The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What a c**** !

Bender

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be suprised to see more Police activity directed towards owners of modified cars. The Met had a big crackdown recently in NE London using intelligence gained from on-line crusing forums. I appreciate that the club isn't based around that sort of culture (although there are one or two members who are ;) ) but I suspect that was the start of many initiatives aimed at Chav car and dare I say it Jap car culture.

does anyone know the legal sound limit on a car is then?

Taken off pistonheads website:

I've marked out the relevant points for consideration.

"This is something I know a LOT about as I probably have the LOUDEST Porsche in the UK....

OK Some facts first....

NO Police officer has a Decibel meter

NO MOT station has a Decibel meter

NO Main Ministry station has a Decibel meter

Because...THERE IS NO LEGAL DECIBEL LIMIT !

I do...lol

The MOT centres CANNOT fail you on an MOT on noise...no matter how loud it is..

The relevant MOT section says you must NOT have a leaking exhaust or exhaust boxes and it must be gas tight, but nothing about noise...that applies whatever exhaust you have fitted and also if you have NO exhaust fitted (believe it or not)

So in theory you could take your car for an MOT on headers and it must pass as you have no leaks etc etc...

A car does NOT have to have a "standard" manufacturers exhaust on it at all...

But now to the sensible bit...

If I sat outside a Macdonalds revving the whatsits off my engine and I was reported, the police would not do me for a loud exhaust but WOULD do me for something like "public nuisance" or similar...

Noise is not very well covered in the regulations to be honest and its a bit of a grey area...

If you are not a 19 year old chav and being silly then I doubt you will get prosecuted...

Edited to add....after 1992 an MOT centre could fail you for no cats though,but that doesnt apply to earlier cars...I am pretty sure a police vehicle examiner could manage a charge from that as well although I dont know what exactly, probably something under "construction and use" etc..

All the best Brett"

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=498227&d=10273.41116

Michael.

A 'pund' is a unit of currency that exists only in the bizarre world of ex-Top Gear presenter, William Woollard.

Back in the day you could often hear him say things like "This Jaguar costs many punds".

Many thanks, I've added that to the currency section of my notebook for future reference :)

Many thanks, I've added that to the currency section of my notebook for future reference :)

Financial Advice in these dark times.

If you had purchased 1000 Punds worth of Northern Rock shares one year ago, it would now be worth 4.95 punds......blah blah blah.

Today police stop me because my exhaust is too loud ! :badmood: And he give me 30 punds ticket :blink: It's that possible if one guy say it's too loud (I also must change for standard one hahahaha) or I can do something with that ?

Too loud in comparison to what? Newer cars that are virtually silent? Or a Jet plane?

I'd complain that his sirens were too loud :p

Noise is good, it's an extra alert that you're there so less chance of an accident. Loud exhausts save lives! ;)

he cant just decide its too loud because its on a modyfied car

Yes he can.

Yeap he can.

so to my earlier post

the copper cant decide that an exhaust is too loud because there is no legal limit

so really the copper is abusing his authority

and making pure cr*p up

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

thats only if the car has a silencer

So if your car did have a "silencer" but was "too loud", by your reckoning you could just remove the silencer altogether and be perfectly fine? Sorry it just doesn't work like that. If the copper says it's too loud you don't have any legal leg to stand on and you must get it rectified.