The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suggestions for engine swap (V10, V8, V6, etc)

Dann

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Tremec T56 makes the getrag v160 feel like the smoothest box in the world, very had to change gear quickly with the T56 imo.

But without spending a fortune, what are the options? I only suggest it as a plug and play (well, relatively anyway) option. There's other transmissions out there but to mate them to the LS and to get a bellhousing that's small enough to fit into the Supra trans tunnel is no small problem. Unless doing it Ryan style :D

One other thing to mention - don't even consider this unless you have at least £10k to spend (£15k+ would be more realistic).

12K is a figure i had in mind.

Just need to decide on which LS to get hold of. Shipping for these engines i can sort out for relatively cheap.

Homer - Any opinions on which transmission to go with? Stick with that which came with the LS?

I have a feeling that the cost is not a real problem to Axle.

It's a one-off!:)

Well, I done similar in my Mercedes w126 (v12 AMG engine). Something about these kinds of engine conversions get me...:innocent:

The LS7 i can already source to my door (or my mechanics) for under 7k.

If it was not for the fact i like the Supra styling so much, aswell as the interior i would have chosen another model of car to undertake such a conversion.

This is hardly going to be an overnight project though. But if i decide to fully go ahead with it, i get tunnel vision and it must be done.

12K is a figure i had in mind.

Just need to decide on which LS to get hold of. Shipping for these engines i can sort out for relatively cheap.

Homer - Any opinions on which transmission to go with? Stick with that which came with the LS?

I'd skip the shipping option and look towards Monaro and Corvette lot for a scrapper here in the UK. The prices are a lot lower. E.g. Viper lump with T56 in the US will normally be £8k plus shipping, there's the same for £4k on SXOC right now. Same went for an LS2 T56 a few months ago, cheaper here than in the US.

Your options on the trans are limited, near all of the Chevy equiped manual cars come with the tremac. I've never driven one with it in, but it's generally regarded as a bit agricultural. The reason i suggest one is that it has ready supply, has large torque handling and parts are more available (and cheaper) than anything you'll ever see for a supra.

That is, unless you are buying a crate engine and box?

I'm not trying to teach you to suck egss or anything, it's just that most people who ask about this (me included as it turns out) don't know just how complex the conversion is.

Not at all, and no offence taken.

At the end of the day, the mechanic who will be used is very well respected on these boards. If he thinks he can do it, then i trust his judgement. Hence why nothing has yet been finalised on the route to take, if any.

It is somthing i would love to make happen. Time is the biggest enemy to me at the moment.

But without spending a fortune, what are the options? I only suggest it as a plug and play (well, relatively anyway) option. There's other transmissions out there but to mate them to the LS and to get a bellhousing that's small enough to fit into the Supra trans tunnel is no small problem. Unless doing it Ryan style :D

Why don't you look at mating the Getrag V160 to V8, that way you would only need to worry about engine mounts and the box will take the power.

Anything will fit with enough time and money thrown at it. Personally I would go for something simple with minmum electronics like a big block Chevy, either on a carb (really straightforward to plumb up and wire, or, if funds allow, a late big block on injection. A manual box will be easier than an auto, too. Easy is a relative term though :)

The first thing to consider is the sump V the existing X member. Making a sump and moving oil pick ups will be costly.

This has just come up for sale, if you like superchargers:

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/27244/63_amg_engine_v8.html

Just got off the phone with this chap.

It has come out of his CLS 63 Which he wrecked, and then bought back from insurance etc.

Hmmmm..

If this can be made to fit, would it be stupid to try and mate it with its original transmission? He has that too and is willing to sell together for an extra 2k.

Just got off the phone with this chap.

It has come out of his CLS 63 Which he wrecked, and then bought back from insurance etc.

Hmmmm..

If this can be made to fit, would it be stupid to try and mate it with its original transmission? He has that too and is willing to sell together for an extra 2k.

Id ask him how much for the complete car, you will want the wireing loom, ecu, fuel pump etc, if you have the complete car then nothing can be missed for the swap over, that will make one very cool supra.

Id ask him how much for the complete car, you will want the wireing loom, ecu, fuel pump etc, if you have the complete car then nothing can be missed for the swap over, that will make one very cool supra.

That includes the ECU and wiring too JP.