Going Solaris (ECU)

SteveR

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question I have is - when you compare the two torque curves, neither the low-rpm graph nor the high-rpm graph line up. I would assume the motec was mapped to one of the two cams....so atleast one end of the graphs should pretty much line up.....or is that not how it works..?

I might be talking bollox (probably) but the other advantage the Solaris has over the Motec installation my car was running is that it can see the AFRs from the AEM wideband. The Motec wasn't closed loop (it could, for extra ££...) so honing the map just that smidge that can make all the difference seemed to be frustratingly elusive. As it also wasn't running knock control (again it could have, for additional ££ to release that functionality) I believe Ryan added a bit of a safety factor in too, just in case; now I should have the best of both worlds.

Good isn't it Jake :)
Isn't it just! I'm chuffed for you mate.

Seems like the best performing single Supra in the club now with this setup and the suspension setup you've had done.

Jamie's got me thinking though - here. I'm not one to chase numbers, but should the setup be giving more than it does?
Maybe. Who cares? Chasing numbers is a mug's game IMHO. Nobody who's opinion matters a jot would be like "only 570 hp then?" - it's just bragging rights, and with everything else you have: The handling, the new ecu/single setup, y2k 6sp, RSP ... It's got to be one of the best Supras in Europe now.

Maybe. Who cares? Chasing numbers is a mug's game IMHO.

I completely agree!

With little else to compare it to, and knowing how much Jamie has fliddled with various big bhp setups on Supras, his comment just made me wonder if anything might not be 100%. Absolutely nothing else made me wonder this nor can I think of anything that doesn't feel spot on with the car, it was simple a passing thought after Jamie's comment.

Nobody who's opinion matters a jot would be like "only 570 hp then?" - it's just bragging rights, and with everything else you have: The handling, the new ecu/single setup, y2k 6sp, RSP ... It's got to be one of the best Supras in Europe now.
Cheers! :blush: I did say I'd look after it! I love Supras and although my old one will always mean a lot to me, this one is just another level of awesomeness in every way.

Respray next, and/or suspension arms replacement as some buches are past their best and I'm not keen on going for poly ones.... thi'll be after the wedding I need to save for of course! :taped:

Regardless of timescales, I'm going to enjoy it on a few tracks in the more immediate future. ;)

with everything else you have: The handling, the new ecu/single setup, y2k 6sp, RSP ... It's got to be one of the best Supras in Europe now.

I notice the driver wasn't mentioned there! Poor Supra.

Only kidding Steve. ;) (I'd like a passenger slot at Llandow please, but I beg you not to kill me :taped:).

Take it easy on the drive back bud:)

Will do; testing will happen at Rockingham.

If all goes to plan I'm got to meet Kate at Stourbridge junction train station to then go collect her wedding dress from Kinver, and still get back in time to pick Dan up from school. 06:48 train for me! :(

Home and VERY happy!

I arrived up at Scooby Clinic where the car has been since December and met Pat (Solaris' technical director) so we had a chat for an hour about how the car was to set up, what was learned along the way and how it is now running. Pat is a really nice chap, extremely knowledgeable and has many good ideas for the future development of the Solaris ECUs which I shall really look forward to seeing implemented (when he gets time!). :)

So, on to the car....

I started it up (it had been stood outside overnight) and it fired up better than it did on the MoTeC, which considering it now waits to see oil pressure before starting ignition, was an impressive start. It no longer hunts when cold (it was terrible for this before; the tacho would bounce from 500rpm to 1000; now it just sits still and behaves itself :))

Driving it around when cold and when it'd warmed up it felt completely different, in a good way! I suppose I had got used to the little foibles and not quite perfect characteristics of the MoTeC's setup on my car and the finicky actions and throttle adjustments you had to take to pull away from a junction smoothly for example; there is none of that now, it felt like driving the brand new Mondeo hire car I had the other day and knowing how difficult that can be to achieve and how different it now is Vs the old setup, I am seriously impressed. It's lovely to drive 'round town'.

Cruising home on the motorways there was ample opportunity to watch the AFRs behaviour at a steady 50mph (through 10miles of road works on the M1!), 60mph, etc. Because it's now running 'closed loop' and the ECU can 'see' the AFRs, it trims as necessary to always achieve that perfect (give or take) 14.7:1 ratio. Actually I think it sat at about 14.5 (never really more than +/- 0.2), but that's splitting hairs in my book. Again, very impressed and happy.

Finally there is the all important ultimate question, what's it like WOT? At full boost the car simply flies. Being totally honest, my initial* thoughts are that it's a little weird because it doesn't feel much (if any) faster than before, but it is! Because boost comes in lower down and power arrives very smoothly and because the VVTi is now working, the edges have been knocked off the sudden surge of the power graph I used to have and I just get lots more 'go', earlier and more.... politely. :) Effortless is another word I'd use. WOT in 3rd and 4th and.... ooh look at that! :innocent: It's very, very fast.

* = "initial"; the track day on 1st March will no doubt reveal more. :)

Thanks a billion to Pat and to Ryan.G for all their hard work, Ryan has a couple of teeny finishing off jobs to do and we need to set up the traction control, but it's clear to see that the boys have already put in a HELL of a lot of effort and I am most, most grateful. My car is ace! :D

Glad you`re happy with it steve, see all that worrying and sleepless nights, told you it would be all good.

Time for me to start looking at what info I can pull of it and - via a laptop/carPC - overlay onto a video stream. Speed & revs are certainly possible (throttle & 'G'... maybe?).

Toys! :D