The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Supra UK or JDM?

trinitom

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth did you get that quote? M n/a was more than that its about the same as my UK now.

As for the smell, if you dont know i wont tell you:p

*goes to play with his headlight washers*

Full NCB, garaged, cat1 alarm, clean licences, 4500m PA and a second car.

I'll assume by your avatar it smells like a canoe factory.

thanks people!

i know the uk model is 340 hp aprox more 40hp that Jdm's and have bigger brakes! and more things...

For what i see in a few places the jdm have more torque and is more fast 0-60 than uk spec, now about the engine quality is the same or the jdm could be better?!

Shame that the uk model doesn’t have the vvt-I engine! It would be nice! This is why I’m thinking on the jdm !

:rolleyes:

thanks people!

i know the uk model is 340 hp aprox more 40hp that Jdm's and have bigger brakes! and more things...

For what i see in a few places the jdm have more torque and is more fast 0-60 than uk spec, now about the engine quality is the same or the jdm could be better?!

Shame that the uk model doesn’t have the vvt-I engine! It would be nice! This is why I’m thinking on the jdm !

:rolleyes:

The Hp figures you've quoted are not correct. Officially the UK spec cam with 326bhp, the JDM with 280bhp (can't remember the torque figures, but the JDM is higher). In reality, the BHP figure is much closer, several stock JDM cars have been dynoed at 300bhp or slightly above at a reliable dyno, so the real difference is around 20bhp at the top end. However this must be balanced with the power delivery, the UK is more laggy, but with a higher top end, the JDM has noticably less lag, but runs out of puff once rpm's get high.

The UK's do have some great advantages, the main ones being the larger brakes as standard and (for most of us below 40) a lower insurance premium.

UK specs are very rare, especially as a 6spd and command a premium.

If you want VVTi you'd be looking at a late spec JDM model which IMO are the best choice now that ECU's and knowledgable mappers are out there to make use of them.

From a tuning point of view it's very easy and cheap to get more power from the JDM, a little more expensive from the UK, but in theory has a higher reliability factor if it's been looked after.

i know the uk model has bigger brakes! and more things...

You do realise that some J spec cars came from the factory with big brakes ( uk spec brakes)?

The spec of a J spec car can vary significantly.

My J spec car came with: (I was very fortunate)

VVTI engine

6 speed gearbox

Big brakes (uk spec)

Toyota original side skirts and spats

Toyota reas suspension

Leather recaro's

Carbon fibre steering wheel

Yep the jap cars vary hugely.

My old NA was a 98 model so had all the nice facelift extras like the "leather" headliner, black carpets etc and a 5 speed (not a 6)

It also had the LSD and ABS.

But still had small brakes and stock suspention.

It seems to be very much a lucky dip! You wont get your ideal car if your picky. You will have to find one close then add the bits after if you desperately want them.

Well according to the following website, mine is the grade 5.

http://japanimport.co.uk/auctiongrade.htm

I've got the original form in my documentation too.

Phoenix said it was one of the best they'd seen when they inspected it. :)

that website does not say your car is grade 5 it says grade 5 is like new..

i doubt your car is a grade 5 it will be a 4 or 4.5 at most..

if its a grade 5 a bet any money you would of payed silly money and i dont think you did..

send me your auction sheet so i can check it on the system:sly:

am sure we had this discussion before and you came back and said it was 4 or was that someone else..

Mine says grade 4 but on the site says with few scratches and dents but mine has not got 1 scratch or dent on the body but the dash has couple of light scratches so has the gear stick. would that be why its a grade 4 ?

Oopsy :blush:

No, that wasn't my car, but it may as well have been! After giving that website, and my documentation a good looking over, it turns out its a grade 4!

The guy I bought it from assured me it was a grade 5, and he instructed the import company that he wanted as such. Maybe he didn't understand the documentation either! ;)

Phoenix did say it was a very good example though :sigh:

Well I still love it :)

Oopsy :blush:

No, that wasn't my car, but it may as well have been! After giving that website, and my documentation a good looking over, it turns out its a grade 4!

The guy I bought it from assured me it was a grade 5, and he instructed the import company that he wanted as such. Maybe he didn't understand the documentation either! ;)

Phoenix did say it was a very good example one though :sigh:

Well I still love it :)

your car does look mint mate:D here your car is 5 on window as its prob a 93 ??

http://www.horsefrog.com/japanese-translator-patent/mod/resource/view.php?id=110