The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra BHP record (european) ?

Guest KDW

Did I mention it will spin 9500 RPM..

Yes CW, thats right :p

For how long, and with how much funny crank bearing wear? We'll see. I assume such a high end engine is going on a proper engine dyno for mapping and to give a properly verifiable BHP and torque read out? What transmission is expected to take the torque of this fast spooling engine? Good luck with it, seriously, that sort of investment in a Supra is impressive, but seems a waste for a road car, what the hell can you do with a very noisy 1000HP engine on the road?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Chris,

If you want an 100% accurate readout then an engine dyno is needed.

Do you have a chassis Dyno in denmark that will take the power you are wanting to run, as I can see serious traction issues being encounted.

Wish you the best of luck though, I just hope its lasts long as 70k would be horriable to lose after a few dyno pulls.

Ryan

p.s i reckon if Paul whiffin turned up his boost and applied abit of nitrous he would be knocking on the door of 1300bhp. But i doubt he will as it seems he has a reliable 850bhp at present so why lose it.

I'm sure it will last just as long as any other pumped 2jz, it will probably require a bit more maintaince as exspected from any race engine.

But I know of several people in the US running similar setup and they have pulled the motor quite often to inspect it and everytime they have been surprised of the minty condition everytihng is in.

There is really nothing new in what I'm doing. Titan stock these engines almost like an off-the-shell grossery for next day shipping, and people are pushing them on a daily basis in the US.

With that said, I know it's not quite that easy but it is a hoppy car for me. I don't expect to never be under the hood, but thats part of the fun.

I hope it doesn't blow though :)

I'm sure you'll both (Ryan G. & CW) agree with me that a huge factor with any built engine is the tune. That is also why I chose to have John Reed fly in from the US.

Mainly because I choose the Motec, and the fact that he is known to be one of the best Motec mappers in the world. But also because he has done a lot of 1000+whp Supras over the years.

If you see a high powered Supra on a Motec, there's a good chance that he did it.

An engine dyno would be nice, but I don't think we have any here. We also only have one proper dyno that will meassure that power level, it's a Dynojet but it's out of order till next year.

My plans are that we will put the car on an auto transporter and travel to Germany. They have Dynojets down there.

Chris W: Originally I didn't want to push the car past 8500rpm, but that was before I chose to go with such a big turbo.

I expect that with the additional mods I've done as far as turbo goes, that I might see full boost at 5600 RPM (without spray), if I'm lucky.

I really want a proper powerband this time, it wasn't really good on my old KAI setup with a rev limit at 7K:taped:

We might try out 9K and see how it feels, because I am also a little nervous about the high RPM's (I fear this way more than the power level).

It's a give & take kind of thing, without a proper powerband there's no point in going this big on turbo really. Then I might as well stayed with the T51, right?

I've driven a well over 1000hp Supra from Storm Racing (note to self: never speak of Storm again). He was running a fully built block, HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE turbo, motec, 2 50mm gates (couldn't control the boost with one). This thing is nuts. Worst car I've ever driven. Doesn't make boost until WAAAAY up high. Gotta be a European contender tho

I agree Chris,

p.s i reckon if Paul whiffin turned up his boost and applied abit of nitrous he would be knocking on the door of 1300bhp. But i doubt he will as it seems he has a reliable 850bhp at present so why lose it.

He has a really well built and very nice car for sure, and I'm sure it would do much more than what he is pushing atm.

For me, I'm an adrenaline junkie for sure, and belive it or not but I spent silly amount of money, hard work, blod sweat & tears over the years on many different projects. ALWAYS ending up with an urge for more and a lot of money wasted..

This time I wanted to make sure it didn't happen again.

I simply LOVE the rush, eighter it scares me a little bit or it gets boring over time. It's stupid and childish I know, but that really is the essence of this project.

BTW. Don't you have those dyno's in the UK where you take off the wheels and bolt the hubs directly to the dyno?

Wouldn't that be the best way to go about it with this car?

I've driven a well over 1000hp Supra from Storm Racing (note to self: never speak of Storm again). He was running a fully built block, HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE turbo, motec, 2 50mm gates (couldn't control the boost with one). This thing is nuts. Worst car I've ever driven. Doesn't make boost until WAAAAY up high. Gotta be a European contender tho

But it probably got your juices flowing right? :)

2x 50mm WG's thats a lot :blink: I will be running 2x 44mm, I haven't seen anyone with 2x50 before. Must be a custom manifold?

Is it not an option to have Titan tune the engine in the US with the Motec etc on an engine dyno, I understand all the bits are coming from there anyway including the mapper so it may be way more cost effective to get it mapped before shipping ??

Also if the engine has an issue on the engine dyno in the US you have the Titan team at hand to resolve the issue ?

