The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra BHP record (european) ?

Guest KDW

It would be a real shame not to hear about this project, then place it in the 'project car section'. So I'm going to prune it back to only technical posts relating to the project and I would ask everyone to keep the discussion on topic please.

KDW:- Please add as much detail as you can to the thread.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Bodilx I know, but my car isn't exactly suited for Padborg which is Circuit racing..

I have 325/50-15 MT in the back, plus my upper control arms, traction links, toe links, etc. are all set with one thing in mind, HOOK :)

It's more drag orientated than it is circuit. I could slap on some 18's in the back and re-set my entire suspension, but I really don't see the point. I spent 3300 hours building it and it is way to nice to be trashing it around the circuit.

To the guys talking about dog boxes, I have already bought a fully sequential gear box from Sellholm in Sweden. It's a one-off with a lot of trick stuff done to it, like cyo'd everything to cope with the powers. Nobody has tried 1500 whp on it yet, so we will see it holds up. They think it will, especially with the stronger materials and cryo processing.. So far they have run 1100 whp on it with no problems.

If it doesn't hold, well then I still have my brand new V160/Tilton quad combo, which are shifting amazingly well actually.

To the guys talking about dog boxes, I have already bought a fully sequential gear box from Sellholm in Sweden. It's a one-off with a lot of trick stuff done to it, like cyo'd everything to cope with the powers. Nobody has tried 1500 whp on it yet, so we will see it holds up. They think it will, especially with the stronger materials and cryo processing.. So far they have run 1100 whp on it with no problems.

Sounds interesting, had a look on their site, unfortunately I can't read Swedish.

I know Hollinger and OS Giken did sequential boxes (with air shifters too) for Skylines but don't think they had anything off the shelf for the Supra. V. expensive anyway.

Tractive (Sweden) can do a box for the MKIV, on a bellhousing for the 158 box. I have put one in my Skyline. It's a race box, not really a drag race box. IMHO the best drag race boxes are Lenco if you want a "manual" box, although a lot of people air shift them, and modified American auto boxes. Once you get over 750 ft lbs of torque manual boxes tend to be huge, heavy and with truck like change qualities when given the abuse drag racing throws at them. I have to laugh when someone says the car is too nice to trash around a circuit, in terms of mechanical abuse a few 1/4 mile runs are far worse ;) Shock loads are killers.

Tractive have nearly finished their hydraulic paddle shift system for their boxes, which should be interesting.

Chris Im not just talking about mechanical.. You of all people should know that chips and damages to exterior body work are not uncommon when circuit racing. My car is not just a race car. It has a show quality paint job, body styling, and rims I don't want to damage.

Oh, I see, I don't do show quality paintwork, in fact even washing cars is against my religion :) I couldn't bear to have a competition car that I worried about a chip or scrape on, I just can't see the point, but DO I see where you are coming from. Enough already I mustn't keep you from the feather duster.... ;)

I know Chris :) Race and show doesn't go well hand in hand.

I just can't have the slightest inperfection on my car, it's nagging me, lol.