The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra 97 - 01 Twin Turbo: Coming to UK!

DShox

PM? = Please Mail? ok thanks...

She means Private Message mate.

By the way - Good luck with the report. I too would be very interested in using it if you got it finished. I would prefer the 6 speed version, but its you putting the effort in................

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate the support guys.

Yes the 6 speed seems to be getting more attention but seen as people haven't been successful in the past on autos...gotta feeling the manual transmissions have got absolutely no chance (they were dropped for one year in 96 cos of emissions), especially in 2001/2002 where Vanessa earlier informs me that even stricter rules on emissions apply. The 1998 model has tiptronic gear shift on the steering wheel but there are still only 4 gears...but a nice feature nonetheless.

Yup I would be hiring out the Report at usual prices (dunno what 'usual' is just yet)...if I wanted to attempt to get my car through on its own, I'd do the Single Vehicle Report, which is a bit cheaper and carries a little less risk...but you still have to get the emissions and noise right. I'm pretty committed to making the Model Report a success and I've already had a pop at VOSA for what I dubbed ruining competition in the UK motor market!

In short - I'll see what flex there is (probably none) to have the auto made applicable to 6sp...but the report being investigated will be valid for Twin Turbos 97 - 00 (01 and 02 if possible) Auto - you could always convert your box to manual at maybe some where like Envy Performance or JP Motorsport?.

98 Jap Spec Twin Turbo VVTi RZ-S

Auto - you could always convert your box to manual at maybe some where like Envy Performance or JP Motorsport?.

Or buy a manual and convert it to an auto then convert it back! LOL.

I wonder if you could do this in a half assed (but safe) way so it was easy to convert back?

Edit: I must be on the crazy juice.

Are there no longer any loopholes that can be used to avoid the enhanced part of the ESVA test? Disabled was the main one before for cars like ours (one of those truck driver twirly knobs on the steering wheel was enough), as was camper van on the newest off roaders (bung a camping stove and some benches in the back for beds lol).

Cheers,

Brian.

p.s. I know all too well how frustrating ESVA can be!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with this... I definitely want to import another Supra... I've got a 98 VVTi manual at the moment and was hoping to import a newer model, or at least another 98 car...

Even called Model Reports Direct to see if they could use my car, as it's still standard engine wise. They said there was no chance of it passing emissions.

Let us know how you get on...

I was thinking about this.

My import says "Declared Built 1994" - I believe as it is an import you can't prove it's build date or something like that.

So what's stopping us from importing a newer car, declairing it was built earlier and getting an early reg, but avoiding SVA?

yep Model Reports have quoted some figures that suggest that alot of work would be needed to get the emissions into the arena. I would say that it will be out of the question to import 01 and 02 models as even stricter euro 3 emissions regs apply, so any Report would allow 97 - 00 only.

The business case needs to be looked at as one could literally spend thousands preparing the car in advance of the expensive lab tests.

Might just be a dream...

It's a complete giveaway - the 97 model was tweaked in terms of performance and looks. The vvti engine was introduced and so the engine cover is different, the rear light cluster has graphite backing, there's an extra pod/dial on the dash, and if you want official and legal documentation to accompany your car, then you state what age it was manufactured.

What about fitting an Apexi Power FC ECU (take apexi sticker off it) as this is plug and play so dead easy to fit and goes in the standard position in passenger footwell. Then go to a RR tuner and get them to map the Power FC for super low emissions at idle and any specified RPM points in the lab testing. These can be had for £400 from the likes of http://www.greenline.jp . They'd never know it had been done as the car would still appear totally standard. If necessary, also get a custom exhaust place to weld in an extra cat in the exhaust system - one from a recent turbo car that passes emissions such as an Impreza.. I know these are in line cats and could be welded into a straight section of pipe. This should gain you a model report with emissions figures low enough and once that's done then future imported 97-00 Supra's could pass by hiring your report and thus not getting tested on emissions, so wouldn't need the extra bits.

