My '98 VVTi TT manual

SilverSoop

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You said you are going to see Mark at Phoenix for you decat on Friday, take this time to speak with him on what you want from the car, he is full of good advice and experience and has seen many set ups on both single and twins, including building Lui's car

You may be surprised how much money you need to spend to get a true 500 BHP at the wheels, but I know for sure you will need a mid sized single turbo, mine will still be there on Friday and it should run 500 wheel BHP with the T67, Mark will tell you how much I have spent to get there !!, take your time and do it right

Ok i'll take a peak and i'll ask him some questions on what i'll need to do. Cheers for that mate...:)

Good list.

5-6. On a Hybrid powered car you don't need anything too extreme. I'd probably go with a RPS Max and flywheel which work nice although ACT, Southbend etc also do nice options.

7. Stock block. We can sell them from Titan which are fully checked over before dispatch, its just as cheap as buying one from Toyota GB.

8. Just run a stock gasket unless you want to change compression.

11. You'll not require a manifold with the stock turbo's.

12. Endless, AP, StopTech or Brembo are good choices.

13. Pick a tuner (I'd choose Ryan) and see what he recommends.

14. I'd go with Power Enterprise 650cc injectors for future proofing in case you want to change to a small single.

HTH a little :)

Regards,

Gaz.

Ok, except i want new hybrid turbo's. Its looking most likely for stage 3 Hybrids. So that's why i want pretty much everything new engine wise. Engine, exhaust,

turbo's, manifold...everything.

So what am i expecting in total cost then??

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

Ok, except i want new hybrid turbo's. Its looking most likely for stage 3 Hybrids. So that's why i want pretty much everything new engine wise. Engine, exhaust, turbo's, manifold...everything.

If you go to some tuners with this attitued they will laugh all the way to the bank, it is complete overkill to replace everything, especially the block, a compression test to check engine health and some good supporting mods with a piggy back and your away with the hybrids

Ok, except i want new hybrid turbo's. Its looking most likely for stage 3 Hybrids. So that's why i want pretty much everything new engine wise. Engine, exhaust, turbo's, manifold...everything.

Well that list would stand you around £10k as a rough guide depending on the options choosen...

Gaz.

If you go to some tuners with this attitued they will laugh all the way to the bank, it is complete overkill to replace everything, especially the block, a compression test to check engine health and some good supporting mods with a piggy back and your away with the hybrids

I would agree with this. Personally unless you have a damn good reason to replace the engine I wouldn't bother...

84k miles is nothing really as long as its been well maintained.

Regards,

Gaz.

Yeh true i dont like a car with high mileage and when the engine gets older, things start to go wrong...

I would agree with this. Personally unless you have a damn good reason to replace the engine I wouldn't bother...

84k miles is nothing really as long as its been well maintained.

Regards,

Gaz.

Yeh thats right, but as i said to tooquicktostop, i dont like a car with high mileage...

Yeh thats right, but as i said to toquicktostop, i dont like a car with high mileage...

If you are going to replace the engine, and insist on uprated internals, you will need to get all new engine supporting items too, eg oil pump, water pump etc, then your hybrid set up and pipework, ECU/piggy back, mapping, fueling, gauges for monitor engine, I would have £15,000 at the ready, and all this will only give you a bit more power than going full BPU, I can not see ant reputable tuner recommending this however, you would be wiser if you have to have a new engine to go full BPU on you current car and have an engine fully built over the winter with a nice single turbo, you will be ready for more power by next summer :D

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

If you are going to replace the engine, then insist on uprated internals, you will need to get all new engine supporting items too, eg oil pump, water pump etc, then your hybrid set up and pipework, ECU/piggy back, mapping, fueling, gauges for monitor engine, I would have £15,000 at the ready, and all this will only give you a bit more power than going full BPU, I can not see ant reputable tuner recommending this however, you would be wiser if you have to have a new engine to go full BPU on you current car and have an engine fully built over the winter with a nice single turbo, you will be ready for more power by next summer :D

It does seem silly i know. I want pretty much the same setup as Lui has. I probably keep the block, head gasket but have everything else uprated - internally.

