The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My '98 VVTi TT manual

SilverSoop

What I will say is that I trust few engine builders, but Toyota are in that list - if you're thinking about a new engine then I can get new shortblocks from Toyota direct at a sensible price, they aren't as much as you think. Eagle this, carrillo that and titanium the other means sodall if it's put together poorly :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeez, you're desperate to blow some money!

What I will say shane is don't listen to the advice of one trader and make your decision from that - they're there to make you buy there products, so will of course put them in a good light (not knocking Gaz here at all BTW, it's just a general good thing to do when dealing with traders)

Wait until JapFest at the weekend, go round and talk to a few of the guys that have been down these routes before - those that have gone the hybrid route, and those that have gone the single route. People like Gaz1, Wez, Pig, etc will be very willing to offer their real-world experiences...

leave the block alone;)

It's turbos that can be issues at higher mileage, it's not often you read about blown engines, it's normally turbos. So if you're replacing those with hybrids then you shouldn't have an issue.

Save the money for your tax bill:p

14. It's a VVTi...leave the cams alone...the Valcon kit is a lot of money and will bring you naff all withough sticking on a T67+ turbo.

:yeahthat: there's a lack of availability of off the shelf cams for the intake side of a VVTi, HKS are the only ones i know of. I had upgraded cams in mine and ended up replacing them with stock. Mine runs out of puff at 6kish RPM i think

i did all this when i started modding mine, complete waste of money for me as i still wanted more power, so i suggest sitting down and really think things through, is 420 to 460 fwhp going to be enough,(it was not enough for me);)

Please consider listening to a man that is in the know. Wait for a big event (maybe supra pod) and be a passenger in a couple of cars that are single and get a ride in lui's to check your happy with what you are signing up for.

I would suggest also riding with Wez or B'have as they have the screamer pipe plummed back in and a quiet exhaust (this maybe more you if your going to do more miles.)

Why not try running your turbo's at 1.4bar for a while (im sure it wont do them any good but i cant imagine they would blow too quickly then you will know after a couple of months if the power is enough for you.)

Get some UK injectors and an AFR gauge maybe an SAFC and your good to go.

THEN and only then i would suggest you make decisions.

Brakes and suspension: Chris Wilson is a must, he is very knowledgeable and his pads are excellent and have only heard great things about his suspension.

Dont get a new clutch yet as if you go single you will need to get a better one. I would suggest trying the single plate chief groover recommended as the twin and triple i have sound like the car hasnt been put together properly.

If you feel you need to drive a single to make up your mind then you can have a drive of mine. Either on a private road with no insurance or if i can put you on for a day then on the roads.

I wouldnt wish anyone to throw money at something they will be dissapointed with.

Please also keep an eye on Gaz1's engine as he is running over 600BHP (500+ RWHP (what you want)) on a stock engine. The last tests showed the engine to be in fantastic condition! There is no need to fix it unless its broken!

Sorry for the long post, but as a finisher would you like to buy my HKS Carbon Ti? Not been on the car long, couple of marks and covered in bit of rubber :eyebrows: i want to go silent, a proper sleeper.

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

If you feel you need to drive a single to make up your mind then you can have a drive of mine. Either on a private road with no insurance or if i can put you on for a day then on the roads.

I wouldnt wish anyone to throw money at something they will be dissapointed with.

can I have a go lol! :D I'm thinking about going single:innocent:

TBh it sounds like you might get bored :Pling: with only 450bhp. What are you on now? 420? 430? £15k for 20-40bhp at the most is a lot of money. Granted with a CW supension wizardry and decent brake pads your car will be an absolute weapon but I sense you want big power so perhaps instead of spending serious money on hybrids you ought to look at a GT35R or even Garrett twins (they'd look the bo**ocks too)

In regards to rebuilding the internals cos they are wearing out- you're replacing the hardiest parts of the entire motor, it'll be sensors, wires and fiddly stuff that will wear or break first.

Have you thought about variable vane turbos?

Edited by Gazboy (see edit history)

Jeez, you're desperate to blow some money!

