The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guess Steve L's car weight

Paul Whiffin

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... it was a compromise on the noise and the wallet!

we had a lot of noise issues between the 3 cars - Paul will confirm, as I think he's had 3 different ones trying to get noise levels down, and Ben's had additional baffling done on his, so as my trusty old 'dragger' hasn't failed yet I've stayed with it!

i see, my trusty old dragger just came off the car recently before it fell off :(, all the welds were failing and i patched it up three times before calling it a day, my Greddy titanium weighs about a third less but unfortunately is noisy as hell in comparison :(

i'll go with

1307.5 kg

... it was a compromise on the noise and the wallet!

we had a lot of noise issues between the 3 cars - Paul will confirm, as I think he's had 3 different ones trying to get noise levels down, and Ben's had additional baffling done on his, so as my trusty old 'dragger' hasn't failed yet I've stayed with it!

Plus changing the tubby to the GT4088R made it about 2dB louder, so it currently runs in at about 102dB and all the tracks we've competed/tested on are 105dB.

Its certainly done its time and still going strong. Its a right pain in the arse that we have to limit the noise on our cars the way we do on the track. Like Steve said I went from a Veilside Ti which was very loud, then I tried a Tanabe titanium which was a tad quieter but still way to loud. I then had a silenced midpipe made up with 2 boxes, that came in at about 108db. So I started a fresh with a custom made 4" system with 2 boxes, its now 106db, its going back in to make i quieter still! Trouble is you cant buy a quiet enough titanium exhaust off the shelf. What I'll probably do is buy a Greddy TiR and get another box or 2 put in. Expensive!

OK... As I'm crap with techy stuff like this but as i belong to a forum that is overflowing with almost genius like members (no, this one) :) I thought I would use your combined brains to win me a go :Pling:

I recon that if I combine your massed skills in selecting a weight then I'm sure to win.

So...

My guess is 1374 Kg.

This is (almost) the average of the 45 choices so far (excluding one who shall be nameless) :D

In fact the nearest weight was 1375, but this has already been chosen (twice) so I'm hoping that at the last minute they throw the fluffy dice out and same me a kg.

Out of interest (and just to prove how competitive and sad I am) I also chose the six most knowledgable people on here (IMO) and their combined guess was 1377, although saying that, their range was very large as well.

For you interest (and to help future competitors) the list so far is:

61859.5 divided by 45 = 1374.64

I'll give you a wave as I go by....:D

Its certainly done its time and still going strong. Its a right pain in the arse that we have to limit the noise on our cars the way we do on the track. Like Steve said I went from a Veilside Ti which was very loud, then I tried a Tanabe titanium which was a tad quieter but still way to loud. I then had a silenced midpipe made up with 2 boxes, that came in at about 108db. So I started a fresh with a custom made 4" system with 2 boxes, its now 106db, its going back in to make i quieter still! Trouble is you cant buy a quiet enough titanium exhaust off the shelf. What I'll probably do is buy a Greddy TiR and get another box or 2 put in. Expensive!

Paul i am going to put a 3" Borla silencer in mine soon as its driving me mad :blink:, if its still driving me mad i will then put another in the midpipe, i could measure before and after if your interested as we have the gear at work, i know its not a unobtitanium silencer but i chose it due to its relative lightweight