£15k seems about right, i'll have a word with mark on friday...:D ;)

In all honesty buddy, stay bpu or sell the car...unless you have money to throw away,

Picture this...I had a 12k car - I've spent another 15k at least on it(I'm not even finished(some of that body panels)), and I'll be lucky to get 15k back,

Unless you just want a single for bragging rights(e-bay) its not a viable option imho, to do it right just gets ridiculous.

But your not gonna listen to me anyway, I never listened when I was wanting to do it:rolleyes:

In all honesty buddy, stay bpu or sell the car...unless you have money to throw away,

Picture this...I had a 12k car - I've spent another 15k at least on it(I'm not even finished(some of that body panels)), and I'll be lucky to get 15k back,

Unless you just want a single for bragging rights(e-bay) its not a viable option imho, to do it right just gets ridiculous.

But your not gonna listen to me anyway, I never listened when I was wanting to do it:rolleyes:

No i am listening to what everyone is saying and its true. It would make more sense to go BPU and stay that way unless im going single.

However as i have said, the miles are racking up and i want new internals and have the same or almost the same setup as Lui...:D

No i am listening to what everyone is saying and its true. It would make more sense to go BPU and stay that way unless im going single.

However as i have said, the miles are racking up and i want new internals and have the same or almost the same setup as Lui...:D

Last one from me on the subject

The BIG difference with your car and Lui's is that Lui's was knackered and he had to rebuild, you dont, your cars mileage is no big deal is it has a good history of servicing

The stock engine will take hybrid power all day long, the addition of cams would help

Good luck anyway

Last one from me on the subject

The BIG difference with your car and Lui's is that Lui's was knackered and he had to rebuild, you dont, your cars mileage is no big deal is it has a good history of servicing

The stock engine will take hybrid power all day long, the addition of cams would help

Good luck anyway

Ok so if i keep the stock internals, what acccomodating parts would i also need if i went to hybrid turbo's??

Colsoop or supradibbs for chroming/polishing

IIAC neither of these are in business any more, as I read that colsoop has given up and his web-page is no longer there and supradibbs site Custom Auto Works has been unavailable for ages, as I think he is in the US of A, so maybe start looking around for new firms(maybe captainchaos may know about that :innocent:)

You are spending a fortune to gain a few BHP, relatively speaking. There's no way the stock turbo set up will make anything like 500 BHP at the flywheel. IMO you should either leave it alone or spend a fortune and do a proper single conversion. I can supply a mapped MOTEC M800 that will run all the VVTi and sequential stuff and pul a few BHP by weakening the top end to take advantage of not having cats to keep cool, but it'll be expensive for the gains involved. Personally I would say the best hybrids in the world based on stock housings with cams and a decently mapped ECU may pull about another 120 BHP tops over a stock, if you are lucky. The whole caboodle is limited by the exhaust housing sizes.

You are spending a fortune to gain a few BHP, relatively speaking. There's no way the stock turbo set up will make anything like 500 BHP at the flywheel. IMO you should either leave it alone or spend a fortune and do a proper single conversion. I can supply a mapped MOTEC M800 that will run all the VVTi and sequential stuff and pul a few BHP by weakening the top end to take advantage of not having cats to keep cool, but it'll be expensive for the gains involved. Personally I would say the best hybrids in the world based on stock housings with cams and a decently mapped ECU may pull about another 120 BHP tops over a stock, if you are lucky. The whole caboodle is limited by the exhaust housing sizes.

Hmmm ok. How much is your Motec M800 ECU chris?? :)

Ok after careful consideration and having talked to Gaz Walker at Envy, i have decided MOST things to get....