What I will say shane is don't listen to the advice of one trader and make your decision from that - they're there to make you buy there products, so will of course put them in a good light (not knocking Gaz here at all BTW, it's just a general good thing to do when dealing with traders)

Wait until JapFest at the weekend, go round and talk to a few of the guys that have been down these routes before - those that have gone the hybrid route, and those that have gone the single route. People like Gaz1, Wez, Pig, etc will be very willing to offer their real-world experiences...

Ok yeh that's a good idea Darryl. After hearing everything everybody has said, im not sure whether to go single or go hybrids or new Twin Turbo's...:search:

TBh it sounds like you might get bored :Pling: with only 450bhp. What are you on now? 420? 430? £15k for 20-40bhp at the most is a lot of money. Granted with a CW supension wizardry and decent brake pads your car will be an absolute weapon but I sense you want big power so perhaps instead of spending serious money on hybrids you ought to look at a GT35R or even Garrett twins (they'd look the bo**ocks too)

In regards to rebuilding the internals cos they are wearing out- you're replacing the hardiest parts of the entire motor, it'll be sensors, wires and fiddly stuff that will wear or break first.

Have you thought about variable vane turbos?

Yeh you are right there Gaz, i feel 450 bhp might not be enough with hybrids...So maybe a single, or stick with the twins, i.e, like you have said GT35R or Garett twins.

Im not sure, i need to ask questions face to face and put it to comparison!

leave the block alone;)

It's turbos that can be issues at higher mileage, it's not often you read about blown engines, it's normally turbos. So if you're replacing those with hybrids then you shouldn't have an issue.

Save the money for your tax bill:p

Good call Razza lol...:D ;)

I am now of the opinion that if you have a nice stock TT you either limit mods to de catting and 1.2 bar boost, with supporting mods, or you accept a minimum of around 15K as a realistic figure for a decent single conversion. Given the value of MKIV's these days you have got to really love them to spend 15K on one. The sensible options are to either sell it and buy one someone's already gone mad on, or accept BPU as enough grunt. What you seem to be aiming for is overkill for BPU plus hybrids. You could also sell it and buy something different with more performance.

14. It's a VVTi...leave the cams alone...the Valcon kit is a lot of money and will bring you naff all withough sticking on a T67+ turbo.

I didn't actually advise on cams, just on the PE Camcon as it'll allow fine tuning of the VVTi cam, plus is an A/F controller for the larger injectors.

As Homer say's though, when you want to spec some money, its worth trying a few members car's out to see what fits you best.

I know a VVTi hybrided car will be very strong though and should hopefully fulfill your HP desires!

Gaz.

Please consider listening to a man that is in the know. Wait for a big event (maybe supra pod) and be a passenger in a couple of cars that are single and get a ride in lui's to check your happy with what you are signing up for.

I would suggest also riding with Wez or B'have as they have the screamer pipe plummed back in and a quiet exhaust (this maybe more you if your going to do more miles.)

Why not try running your turbo's at 1.4bar for a while (im sure it wont do them any good but i cant imagine they would blow too quickly then you will know after a couple of months if the power is enough for you.)

Get some UK injectors and an AFR gauge maybe an SAFC and your good to go.

THEN and only then i would suggest you make decisions.

Brakes and suspension: Chris Wilson is a must, he is very knowledgeable and his pads are excellent and have only heard great things about his suspension.

Dont get a new clutch yet as if you go single you will need to get a better one. I would suggest trying the single plate chief groover recommended as the twin and triple i have sound like the car hasnt been put together properly.

Please also keep an eye on Gaz1's engine as he is running over 600BHP (500+ RWHP (what you want)) on a stock engine. The last tests showed the engine to be in fantastic condition! There is no need to fix it unless its broken!

Sorry for the long post, but as a finisher would you like to buy my HKS Carbon Ti? Not been on the car long, couple of marks and covered in bit of rubber :eyebrows: i want to go silent, a proper sleeper.

Yeh that might be an idea actually Jon...Im going to ask Lui if i can have a ride in his and i was wondering if i could have a ride in yours at some point...just to see the difference...;) :D

What power are you putting out Jon??

