The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra back in the day.

The Raven

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it looks just as relevant today as it did then, personally.

A stock example, or with OEM skirts/spats looks as good as anything on the road now IMO, if not better.

Maybe some people may think the stock spoiler's a bit big, but I can still see out the back through it well enough. :)

Yours is one of the only Supra's on here that makes me want to restore the OEM look to mine.

Regarding the spoiler though, you should try life with a Veilside one;)

The auto box was standard? with the 6 speed an option?

The six speed was standard on the car, the Auto was a factory cost option (In the UK at least)

Apparently it set the standard for Autoboxes in its day, which is probably why it's still so highly regarded by owners today.

The auto box was standard? with the 6 speed an option?

The six speed was standard on the car, the Auto was a factory cost option (In the UK at least)

Apparently it set the standard for Autoboxes in its day, which is probably why it's still so highly regarded by owners today.

WTF so someone paid extra for the autobox...........lazy fools.

I stand corrected...... Anyone know the cost? Its kind of funny that people are now paying to change them back to the 6 speeds.

I think it was £1500-2000 (from a hazy memory)

Regarding the OP- it's main contender was the 300ZX (global) C4 Corvette LT1 + GM F-bodies (USA) 993 Carrera (US & Europe) & E36 M3 (3.0)

We may make a big deal about a £40k Toyota living with a £70k 911 but don't forget that a Pontiac Trans-Am was half the price of the Supra and almost as quick.

According to parkers guide, top speed is 155mph for both manual and auto. Isnt that figure a little low?

And the 0-60 on an auto is states being 5.6 seconds and 4.9 seconds on a manual?

Do those figures sound correct to everyone else?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=900

And new price range they reckon £41,999 - £42,549

According to parkers guide, top speed is 155mph for both manual and auto. Isnt that figure a little low?

And the 0-60 on an auto is states being 5.6 seconds and 4.9 seconds on a manual?

Do those figures sound correct to everyone else?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=900

And new price range they reckon £41,999 - £42,549

They were limited to 155mph.

5.6 seems quite high imo, I've out accelerated a SMG equipped E46 M3 to 60 by a car length or so and they are in the low fives.

Im quite intrigued as to what the actual figures were. I thought that they about 5.1sec 0-60 for an auto? Not much difference from the above quoted but just wondered what was stated in the brochure etc.

Best to look at the US magazines for that kind of thing, Car & Driver etc do quite indepth tests rather than using the figures from the company giving them the car. When they did the Supra back in '93 they timed the 0-60 at 4.6 (manual) and 0-100 at 11.1.

They also do "street start" which is 5-60 - that was 5.9.

1/4 mile was 13.1 @ 109, 18mpg city and 23mpg highway. Pulled 0.95g on a 300ft skidpad, 70-0 in 160ft.

They even rate things like the seats and list the max boost pressure when tested.

Joe Pesci might wedge himself into one of those rear seats but only after barking four or five unprintable oaths

Motor Trend carried out a test at the same time and got a 0-60 of 5.4, a 13.5 1/4 @ 106.6 and pulled 0.98g - so I guess it depends on who is driving.

"This sucker is seriously fast for a street car. It's everythign the old Supra wasn't: light, nimble, responsive, and chock full of Dan Gurney's influence" - Motor Trend

"There's a wealth of things to like about driving the Supra, but two really stick in my mind: The Oh-God-I-Love-It rush of the sequentiual turbo'd engine and the precise feel of the six speed - exactly like a hand-assembled, racing gearbox" - Ron Grable

Edit: Another Motor Trend article compared a few auto cars together - they put the Supra down as 5.6 to 60 with a 13.8 1/4 @ 105.51. It was up against the Corvette LT1, RX7 Touring and the Pontiac Firebird Formula. The Supra won but was more expensive, in the end they concluded that they would take the $43,651 and then buy a Pontiac so they had $23,636 left.

Edited by michael (see edit history)