Actually most parts come from MVP, but yes something like that could have been done I guess but I don't really see the point other than they have an engine dyno.

John says it will be just as good on the regular dyno.

The engine will not have an issue, it is built with proper clearences and to well proven specs.

Also there will always be small varies in climate and stuff, so the tune might actually end up being less effective that way.

A tune in natural habitate will always yield the best result.

will a 6 speed hold that sort of power? will it shift properly at 9500rpm with that amount of power? What your building is crazy powerful and most supras i've read about with that power most of the time (although admittedly not all the time) use powerglides and TH400's and the like. Are you staying V160 because you want to use it on the street?

will a 6 speed hold that sort of power? will it shift properly at 9500rpm with that amount of power? What your building is crazy powerful and most supras i've read about with that power most of the time (although admittedly not all the time) use powerglides and TH400's and the like. Are you staying V160 because you want to use it on the street?

It will hold up fine mate.

I am having it rebuilt, not cause it needs it but more to have a fresh platform to work with.

Ryan Woon for example has done 250+ passes on a bone stock V160. (1400bhp and 8's in the Qmile)

It might be the most impressive engineering piece on the Supra IMO.

The prop shaft will not handle that power but I have a carbon unit to replace it.

Also I'll have some billet drive shafts in it, just in case. (even though stock ones will probably hold up fine).

And yes I want to keep the 6sp because it's more fun to drive IMO.

The optimum solution for me would be a sequential box, but I've searched all over and contacted many tuners in Japan and it's not an easy task to source one.

Edited by KDW (see edit history)

Late october.

It will be a close call since I will have the last parts in-hand 1-2 weeks before John Reed arrives. But he will be here till it's done so it's alright.

The optimum solution for me would be a sequential box, but I've searched all over and contacted many tuners in Japan and it's not an easy task to source one.

Have you looked into what would be involved in fitting a Holinger H6S 6 speed Sequential gearbox? There are bell housing adapters available to fit the Supra.

KDW, I think you should rethink the mapping on a 'wheels on' chassis dyno. There's a few engine dynos in Germany you could use but failing that try to locate a hub dyno in Denmark or local countries (Abbey motorsport in the UK have one).

Oh, and I second the pics, get up mate :)

Have you looked into what would be involved in fitting a Holinger H6S 6 speed Sequential gearbox? There are bell housing adapters available to fit the Supra.

I've been talking to Endless-R about this, but it ended up around 10-12K and no one could tell me if it would even take this kind of power so I dropped it.

win us over with some pictures ;)

look forward to seeing the dyno plot, and I hope you have some big roads over there!

I only have some of the dissasembly, body work, and a few from the painter. I'll look into it.

KDW, I think you should rethink the mapping on a 'wheels on' chassis dyno. There's a few engine dynos in Germany you could use but failing that try to locate a hub dyno in Denmark or local countries (Abbey motorsport in the UK have one).

Oh, and I second the pics, get up mate :)

I just found out today that we might have a bolt-on dyno in Denmark afterall! I will find out more in the next few days.

Would be a lot less hassle if I can find one around here.

I think you will struggle controlling the boost you intend to run on twin44mm's

I'm using twin 44mm's to control a GT35R - and T67 in the not too distant future, it should be spot on for those applications, but not sure about 2.4bar on one of those windmills!:D

There were a few posts on SF I'm sure Geoff from FR replied to regarding boost, he stated that to fully control boost you would need twin 60's or something on a turbo that big, it wouldnt be that hard to fabricate the manifold you bought

It doesn't make sense why Geoff would say that when the mani they fabricate only supports 44mm's. And thats even on a manifold thats ment to run these size turbo's.

The search feature is disabled on SF unfortenately, so I can't find the thread you're talking about. If you have a link please let me know.

BTW, I found out that we have a Chassis dyno where the hubs are bolted onto the dyno, actually a Dynapack as the ones used in the UK. (Dynapack 4000).

Only problem is what it has a max of 1100whp.

• 10 months later...

who knows.. I dont even know the record, but I know I have a 1500whp setup thats for sure :)

I am usually not easily scared, and tends to like extreme things.. But this one's a BEAST. oh my! Not much streecar left in her. It sounds ridicules too.

who knows.. I dont even know the record, but I know I have a 1500whp setup thats for sure :)

I am usually not easily scared, and tends to like extreme things.. But this one's a BEAST. oh my! Not much streecar left in her. It sounds ridicules too.

Specs? What boost?

I'm going to Dubai soon, so I probably wont get much done untill I'm back home.

I've had John Reed over from the US mapping the car, and he will come back ones we are ready to go balls out.

Still breaking it in right now and doing some tweaks on the very complicated fuel systm(s)