The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stripped out NA drift car to BDC pro-spec

JustGav

For road use as well?

YES! the carbon doors usually don't have the impact protection system, and I don't know about you but I wouldn't drive around with just a bit of fibreglass/CF stopping a side impact. If you are just skinning the door with CF then it is also pointless as the the thin skin weighs near on nothing anyway. Ryan G's car is seriously the next step away on weight saving and he has got a good solid cage in it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean is the roll cage required for a road car if carbon doors are fitted.

But thanks for the elaborate answer.:p

No problem, what i meant was that weight reduction, to that extreme, is pointless for on the road unless you want to properly race and drive like a tit on the everyday roads. In which case, as Gav mentioned, you would be on the losing end of any accident you ended up in.

Alright so the doors are a bit pointless and dangerous for road use but the wings, boot lid and windows are hardly extreme and have to be of some value and certainly a step to be considered before you cut the entire floor from your car and move the engine into the glove box!

For the road? I have to ask.. why? Is it for pub talk? I can't understand why you would need a stripped out car for normal road use.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have a similar project but TT(single) six speed being built for BDC, I have just bought a new house which has slowed the build but its nearly there now.

I'll try and start a thread, for your interest I have a weld in 12 point fabricage cage and I bought it pre bent for approx £300 which I though was a good deal and the bends are just right.

Anyway the point of my post was to ask what you are doing to increase lock as the supra is pretty poor as standard. I was condering going with lock spacers plus taking 10-15mm out of the steering arm on the hub to give inproved lock plus a quicker steering. What are your plans for increased lock?

Hello

I have a similar project but TT(single) six speed being built for BDC, I have just bought a new house which has slowed the build but its nearly there now.

I'll try and start a thread, for your interest I have a weld in 12 point fabricage cage and I bought it pre bent for approx £300 which I though was a good deal and the bends are just right.

Anyway the point of my post was to ask what you are doing to increase lock as the supra is pretty poor as standard. I was condering going with lock spacers plus taking 10-15mm out of the steering arm on the hub to give inproved lock plus a quicker steering. What are your plans for increased lock?

Hiya, I've spotted you on drift works a few times :)

Yeah, interested possibly in the cage details, as material is about the same price.

The steering is one thing I've been thinking about and asking other people, but since no-one seems to use the jza80 a lot information is rather light on the ground and I suspect it will be a learning curve.

Hiya, I've spotted you on drift works a few times :)

Yeah, interested possibly in the cage details, as material is about the same price.

The steering is one thing I've been thinking about and asking other people, but since no-one seems to use the jza80 a lot information is rather light on the ground and I suspect it will be a learning curve.

:wave:

Try Fabricage, I found them to be very helpful, my price was collected in cash.

I have found the same thing with the steering, I think our main problem is once we get increased angle we will get contact with the antiroll bar.

I have also read that Delcan has used hubs from another toyota varient in order to increase lock, but I am not sure which one or if they would fit a JZA80.

I think the JZA80 is popular for drifting in Sweden but as you say there is very little information about how they modify there cars.

The issue with carbon doors, is that you will HAVE to fit a rollcage, and by the time you put the cage in all the weight you have saved you have just added in CDS or T45.

Most of the point of fitting a roll cage is to make the car stiffer, the extra weight is nothing compared to the handling advantage you will gain, and the place to make it a lot stiffer is around the screen area, trust me:sly:

Have you found wher the centre of gravity is so you can plan around that???:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mirrage

Hi Guys!

Got the same issue. Steering angle, camber, over all weight and weight distribution. Preparing my 6spd tt for the next drifting season. Previously drove a ca18det S13 in the swedish nationals.

Only had this sup for about a month, but shes a bit on the way.

Will probobly order a jic-magic kit and try to get my hands on some spare knuckles to modify.

Really nice to see so many supra hitting the track instead of being polished.

//Best Regards, Michael Mirrage

• 2 weeks later...
:wave:

Try Fabricage, I found them to be very helpful, my price was collected in cash.

I have found the same thing with the steering, I think our main problem is once we get increased angle we will get contact with the antiroll bar.

I have also read that Delcan has used hubs from another toyota varient in order to increase lock, but I am not sure which one or if they would fit a JZA80.

I think the JZA80 is popular for drifting in Sweden but as you say there is very little information about how they modify there cars.

Dave, will be interested to chat with you fella, I was talking to, I might have this wrong, but was it Sidewaystaff who is your friend helping you build your Supra......

• 2 weeks later...