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks for this. The trouble is Model Reports have unsuccessfully tested with a UK exhaust (2 cats) and when you lower the power output of the car by ECU changes, the engine temperature drops - meaning the NOx output increases to unacceptable levels. Also, the Euro 3 tests mean that emissions are read 'the moment the car starts' - previously there was a 40 second allowance (?) to allow the cat to heat up before measurements are taken.

Basically, an ECU will need to be played with AND an experienced engineer will need to be present at the lab tweaking the output there and then...

Thanks for this. The trouble is Model Reports have unsuccessfully tested with a UK exhaust (2 cats) and when you lower the power output of the car by ECU changes, the engine temperature drops - meaning the NOx output increases to unacceptable levels. Also, the Euro 3 tests mean that emissions are read 'the moment the car starts' - previously there was a 40 second allowance (?) to allow the cat to heat up before measurements are taken.

Basically, an ECU will need to be played with AND an experienced engineer will need to be present at the lab tweaking the output there and then...

Most tuners with an RR will have a standard type emissions tester for MOT's surely so you'd just need acceptable figures for each part and get them to make changes that mean NOx output isn't too high?

It's a complete giveaway - the 97 model was tweaked in terms of performance and looks. The vvti engine was introduced and so the engine cover is different, the rear light cluster has graphite backing, there's an extra pod/dial on the dash, and if you want official and legal documentation to accompany your car, then you state what age it was manufactured.

The point is that you don't need and SVA for older than 10 years old?

Some admin person at the DVLA isn't going to have a clue. Have some reciepts showing you've bought facelift parts (lights etc) and get on the road as an older car?

Anyone been through the process of registering a 10 year old and can see any holes in the process? What do they look at to decide the year? Just the registration form you fill out?

When I did my kitcar they just wanted to see a receipt, chassis number and evidence of the donor vehicle for an age related plate.

Can you even go for a 'Q' plate (vehicle of unknown origin) ?

As far as I can see for older cars you fill in a V55/5 (http://www.woodfield5.demon.co.uk/progress/x228v555.htm) which relies on information you write.

Also:

Completed application form V55/4* (for new vehicles) or V55/5 (for used vehicles).

A £38 registration fee (if applicable).

The required fee for the licence.

current British certificate of insurance.

Foreign registration document and any other papers you have relating to the vehicle.

Evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier).

Evidence of type approval. (If less than 10 years old)

The appropriate Customs and Excise form.

A current British MOT test certificate (if applicable).

A Declaration of Newness (if applicable).

Documentation confirming your name and address (view acceptable documentation)

The big question is - Do they check Chassis numbers to manufacturing dates?

Just a thought, are the catalytic converters on new cars more efficient than older models? Just wondered if you could swap the cats, for 2 new ones off a different newer model that has low emissions(Volvo, Merc, BMW, etc.)

Anyone been through the process of registering a 10 year old and can see any holes in the process? What do they look at to decide the year? Just the registration form you fill out?

The Japanese de-registration document must be submitted showing the year of first registration.

Lots of good Ideas - but if you did de-tune the one car for the model report etc. everyone else who imported one after would have no chance of passing an MOT.

I guess most people would stand the cost of having the cats replaced with newer/modern efforts. any milage in this???

Lots of good Ideas - but if you did de-tune the one car for the model report etc. everyone else who imported one after would have no chance of passing an MOT.

I don't think that's true - MOT emissions are much easier to pass.

..and i guess that has the chassis number on then? :(

Yep :)

I was told by the (very ugly) woman at the DVLA office that the reason they don't issue you with registration details is that they do an interpol check on the car which takes up to a couple of days.

Yep :)

I was told by the (very ugly) woman at the DVLA office that the reason they don't issue you with registration details is that they do an interpol check on the car which takes up to a couple of days.

Oh Bum!

Back to Chris' idea then.. ;)

I like the sound of the new-cats idea.

Exactly what I meant by my comment about using the CAT from a new model turbocharged car that has passed UK emissions, such as the Subaru Impreza WRX. This combined with a mapped replacement ECU (Power FC) would surely do the trick and at minimal cost.