as most of mates are Porsche geeks. Imho one of the biggest reasons to Buy a 911 is decent running costs(when compared to other HP cars).

Well your fuel consumption is considerably better than mine, I am more than aware of how much Porsches cost to run as most of mates are Porsche geeks. Imho one of the biggest reasons to Buy a 911 is decent running costs(when compared to other HP cars).

If you say so, but it really depends what 911 you compare it to. As I say - I've owned TT and 964, and the 964 is more expensive to run. A 996 or a 997 would probably be cheaper - the parts are cheaper, because they are newer and more easily available, the servicing is much longer intervals and is significantly cheaper too.

In any event, it's not really relevant to my original point - which was that a TT is not expensive to buy and in my opinion, not prohibitively expensive to run either. For some of us, owning an NA is a choice, and isn't because we can't afford a "proper" Supra.

If you say so, but it really depends what 911 you compare it to. As I say - I've owned TT and 964, and the 964 is more expensive to run. A 996 or a 997 would probably be cheaper - the parts are cheaper, because they are newer and more easily available, the servicing is much longer intervals and is significantly cheaper too.

In any event, it's not really relevant to my original point - which was that a TT is not expensive to buy and in my opinion, not prohibitively expensive to run either. For some of us, owning an NA is a choice, and isn't because we can't afford a "proper" Supra.

Fair point, It just p***es me off when people say that TT's are cheap to run, as a well maintaned one isn't.

My choice would be the RS or the Turbo S, but both are a little too pricey considering how much a 996 Turbo is now.

RS has never appealed to me - although I think I'm probably the only 911 owner in the world who can say that! I kind of like things like electric windows, proper glass in them, proper door handles etc. I even like my heated seats. :)

I do consider a turbo sometimes. A few years ago, I wanted a 993 turbo but it would have been a financial stretch. Now, if I wanted one I could have one - but the appeal has worn off. I even remember the day it happened - took the 964 out down my favourite local road, absolutely enjoyed every second of it and when I got home thought : Would I have enjoyed that even 1% more with a turbo? And concluded I wouldn't.

I do still lust after one when I watch Bad Boys - and I have considered changing the Supra recently, and a 996 turbo was on the list of possibles because, as you say - they are too cheap to ignore even though the styling doesn't grab me. Not sure I'd ever particularly want a Turbo S though - not sure I'd need the difference enough to pay the extra.