The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Roll cage Group buy, help and ideas

johnd-mkiv

These will be bolt in units, you will be able to keep the rear seats after fitting the test cage in I could sit in the rear seats with no problems but I would advise padding them for safety (ill post more pics with a person seated in the rear)

As for the safety side of the cage ill be making it from CDS or T45 with the correct wall thickness tube. The main hoop is a copy of the Cusco cage which will be a tried and tested design, the two struts that come off the main hoop going into the boot will follow the angle of the rear boot area. Ideally the rear struts will need a load plate tig welded into each side of the rear chassie legs then the cage bolted to them, but im going to look into other options.

I can look into getting these tested if needed

Edited by johnd-mkiv (see edit history)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that concerns me about the do-luck cage is the rear mount point, it's at the very back of the chassis leg... If the car has a rear end shunt it's going to compromise the crumple point and potentially push the cage forward and downward to where the drivers head is.

I'd be more interested in a cage which had the rear mount point near the rear suspension mount which will be far stronger. Downside is no rear seats...

I have the CUSCO cage in my car and it's got the optional lateral brace that goes from the main hoop / b-pillar post and onto the footwell. Pretty nice but a tight fir for my RECARO's. Not sure though if it's competition spec or clubman or simply a show piece. Very nice though being powder coated blue.

However, nice as it is, I prefer the gauge being fabricated AND tested hehehehehe :) Wish I could get one of your cages there mate. PM me cost too just in case I get some extra dosh :)

The other style cages are not problems I just wanted to offer a design that allowed the rear seats to be kept. To be honest this is why I done this thread to get feedback from everyone.

I can see Homers point I was looking into running two struts down onto the rear suspension area to give it more support, its even possible to fabricate a reat strut bar into it.

I have a few pics I have been collecting over the past few weeks some are from members cars hope they dont mind, theres a range of mounting points im considering like a pick up point from the upper front seat belts onto the main hoop this will give the cage more support. take a look and give me some feedback ;)

130_0707_32_z+1995_toyota_supra+interior_rollcage.jpg

203.jpg

1339967026a8407849566l.jpg

carbing%20cage2.jpg

DSC04546.jpg

Picture%20006-s.jpg

trunk.jpg

PICT1152.jpg

If I'm going to get one, it need to keep the rear seats.

Would it be possible to have a hybrid of some sort, where an extra torsion bar or two could be added (bolted-in) to strategic areas that 'complete' the cage, but are removable so the boot space and rear seats are still useable the rest of the time?

Would this apeal its a more subtle looking cage mounting points will be around the rear suspension?

Hybrid cage is a great Idea its no problems for me but would be best for if we can agree on one design for it IE bolt in struts in the same places ect, that way I can make a batch up quicker and keep the costs down.

good point mentioned.

The thing that concerns me about the do-luck cage is the rear mount point, it's at the very back of the chassis leg... If the car has a rear end shunt it's going to compromise the crumple point and potentially push the cage forward and downward to where the drivers head is.

I'd be more interested in a cage which had the rear mount point near the rear suspension mount which will be far stronger. Downside is no rear seats...

this is an excellent idea.

Would this apeal its a more subtle looking cage mounting points will be around the rear suspension?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j249/suprajd/trunk.jpg

Hybrid cage is a great Idea its no problems for me but would be best for if we can agree on one design for it IE bolt in struts in the same places ect, that way I can make a batch up quicker and keep the costs down.