However if i stick with twins but dont go with hybrids, maybe twin GT35R or Twin Garetts, what sort of power can i expect there??

How much are you selling your HKS Ti exhaust for mate??

I didn't actually advise on cams, just on the PE Camcon as it'll allow fine tuning of the VVTi cam, plus is an A/F controller for the larger injectors.

As Homer say's though, when you want to spec some money, its worth trying a few members car's out to see what fits you best.

I know a VVTi hybrided car will be very strong though and should hopefully fulfill your HP desires!

Gaz.

Thats what i am thinking...What about different turbo's though...i.e, GT35R twins or Garett twins...how does that differ in power compared to the hybrids????

But i would like to have a ride in other member's Supra's if they are willing that is...just to see exactly WHICH setup i want! :)

However if i stick with twins but dont go with hybrids, maybe twin GT35R or Twin Garetts, what sort of power can i expect there??

How much are you selling your HKS Ti exhaust for mate??

It's not a case of 'sticking with twins'. Witht he stock setup you are limited - you have either stock or hybrid turbo's which can be fitted to the stock manifold.

Most very power hungry people go for the single conversion (I.e ditching the entire stock system (manifold, downpipe, turbo's etc).

The 'big twin' setup you refer to is similar to the single conversion - it's a complete replacement on everything on that side of the engine, except it has two manifolds rather than one (each feeding a single turbo). However, they are really only for drag cars since they have much later spool, but have potential for extremely high peak power. I do not think you want to go down this route as they wouldn't be much use on a road car, and would cost significantly more than a single conversion.

I still think you're wasting your time and money here, you've not even got used to BPU yet. Get the suspension sorted, wheels and tyre's sorted out, then see if you think you need more power. Don't just just follow the 'more power' route because "thats what people do". Are you honestly finding your car lacking power on the road? Maybe get one of the more handy drivers to take you out in your car and show you what it can do?

i did all this when i started modding mine, complete waste of money for me as i still wanted more power, so i suggest sitting down and really think things through, is 420 to 460 fwhp going to be enough,(it was not enough for me);)

Lol, i think im going to be the same as you Gaz! :D

It's not a case of 'sticking with twins'. Witht he stock setup you are limited - you have either stock or hybrid turbo's which can be fitted to the stock manifold.

Most very power hungry people go for the single conversion (I.e ditching the entire stock system (manifold, downpipe, turbo's etc).

The 'big twin' setup you refer to is similar to the single conversion - it's a complete replacement on everything on that side of the engine. However, they are really only for drag cars since they have much later spool, but have potential for extremely high peak power. I do not think you want to go down this route as they wouldn't be much use on a road car, and would cost significantly more than a single conversion.

I still think you're wasting your time and money here, you've not even got used to BPU yet. Get the suspension sorted, wheels and tyre's sorted out, then see if you think you need more power. Don't just just follow the 'more power' route because "thats what people do". Are you honestly finding your car lacking power on the road? Maybe get one of the more handy drivers to take you out in your car and show you what it can do?

Ok darryl so you are saying basically stick with the twins...If i do, what are my options with the turbo's??

Either i could have hybrids with the accomodating mods or is there a possibility of different Twins...

So im looking at 450 bhp MAX for the twin setup then...

Ok darryl so you are saying basically stick with the twins...If i do, what are my options with the turbo's??

Either i could have hybrids with the accomodating mods or is there a possibility of different Twins...

So im looking at 450 bhp MAX for the twin setup then...

Why, why why do you need more power? You've only just got the car and have hardly got it to a good bpu level yet. Quite why you think you need an extra 20hp to make every "okay" is beyond me.

To be honest Shane, you're all over the place here with your posts. I think you need to have a long sit down and think about what you want from the car. Don't just jump on the modification bandwagon for the sake of it.

Not trying to put a downer on it or anything, but you're a young lad who's just bought a high powered rwd car and are now talking about "needing" 450bhp. Get used to the car first, learn how to drive it safely, then learn how to drive it fast, then see if you need more power.

All above meant in your best interests mate, nothing personal ;)