The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo regrets?

Axle

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are the pitfalls people experience then? Seems to me, on face value that a single conversion kit designed for the car should have no problems?

Why isnt a bigger twins conversion more popular?

More expensive & complicated for the most of it. They're generally a little extreme for road use.

I sold my BPU UK spec Auto, and bought a single six speed.

The only time I ever regret getting a single is in stop/start traffic. Otherwise it's definately worth it.

Whats wrong with it? mine drives like stock.

Nothing, i'm actually very suprised how 'stock' the clutch feels. I was also expecting the gearchange to be a little 'industrial', but I find it smooth and accurate. It's just the auto is really good in traffic. I guess i'm just lazy :)

I miss kickdown too, but the pros of a manual definately outweigh the cons overall. I can't wait to get it on a track!

Nothing, i'm actually very suprised how 'stock' the clutch feels. I was also expecting the gearchange to be a little 'industrial', but I find it smooth and accurate. It's just the auto is really good in traffic. I guess i'm just lazy :)

I miss kickdown too, but the pros of a manual definately outweigh the cons overall. I can't wait to get it on a track!

Nothing to do with single then:D

Nothing to do with single then:D

I guess I have gone a little off topic. :innocent:

I'd say the only downside with the single is the wastegate attracts alot of attention. Although that's also one of the benefits of a single, so it doesn't really count.

Standing start acceleration is also pretty poor (due to loss of traction), although i'm hoping a set of R888s will cure this to an extent.

Those of you who have gone single, do you regret it?

I am wondering if there is such a setup which would avoid the many pitfalls many people seem to experience in going single.

If you could magic your car back to Stock/BPU and take back the money spent would you?

Yes, stock with some subtle styling.

I guess I have gone a little off topic. :innocent:

I'd say the only downside with the single is the wastegate attracts alot of attention. Although that's also one of the benefits of a single, so it doesn't really count.

Standing start acceleration is also pretty poor (due to loss of traction), although i'm hoping a set of R888s will cure this to an extent.

Yup, good Geo setup and R888's will make a world of difference, if your suspension is rock hard that wont help either.

Yup, good Geo setup and R888's will make a world of difference, if your suspension is rock hard that wont help either.

That's what i'm thinking.

I was going to take it to Mr Wilson (NOT to be confused with the grumpy old man from Dennis), although I don't think he'll like the 18s or the Aragosta coilovers from what I hear!

totally regret going single. Made me distrust the car and everything it did. I became worried driving it any distance in case it threw up a problem. I never used the power to its fullest and never had enough money to put in to the car to make it run perfectly.

Went back to stock turbos and I found my love of Supras again.

A stock based supra on BPU+ will be as much of a hoot as a single, and probably without the huge investment or the need to put in an aftermarket ECU etc.

Think long and hard about going single turbo. It was also rare to see a single when I did mine, its very common now.

I Love my single :)

Don't like driving in traffic as the clutch is :(

The open road is far more fun, but saying that the look you get when giving it a foot full takes some matching :)

The expense doesn't bother me as i could have spent 70/80/90k on a Porka or 100k+ on a Ferrari and still not had the same buzz as i get from my Supra.

I also dought that i would have taken something like that to the drag strip once a month, i also think insurance, servicing, fuel and depriciation costs would have been far more than i've spent on my Supra.

I wouldn't advise anybody to start with a single conversion without having cash in the bank and be prepared to spend it! Even then be prepared for things to go wrong, as taking thing to the extreme normally means weaker parts will break some time down the road.

The cost side of things is a big factor, people try to cut corners and thats where the problems start, do it right and all should be fine if the base car is healthy. its not cheap.

Get the car checked over (compression check etc) and make sure there are no problems before you start.

Talk with people that have done it before and get advice on what parts work.

Guest getmoregetmint

dont flame me if its like a really stupid question, but i need to learn hah. im sure everyone was the same few years back

but, whats the advantage of having a single over a twin anyway? surely, on paper, having a twin turbo would be more powerful?

Been single a few years now and its been a roller coaster of highs and lows! I think i've done my "properly" and not cut any corners and tbh its been very reliable (single related kit and engine) but whats still not sorted is the autobox :( Again to future proof the car and to handle the power of a single I went down the BL box route to try and make the car even more bullet proof however its just been one problem after another :( and i'm now on whats going to be my third box :blink: Im just glad that i choose Michel to help sort it as he's kept on helping me to try and get it sorted :)

It is very expensive! and has the potential for causing massive unreliability if not done right. I don't see it as a car anymore I just think off it as a hobby! and one that I get to do everyday! But again I think Im in a bit of low at the moment and just fed up with it because of the box! But hopefully all will be sorted soon

I kinda regret not doing, it would have been a fantastic project to take on and would have loved to let Gaz and his lads run free on it. However what stopped me was the the fact I would never get the money back and my budget was 10k. I then started to look at what Cars I could get for 15-20k and turned out one of my dream cars was in that list.

Main pitfall imo is cost of doing it right, check my project thread for what it costs to do a modest conversion.

Complex and laggy when compared to a modern good quality single kit.

I would have thought 2 smaller modern turbos would be less laggy than single? I do get the complexity though, can imagine making a manifold woult be a bit difficult