The mkiv Supra Owners Club

best value bov

Robzki

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Value/Quality I meant to say. standard bovs must all be reaching their sell by date by now S/h anyway. if the pipes were anything to go by, they haven't stood the test of time at all well :(.

Thats rubish, the stock ones are FAR more reliable than aftermarket tat, especially the budget ones you seem to be looking for,

If you want to do it cheap, get a stock 2nd hand one. If you want reliable spend the cash and get a proper aftermarket one.

If you want to do it wrong, buy some cheap crap on ebay.

You makes your choice...

BTW, booted from tech ;)

ssqv cheap? greddy? blitz?

ok I'll change my question. what is the best most reliable super duper bov in your opinion?

my stock one and many others I've seen aren't that reliable. its lasted 80k admittedly but most stock bovs are around that mileage now.

I have up to £200 to spend, but want the best value for my money, I didn't think that was ebay cheap tat territory. I may be wrong tho. and like discussions on the pros/cons. I am open minded on these things

Oh right, it wasn't clear before, you were asking for cheap, not what is good.

I recommend a Tial. Very reliable, well made and gives a suitably satisfying bus door sound.

Hi

my stock bov, is knackered, so I'm looking for a replacement. This is one item I'm happy to follow the masses and get a ssqv. unless theres anyone that can give me a better option. I have an arc hardpipe turbo-ic pipe on the way(thanks tricky-Ricky :) ) with a bov fitment but unsure of size thread etc. Apexi I think).

What is the best value/quality bov out there. prefer direct replacement I think(looks better imho) and I realise that there is no performance benefit(except when its leaking like my stock one)

Where is the best place to get one from. nic has quoted £185 posted. and seems a great bloke, but money how it is atm, I need as cheap as I can without wasting money on tat ;)

Thanks

Rob

Just out of interest, I think my GReddy bov maybe on it's way out, what did your bov sound like as your's was on it's way out too??

I maybe able to compare in order to nail where my weird boost noise is coming from...

I think I said I know theres no performance gain. don't remember saying I wanted a £30 ebay one. just best value for money. I also never said I wanted to do it 'wrong'.

I've not looked into tial and you have both mentioned those so I'll look at those. which is why I was here in the first place. and I do appreciate your opinions. you did seem to just assume value for my hard earnt cash = ebay tat. which is how a lot of replies seem to come over. the assumption seems to be aimed at the newbie is st00pid, naive and wants to chav it up. its a shame. because so many members genuinely want to help. and as I realise a lot of questions do get asked soooo many times it gets dull. but there is always fresh ideas/product and members. which is a good thing imo.

ooh, prefer it in supra chat.

I think I said I know theres no performance gain. don't remember saying I wanted a £30 ebay one. just best value for money. I also never said I wanted to do it 'wrong'.

I've not looked into tial and you have both mentioned those so I'll look at those. which is why I was here in the first place. and I do appreciate your opinions. you did seem to just assume value for my hard earnt cash = ebay tat. which is how a lot of replies seem to come over. the assumption seems to be aimed at the newbie is st00pid, naive and wants to chav it up. its a shame. because so many members genuinely want to help. and as I realise a lot of questions do get asked soooo many times it gets dull. but there is always fresh ideas/product and members. which is a good thing imo.

:dontfeedmods:

Just out of interest, I think my GReddy bov maybe on it's way out, what did your bov sound like as your's was on it's way out too??

I maybe able to compare in order to nail where my weird boost noise is coming from...

tbh mine degraded so slowly it is hard to pinpoint. there wasn't the usual nice turbo noise(hard to describe) it seemed to just be pushing a lot of air, and the power was very inconsistent. I vented it to atmosphere and gently increased throttle it was obviously leaking, as soon as the turbos cut in there was a steady leak from the outlet. which built to sounding like I was releasing a steady airline. I removed mine and could blow through it without it being opened by vacuum.

I've had no experience with aftermarket bovs but imagine the principles of operation and faults are likely to be the same. if its a recirc bov then a faulty/leaking bov would be hard to diagnose imo better if it vents to atmosphere. but a loss of boost would be noticable on the gauge I'd imagine

for info. I've removed mine now, and the change is unbelievable. it brings on power so smoothly and is just an absolute pleasure to drive. so maybe remove yours entirely to check.

by the way, is your stock bov still fitted? if so it may be that one that is leaking pressure back into the intake?

Your assumptions are wrong, we have these sort of threads every day for at least as long as I've been here and the answer is always the same. You are the newbie: read, listen and learn, but a sense of humour is needed more than anything else ;) Stuff like this has been covered literally hundreds of times so you must forgive us if we reply a little tongue in cheek ;)

Your assumptions are wrong, we have these sort of threads every day for at least as long as I've been here and the answer is always the same. You are the newbie: read, listen and learn, but a sense of humour is needed more than anything else ;) Stuff like this has been covered literally hundreds of times so you must forgive us if we reply a little tongue in cheek ;)

Well said...lol...:D

lol, you're right, but you must also remember that I'm a newbie on this forum not to toyotas, cars or life. I have searched the forums many times and this has stopped me asking many silly q's. I realise you've heard it all b4 but possibly. just not answering with a tongue in cheek(which can come across as sarcastic) may be the best way in some instances. I realise unless you've made 5k posts here then you don't deserve an opinion.

thanks for your help anyway