The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stripped out NA drift car to BDC pro-spec

JustGav

Nice work Gav, coming along nicely!

Are you putting the dash back in? I'd be tempted to leave it out and make up some custom panels to hold only the instruments you need. Should be quite a weight saving, and from the front (ish!) of the car too.

PS: Richard Stock was after a full dask (see wanted section). That is provided you didn't remove it in the same was as from that one in the scrapyard :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work Gav, coming along nicely!

Are you putting the dash back in? I'd be tempted to leave it out and make up some custom panels to hold only the instruments you need. Should be quite a weight saving, and from the front (ish!) of the car too.

PS: Richard Stock was after a full dask (see wanted section). That is provided you didn't remove it in the same was as from that one in the scrapyard :D

I've put the shell of the dash back in, once you remove the heater section there is nothing left behind. Nah, definitely didn't take it out the same way, got it nice and clean and it has already gone back in, only takes 30 minutes to refit the entire dash. :)

Spoke to Gav yesterday and he mentioned the dash has been put back in with the intention of it staying in

Oh well....Shame cos it would of been really convenient to pick it up being in Hampshire an all :(

There is another one but it’s a 270mile round trip...

Oh well, would like to see this track monster when its finished though :)

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Gav (anyone), can you just confirm exactly what is in the last pic, is it the AC & heater stuff combined, or just AC stuff, can the AC stuff be removed on it's own?

It is the heater matrix, the fan blower, the aircon system. The entire lot. In addition taking that out means the heater control boxes come out as well as the dash controls. It does add up to be honest.

Oh well....Shame cos it would of been really convenient to pick it up being in Hampshire an all :(

There is another one but it’s a 270mile round trip...

The dash isn't perfect, it had a slight bit of lift/warping just above the top glove box as well as a few holes above the driver's side airvent (looks like wiring holes of some kind)

The dash isn't perfect, it had a slight bit of lift/warping just above the top glove box as well as a few holes above the driver's side airvent (looks like wiring holes of some kind)

No worries mate, it would not of mattered about the condition anyway as it was going to pulled about a bit anyway....

Looking good gav :cool:

Very tempting what with the price of a ratty NA these days...

Have you thought about upping the rev limit with an EMU? That's the way to get more power out of an NA and who cares if the engine life goes down from 200,000 miles to 10,000 because of it? Certainly not you ;)

-Ian

Looking good gav :cool:

Very tempting what with the price of a ratty NA these days...

Have you thought about upping the rev limit with an EMU? That's the way to get more power out of an NA and who cares if the engine life goes down from 200,000 miles to 10,000 because of it? Certainly not you ;)

-Ian

Well, odd you should say that... I've recently acquired a spare NA head which I'll doing some work on over the next few weeks. This will then go on... Might not be an EMU, all depends on what I get my hands on really. :)

As far as engine life goes...not overly bothered, as long as it survives the upcoming track day, once that is done I'm going to have a go at a 1/4 with a bit of difference :) (Not going for sub 10, just want to set a decent time in the NA :))

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
So then Gav, any action? :D

Yup... I gave the car to the wife to go drifting with and hopefully get into the BDC next year :)

Rather than start a new thread, I'll use this one for the drift car build.

Currently sourcing some T45 ready for the cage to be built.

Still to do

1. Take out existing driver's side recaro (sold) and replace with a Corbeau Revolution.

2. Remove aircon rad, compressor and associated pipe work (will sell if there is any interest)

3. Order T45 and begin getting the cage installed.

4. Order and install fire extinguisher system

5. Order and install battery isolation kit

6. Re-install door cards (purely to save me having to remove lots of little bits off the doors for now)

7. Fabricate up some strut braces

8. Modify / fabricate up some parts for the front suspension in order to increase camber, also work out ways to extend the lock on the steering side.

9. Get some fibreglass bumpers on it (Supraloopy supplying a failside front, thank you :))

10. Slap some solid white paint on it.

11. Installation of monitoring gauges (Thanks to Casey's on this front)

Done

1. Strip out

2. Installation of suspension

3. New head completely built up.

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)

Yup... I gave the car to the wife to go drifting with and hopefully get into the BDC next year :)

Rather than start a new thread, I'll use this one for the drift car build.

Currently sourcing some T45 ready for the cage to be built.

How much T45 do you need? A friend works for some aircraft engineering company down here and may be able to get you some.

White though? I still think black ftw :)

Something to be said for these cars. The car has been stood for a year, and with a fresh battery she started on the button.

Brakes were a little rusty but soon freed up, I had forgotten how bitey the clutch and diff combo were :)

Tomorrow the aircon rad and compressor are coming out and the cage will soon be going in.

great just a quick question what are the easiest things to remove for weight loss in your oppinion after spare\tools and seats im very interrested thanks in advance

It does really depend on how far you want to go... The next step from what I've done has to be Ryan G's car.

I'm not sure you would get much benefit from much else really, the plastic trim, and heater matrix probably doesn't weigh all the much in the overall scheme and if it is a daily driver it could be become a bit dangerous.

Glass-fibre or carbon doors, wings & bootlid. Polycarbonate windows. A/C pump and rad removed. But as Gav says its just how much are you willing to give up?

The issue with carbon doors, is that you will HAVE to fit a rollcage, and by the time you put the cage in all the weight you have saved you have just added in CDS or T45.