SteveR

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All Done.... Finally :D

Road tested the car yesterday after the dyno mapping and also setup the knock control.

Traction control will be setup with Steve as i don't like cars being driven that hard to cause traction lose without the customer.

Idles lovely now from cold and hot now that it has Idle control.

DBW is only used for Idle though as the ecu takes better control of the knock and traction through pulling timing and fueling accordingly. Even shuts down a cylinder if the knock level ever gets to high on a certain cylinder as it is running individual knock control now :)

Ryan

I've only just seen this thread! Blimey I had no idea all this was being done to my old car. Looks great! Fantastic job on the wiring harness there Ryan, massive improvement over the quality job Tuning Japanese did when they fitted the Motec for the previous owner (the one before me I mean).

The gains in power and torque, both peak and the whole area under the curve are pretty impressive. I think it compares very well with any of the others on Ryan's web site.

Edited by Jake
spelling (see edit history)

Just looking on ryans site and nothing matches your graph steve, you will have to take me out in it soon.:eyebrows:

:yeahthat:

Just looked and it has loads of midrange, awsome setup, that should be very quick on the road. With the Solaris TC setup it will be very very quick.

:thumbs:

I've just done & cheap & cheerful comparison by overlaying the two graphs in photoshop...

Blue = old map

Red = new map

Dashed = power (bhp)

Solid = torque (ft/lb)

That is an impressive difference.

Can I ask, other than the ECU change (from Motec > solaris) what else has been done to the car to impact the improvement?

If it simply the ECU; then how come such a massive difference?

imi

That is an impressive difference.

Can I ask, other than the ECU change (from Motec > solaris) what else has been done to the car to impact the improvement?

If it simply the ECU; then how come such a massive difference?

imi

Hi Imi

The car is a VVTI and before when running the motec it was not controlling the variable valve timing. Now with the Solaris fitted i wired it up so that the ecu controls the VVT properly and it was mapped to best suit the single turbo.

Due to the ability now to be able to change the cam timing so that its advanced on spool and then retarded at the top end to gain more power and torque.

Ryan

Very impressive spool and mid range torque there Steve :) Strange how it tails off so much at the high end, if that can be improved it'd reach some very high numbers indeed.. just hope it's not the turbo running out of puff.

You always get this with the VVTI. Went through a whole tank of fuel to find the best setup on the dyno and every time the power drops so i would put it down to the head design differences at first guess as the VE drops in the engine and you have to pull alot of fuel.

Seen it on alll the vvti's i have done.

i wired it up so that the ecu controls the VVT properly and it was mapped to best suit the single turbo.
And Ryan himself had already mapped the same car before with the same turbo, so the improvement is (mostly?) down to the VVTi now working.

(The VVTi not working before was nothing to do with Ryan though. The previous mappers, Tuning Japanese, failed to get it working when they fitted the Motec but they didn't mention it. )

IMO, if the car is starting well from hot and cold, idling well etc I'd be very tempted to settle for how it is now. It looks about perfect to me. OK so a little more power after 6500rpm would be ideal but personally I prefer to drive below those revs anyway.

Must drive like a different car.

Cananyone point me in the direction of the differences between the solaris vs Rltc. Thx

Posted via Mobile Device

RLTC looks for difference in wheel speeds and will cut fuelling to a degree and then entirely if setup/required to do so.

The Solaris will pull timing and then fuelling if necessary, so a little more elegant than the RLTC. Also I believe you can connect the (stock?) G-sensors to it if you want to start getting clever, but i don'tknow if anyone has tinkered with that as yet. I'll certainly be loooking into developing the traction control further - if that's possible for an enthusiastic learner like me - after Ryan and I have had chance to set it up initially.

Bet you still drive it like a Granny. :p

Oh yeah, the boost controller's main job was to gather dust. ;)

(It's been removed as part of this install as the Solaris takes over that role as well!)

In all fairness, I worry that there is a chance the turbo won't take being run to it's limits too much, so tend to leave the boost turned down most of the time. When I've got a few more pennies saved up as an insurance scheme I'll not worry so much and start driving like Jamie. ;)

I do give it johnny large potatoes from time to time ;), but even at low boost it's silly fast for the public roads so I save the full potential for the track; I'm sure you agree that's a sensible approach Doug. :p

Hi Imi

The car is a VVTI and before when running the motec it was not controlling the variable valve timing. Now with the Solaris fitted i wired it up so that the ecu controls the VVT properly and it was mapped to best suit the single turbo.

Due to the ability now to be able to change the cam timing so that its advanced on spool and then retarded at the top end to gain more power and torque.

Ryan

I see, so with VVT - Steve is getting the best of both worlds with low down torque and high-end power.

Question I have is - when you compare the two torque curves, neither the low-rpm graph nor the high-rpm graph line up. I would assume the motec was mapped to one of the two cams....so atleast one end of the graphs should pretty much line up.....or is that not how it works..?

Just looking on ryans site and nothing matches your graph steve, you will have to take me out in it soon.:eyebrows:

..and me please uncle Stevie.

:yeahthat:

Cheers Si, it does compare nicely!

ok but it'll be on a track guys - I'm sure that won't be a problem :)

Just looked and it has loads of midrange, awsome setup, that should be very quick on the road. With the Solaris TC setup it will be very very quick.

:thumbs:

Cheers Wez. Just got to get the TC set up when Ryan and I can meet somewhere practical when we're both free. I will hopefully get into the TC side of things and will post up on the Solaris forum if I start fiddlign (with Ryan's blessing of course! ;))

Very impressive spool and mid range torque there Steve :)

Ta!