1. Full De-cat

2. Fuel Pump

3. Hybrid Turbo's (stage 3)

4. Power Enterprise Injectors (550 or 650 cc??)

5. Power Enterprise Camcon

6. GReddy Ti Exhaust

7. Single Plate clutch and flywheel - OS Giken

9. Brake pad upgrade - Endless

10. Brake line upgrade - Goodridge

11. Brake fluid upgrade (which type??)

12. Chris Wilson Suspension

13. Uprated Cams 264/264 Cams

14. HKS ECU or AEM ECU??

Just been Edited!

Looking a bit better mate

I would say 650cc injectors

Lightweight flywheels sound like a sack of spanners on tickover IMO and drove me crazy

You will need some form of fuel control ECU or a stand alone ECU if you want to be flash

Good ole Gaz at Envy to the rescue to put you straight, now just to get the cheque book out :D

4. Power Enterprise Injectors (what's the best cc size)

Depends how you plan to control them. 550cc or 650cc should be enough.

7. Twin Plate clutch (OS Geiken or RPS??)

8. Lightweight Flywheel (Which one??)

You can get single plate clutches for much less that can handle hybrid power, if you do go with OS Giken you wont need a flywheel as they are included.

9. Brake pad upgrade (which one??)

10. Brake Disc upgrade (which one??)

11. Brake line upgrade (which type??)

12. Brake fluid upgrade (which type??)

CW, Endless, TRD and Potterfield pads are all highly regarded on here. Stock discs are fine. Goodridge lines and some decent fluid should do the trick.

Are you running 2(jspec) or 4(uk) pot brakes?

14. Lastly, uprated Cams?? (264/264 Cams??)

Good option, I wouldnt go any bigger :thumbs:

14. It's a VVTi...leave the cams alone...the Valcon kit is a lot of money and will bring you naff all withough sticking on a T67+ turbo.

Brake kit: Brembo Matched kit or UK full kit w/ Carbotech/CW pads and stock discs.

Clutch: Again I'd use a single plate (more drivable) Southbend DXD-F/RPS StreetMax.

550-650cc injectors are enough.

Ok after careful consideration and having talked to Gaz Walker at Envy, i have decided MOST things to get....

1. Full De-cat

2. Fuel Pump

3. Hybrid Turbo's (stage 3)

4. Power Enterprise Injectors (what's the best cc size)

5. Power Enterprise Camcon

6. GReddy Ti Exhaust

7. Twin Plate clutch (OS Geiken or RPS??)

8. Lightweight Flywheel (Which one??)

9. Brake pad upgrade (which one??)

10. Brake Disc upgrade (which one??)

11. Brake line upgrade (which type??)

12. Brake fluid upgrade (which type??)

13. Chris Wilson Suspension

14. Lastly, uprated Cams?? (264/264 Cams??)

i did all this when i started modding mine, complete waste of money for me as i still wanted more power, so i suggest sitting down and really think things through, is 420 to 460 fwhp going to be enough,(it was not enough for me);)

Depends how you plan to control them. 550cc or 650cc should be enough.

You can get single plate clutches for much less that can handle hybrid power, if you do go with OS Giken you wont need a flywheel as they are included.

CW, Endless, TRD and Potterfield pads are all highly regarded on here. Stock discs are fine. Goodridge lines and some decent fluid should do the trick.

Are you running 2(jspec) or 4(uk) pot brakes?

Good option, I wouldnt go any bigger :thumbs:

Yeh ok thanks guys...:D

I have 4-pot uk-spec brakes...

What can i expect to pay for all this power then...:D

If you're looking to spend £15k uprating the engine incase it blows up, why not just let it blow up and buy another one? much cheaper and if maintained properly probably won't blow up in the first place. I've been BPU for 3 years. No smoking, good and healthy and for road driving is fast enough for me.

I can see singles etc pushing 500+ being ideal for the track, but considering the cost, I personally wouldn't do it and Hybrids don't give the extra power to make them worth while / cost effective IMO